Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

DeLorme InReach SE???

BlakeA

Do any of you use this product? I'm looking at getting some type of satellite system for when I venture off grid each fall. I've been putting it off for a few years but I need to get something in case I have an issue in the backcountry. I would really appreciate any reviews/info on this product or any other types of satellite phones anyone would recommend. Thanks!

I was going to find you a couple more but got sidetracked looking for an asian wife.

Attachments

• Hunting 190.jpg
    Hunting 190.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 438
Thank you for sharing the info Paul. I have looked into the In-reach also, and I'm glad I haven't bought one quite yet. Any idea when these will be available and for how much $$ ?

Edit: I have sent some emails out to some vendors of these IridiumGo units. I will report back what I find.

Last edited:
Looks like the iridium go is going to run about $875 and service is $499 for 6 months or $749 for a year PLUS $1.50 to $2.50 a minute for phone calls and .25 to .42 per outgoing text message.

Out of my price range by about 3 or 4 times.

http://www.sattransusa.com/irid-go.html

Same here! Delorme's seems to be in my price range. I will give a review if I end up getting one! Thanks for the input guys

Looks like the iridium go is going to run about $875 and service is $499 for 6 months or $749 for a year PLUS $1.50 to $2.50 a minute for phone calls and .25 to .42 per outgoing text message.

Out of my price range by about 3 or 4 times.

http://www.sattransusa.com/irid-go.html

Wow. This is the first time I have seen pricing. I guess I'll look at alternatives too.

After some emails about the IridiumGo, I have found it to be too expensive for myself also. $825 minus $50 rebate, no activation fee, plus 49.95/month for 12 month contract. ($250 penalty for early terminations so you have to do a full year). = $1374 for first year and 599.40 each year after buying the unit. and that's for the smallest plan with only 5 minutes per month included, 1.49 per minute after that.

SOOOO< if anyone has InReach experiences to share please do so. If I buy one I need to be sure it can get a signal in a CO creek bottom between 2 mountains. Maybe a satellite phone rental would be a better option.?

Delorme is a quality company, their headquarters are located in Freeport, Maine. The same place as L.L. Bean. The company creator is a veteran, and I have used their products both here and overseas. They products that holdup. I have never used this communication program myself, but I have used their GPS that are capable of using the program and they work without a hitch.

Just my 2 cents

Curtis

I saw a discussion on another website and hadn't realized DeLorme had restructured their subscription plans. MUCH more affordable now than when I researched them last year.

$24.95 annually then just $14.95 per month for the months you want to use it for the basic plan. You can suspend your account, move up or down plans, etc. at no charge. The basic plan has unlimited preset messages and tracking with 10 text messages per month, but overage is only 50 cents per message so if you planned ahead on the preset messages you could probably do pretty well with the basic plan.

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/product-info/subscription-plans.php

npaden- Thanks for that update! I've had an inReach for almost 2 years, but haven't activated it as I've not had the tags to require it. That's changed this year! :D So, that new cost structure will take some of the sting out of it at least.

Just read through it all one more time and it looks like the tracking is not free on the $14.95 per month plan. It does have unlimited preset messages for sure. To get the tracking you have to upgrade to the $34.95 plan.

I have an inReach and love it. I can stay in touch with my kids and fiancé when I'm out hunting and it gives her the piece of mind that I can get help if I get hurt while hunting alone. Definitely a good investment.

I used one up in AK for a month. Worked great for texting the wife and checking in. Can't say about reception in the bottom of CO valley though, but it worked in all places I tried it in AK but didn't really challenge the 'sky view' there.

I'm looking at getting one myself, I was impressed.

You guys that are using them are you using the stand alone versions or the ones that link up to your smart phone?

Back