PEAX Equipment

Developing a Montana Muley Strategy

Well I'm at the halfway point of my first solo diy adventure out west and decided its time to rethink my strategy. I've been trying to put a trip together with friends for years and got tired of everyone backing out when it got time to put in for tags so I decided that no matter what they did I was coming out here and I'm happy to say here I am.

I arrived in southeast Montana saturday evening after my antelope hunt in Wyoming and so far its been overwhelming. I like to think I'm a somewhat competent whitetail hunter, but that hasn't exactly translated to the Muleys. In researching for my hunt, I've searched every thread I could find, I've watched and rewatched all of randys episodes pertaining to the area, studied maps but for some reason or another I haven't been able to connect the dots.

Obviously its early in my hunt, as I have until Saturday afternoon until I have to get on the road back to Michigan, and even if I dont manage to put a buck on the ground this week, I want to feel like I know what I'm doing next time I come out here. I feel like an idiot for asking for advice, because I honestly thought I would be looking over tons of deer and the only thing that would keep me from pulling the trigger is whether or not one big enough would show up. I have seen tons of deer, but most of those deer, and all the bucks have been on private.

My current strategy has involved glassing, driving around, stopping and climbing every hill that I feel can give me a better vantage point and glassing some more. I'm perplexed that I'm having trouble turning up deer, considering just about every group of hunters I've met has filled at least one tag, and a couple of the guys I've talked to that have killed nice bucks were basically road hunting, or spotted the buck from the road before making the stalk.

I apologize for writing a novel, but I wanted to see if maybe some of the guys here with experience could share some tips on what they look for when hitting a new area.ie perhaps certain habitat types or terrain features, how they approach mornings vs evenings and even if the midday hunting is effective. Any help is appreciated.

I'll be completely honest with you , you sound like a good hunter , problem is it's October 23rd . Movement is slow this time of fall , well atleast compared to what it will be in 2 weeks . I would never do a mule deer hunt before at the very least nov 5. Rut . Rut . Rut = movement and buck sightings . Sorry I'm not a ton of help just keep plugging . Find some fs or blm or bm with some pines on it and walk around some maybe you'll luck out . Good luck to you !!!

You've got basically from 7:15-8:45 in the mornings to find them up feeding. and from 5-7 to find them in the evening. At least thats what I'm seeing right now. If you're looking in between these times they'll be tougher to find as they will be bedded or nearby in some sort of cover. You might already know this but make these times count and I'll bet you'll find something. Good luck

Be on a glassing point at daylight. And that means daylight, not an hour after. And on means “at” not “hiking to.”

I’m usually pleasantly surprised when I follow those instructions. And often times, I’d swear there wasn’t a buck in sage country if I hadn’t glassed them up at first light and known better.

It’s amazing how many hunters fail to follow that rule.

As other posters have said, you came about 2 weeks too early, but make do with what you have.

I went on my first mule deer hunt in Wyoming this year. The advice you received about being at the best vantage point early and late is all you need. Once they bed down its nearly impossible to find them. Me and my buddy would laugh because there were most likely deer at every glassing location we stopped, but most of the time we couldn't find them.

You can find muley's any time of day. You just have to know where they will be bedded. Any cut, gully, ect, with some semblance of brush should hold some deer. Just start walking and you should jump some deer. Once you know where they bed, you can look at a lot of places and see bedding areas all over the place.

Be on a glassing point at daylight. And that means daylight, not an hour after. And on means “at” not “hiking to.”

I’m usually pleasantly surprised when I follow those instructions. And often times, I’d swear there wasn’t a buck in sage country if I hadn’t glassed them up at first light and known better.

This is the best advice. With the wind we have had the last two days the bucks will be bedded down quick. Stay out all day. Driving around and short hikes covering country may work during the rut. Now cover less country more thoroughly. The rut has its advantages but it also has disadvantages. It is likely that there will be at least two to three times the number of hunters during the rut. Many of the public bucks will head to private to be with the does. If you locate a buck now he will likely be near by the whole week, during the rut he could miles away the next day. Don't get discouraged and keep at it.
What part of SE MT are you hunting?

This is the best advice. With the wind we have had the last two days the bucks will be bedded down quick. Stay out all day. Driving around and short hikes covering country may work during the rut. Now cover less country more thoroughly.

Yes. Covering more ground doesn’t mean seeing more deer. Pick a few spots you think have deer and hunt them thoroughly. Don’t be afraid to walk through some gullies or closer to some of the thick brush from glassing tit to glassing tit, either.

I went to central Montana mule deer hunt few years back on oct 28-nov 4th . Was worst hunting I've ever had . Saw lots of deer just not a buck worth anything . We took forkys to fill our tags but man that was brutal . Rancher told us week later we would have filled on respectable bucks easily

Good Luck! This exact scenario is my fear of what will happen to us on our first trip out next year. I'm sending as many positive vibes your way as I can. It seems like you've gotten some good advice. I hope your luck or the deer movement turns around for you.

As other posters have said, you came about 2 weeks too early, but make do with what you have.

Use the middle of the day to find likely looking country.
When you find a spot to glass from because it looks like it should hold deer make sure you are there before daylight like belly-deep said and make sure you stay there until it is too dark to see.
Deer have a habit of materializing out of nowhere at last light. If there are deer in the area there will be fresh tracks and droppings to verify.
Hang in there and good luck to you.

Good Luck! This exact scenario is my fear of what will happen to us on our first trip out next year. I'm sending as many positive vibes your way as I can. It seems like you've gotten some good advice. I hope your luck or the deer movement turns around for you.

When exactly , and where are you going ?

I'm not sure whats considered alot of pressure here, I will say compared to Michigan its amazing how much country you have to yourself out here. More people out on the national forest, but other than the main roads, i only saw one group of hunters in the area i was checking out yesterday. There aren't a ton of guys but it almost seems like every time i come up to a spot that looks good to explore, ill find a vehicle parked there. So alot of my focus has been spots where im not seeing people and maybe thats my problem. Ive been staying in broadus but I think im going to pack up and explore elsewhere today, not sure where yet

I'm not sure whats considered alot of pressure here, I will say compared to Michigan its amazing how much country you have to yourself out here. More people out on the national forest, but other than the main roads, i only saw one group of hunters in the area i was checking out yesterday. There aren't a ton of guys but it almost seems like every time i come up to a spot that looks good to explore, ill find a vehicle parked there. So alot of my focus has been spots where im not seeing people and maybe thats my problem. Ive been staying in broadus but I think im going to pack up and explore elsewhere today, not sure where yet

Thanks - I was just wondering, after all the commotion was made earlier this year about SE MT. Enough commotion that I didn't draw at least.

Best of luck to you!

Wait until first and second week in November then southeastern Montana will be bumper to bumper

MiStickSliger, from a fellow Michigander please keep us posted, Hoping nothing but the best for you. I'll be learning these lessons next year. I wish I had something better to offer other than never give up. Success can come quickly and out of nowhere.

Cover some ground on foot away from the roads and vehicle traffic and you will get into nicer deer. They don't get big by being dumb. They aren't interested in rutting yet so they are probably in small Bach groups still. I find most hunters in Montana won't go far from the truck and miss tons of deer. Get in deeper find a good glassing point and find them they are there. Tough early in season.

Good luck! Will be in the Broadus area hunting this weekend through the following week. Have a few spots where my wife and I went and scouted and did some shed hunting in that we will be checking out.

Back