Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Dead woofs

Well I like them but not so close to civilization. I used to hunt birds a lot and as wolves moved into the country I hunted, I left the country. Not interested in having one of my dogs be a wolf's meal. Wolves are dangerous predator's and need to be given room. It's not the one that runs from you but the one that doesn't!

Don’t wolves get removed today if they kill livestock?
Wolves get removed when they kill livestock after investigations to try and pinpoint who the culprit is. The process also includes non-lethal options to try and mitigate the effect of increasing wolf populations and wolf-livestock encounters. It's irritating to some when the quickest and most effective method of killing them is delayed or denied by "the gubmint". Here in Oregon, we didn't import wolves purposely, they found their way here from neighboring states who did release them. ODFW is trying to manage them in a way that protects the species and provides a way for livestock owners to recoup damages. You can understand, though, that an owner who has thousands of dollars invested in their livelihood would be frustrated by their inability to manage those encounters on their own. Shoot, shovel and shut-up is a catchy phrase but it won't and shouldn't prevail in the long run.

Shoot, shovel and shut-up is a catchy phrase but it won't and shouldn't prevail in the long run.
And it hasn't worked. See Montana. Lots of bravado years ago about how they wouldn't get established. Not one single wolf was reintroduced into Montana. So much for SSS. mtmuley

Sorry if I hurt your feelings.

I have been involved with the wolf issue in Montana since the beginning
and ya it’s fear. Fear from both sides.

One side fears hunters will kill too many including pregnant females and pups.

The other side fears that wolves will kill pets, kids and wipe out game and livestock.

It’s fear when it comes to wolves.
Just like this crap.

I don’t love and I don’t hate them but like muley said, there here and we have to deal with them.
Thanks but you didn't hurt my feelings. I objected to the mischaracterization of why a lot of hunters don't want (un-managed) wolves everywhere. In my experience, they can have quite the impact on big game (behavior and numbers), and livestock.

And dealing with them (legally), and wanting them on the landscape (which some HT members advocate), are not the same thing.

I've hunted in NE Oregon since the early 1990s, before wolves (and the mid-1990s ballot initiative prohibition against hunting lion and bear with hounds). So I know what hunting used to be like, and how many big game animals were around. It can't all be blamed on climate change and an occasional sever winter.

Below is a 2022 ODFW map of the number of Oregon wolf packs. The article at issue in this post relates to wolves killed in S. Oregon. Note the packs in NE Oregon.

NE Oregon is also where the donated wolves to CO came from (and I'd read that at least one or two of those donated wolves already had a history of killing livestock in Oregon):

ODFW Wolf pack map 2022 StatewideMap_221231_WithLabels - Copy.jpg

NE Oregon is also where the donated wolves to CO came from (and I'd read that at least one or two of those donated wolves already had a history of killing livestock in Oregon):

View attachment 316202
Please cite your source for the statement that some of the wolves sent to CO are known to have attacked livestock.

Not okay! We voted for rehoming vegan wolves, not carnivorous ones.

Please cite your source for the statement that some of the wolves sent to CO are known to have attacked livestock.

Not okay! We voted for rehoming vegan wolves, not carnivorous ones.

I thought they're mostly vegan since they don't impact ungulate populations. Don't look a gift wolf in the mouth:

“Once a pack has started depredating, then they would probably continue to include livestock in their diet in the future,” said John Williams, the co-chair of the Oregon Cattlemen’s Association Wolf Committee. “That does not mean they will always eat on livestock and it does not mean they will do it regularly. It means they know livestock is a viable and good source of food and when the situation arises, it would not surprise me to see them depredating.”

Colorado Parks and Wildlife on Dec. 18 released five wolves captured in Oregon in a remote corner of Grand County. The agency late Friday said wildlife biologists had released five more Oregon wolves — four yearling females and an adult male — in the last four days on state-owned land in Grand and Summit counties. The locations are being kept secret.

Oregon’s Five Points pack was 12 wolves at the end of 2022. Four animals from Five Points pack were killed — two adult females, one adult male and a yearling female — in response to what Oregon officials called “chronic depredation of livestock.” The history of the recently released wolves was first reported by The Fence Post.

A pair of siblings — a male and female, both yearlings — from the Five Points pack were captured Dec. 17 in Oregon and released in Grand County the next day. The two wolves released this week were yearlings, meaning they were likely born in April 2022 and not adept hunters when the Five Points pack was killing livestock in northeast Oregon this summer.

Travis Duncan with Colorado Parks and Wildlife said any wolves that have been near livestock will have some history of depredation “and this includes all packs in Oregon.”

Wolves repatriating themselves back into Montana via meaningless boundaries for those human reintroduced in Idaho and Wyoming...
And the Super woofs that blew houses down in Canada, along our NW Montana border, sure didn't shine their issued passports when they opted to traverse into MT Koocanusa - GNP.

Utah will not reintroduce wolves either... Colorado has set this in motion for them.

ANTI-ESA efforts by the Center for B.S. Diversity are working hard to reverse current USFWS intent especially with the looming Presidential election ahead.

Damn Trophy Hunters! 🤣

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back