MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Decisions

Taylor13

I’m only have 1 point for the Wyoming elk draw, so I’m building for a couple years to draw a halfway decent general unit. So for now I am planning on going after a cow elk. Now here is where my question starts. There are going to be either 3 or 4 trying to go on the hunt this year. Without asking for units or anything like that, would you suggest we just get an otc tag in Colorado and try and go after cows, or would it be possible for us to all 4 get cow tags in a unit in Wyoming that isn’t covered up with private land? I saw that Wyoming doesn’t have group apps for elk, so that is kind of our hold up. Just trying to get a nudge in the right direction. Thanks for any insight anyone is willing to offer.

Wyoming does have a party draw for up to six hunters to draw together on, with all applying for the same tag as first, second choice etc...
Have you thought of applying for a general, regional deer tag in an area that you may try to hunt elk in the future?
It's a great way to hunt and learn the area at the same time. A lot cheaper for a deer tag than an elk hunt in an area that you may have no knowledge of to find elk in too.
Many regional deer tags can be drawn with no points. An elk hunt in Wyoming is 2-3 points for archery tag or 3-4 minimum points for rifle hunt, normally.

First person that applys will be given a party ID # and that number will be needed by the other applicants in the party when they apply.
Lots of time to apply for a deer tag compared to an elk tag also. So if you go for a cow tag and are unsuccessful, you still have time to try for deer draw. Then there is the leftover draw for any tags that didn't get drawn in the regular draw. Some units have leftover cow tags on a regular basis.
Lots of options in Wyoming.

Does everyone need a tag? If so do a party app in Wyoming for a Type 6 cow tag. You can also throw in on the full-price draw and hope to get lucky, decent odds for the general. If your group would be happy with just one or 2 tags amongst you, you can all apply separately and increase the odds that at least one or two guys will get a tag.

Make sure to spend a lot of time in the regs and understand any restrictions that may be placed on the tags you're applying for.

If you don't draw Wyoming, you can then look to Colorado or elsewhere as a backup.

For a cow elk hunt with 3-4 people wanting to go...Is it feasible for us to be able to get 3-4 cow elk tags in an area of Wyoming that is not extremely steep, treacherous terrain? And if so, are the odds of killing those cow elk pretty decent in non treacherous terrain?

And what month would you recommend going? September? January? What are pros/cons of early season vs late season? Is elk migration a factor in this? IF SO, is there a website or source of information to find these migration travel patterns?

I know this is a bunch of questions, i'm just hoping someone is willing to dump a lot of knowledge into this thread. A first time elk hunt for an east coast native is very intimidating. So muchhh too learn in so little time.

PS- On a positive note, Taylor13 and I did manage to kill two antelope in September of this year, so maybe were not completely hopeless in our next outwest adventure (elk hunting).

Personally, I'm still figuring out the elk hunting strategy. From what I have learned so far, knowing the area and where elk go after the shooting starts is 80% of the battle.
Good luck guys.
No matter what, there's only one way to get first hand knowledge and that is to get out there.

Thanks for the info guys. From everything we’ve read and looked at, the cows will be in easier terrain later in the season. But it will be a lot colder. One of the guys going with us is older and is nervous about both of those factors. I’d be more than happy with a mule deer hunt while they’re hunting cows though!

I would get a cow tag and hunt during bull season before burning points. If I’m hunting in October I’m not worried about where the elk are in September. You may find that early snow blocks access into the area also

Back