Yeti GOBOX Collection

Damn Poachers

The biggest problem I see with the fines as mentioned usually are coming from a judge or a prosecutor. Most of them just don't really get wildlife crimes no matter the effort being put in by the officer to make a case.

Just drove by there this morning. Wish it could happen while I happened to be traveling through.

Two more...

12/1/2011
Division of Wildlife Poaching Alert: Pinewood Lake and Boulder

DENVER -- Colorado Parks and Wildlife officers are investigating two wildlife crimes in northeastern Colorado.

In Pinewood Lake, a large bull elk was killed Thanksgiving night or early the next morning. The incident occurred off Larimer County Road 18E, just west of the intersection with James Park Trail. Only the head, hindquarters, and backstraps were removed from the bull and the remainder was left to rot.

In Boulder, a 4 x 6 mule deer was found dead on Wednesday, Nov. 30 off Cloverleaf Drive. The trophy-sized animal displayed wounds which may have resulted from being shot, though officers are unsure if it was shot at that location.

Operation Game Thief is offering a $500 reward in each case. Operation Game Thief provides rewards for information that leads to the arrest of a suspect in poaching cases. Anyone with information can anonymously report information toll-free to Operation Game Thief at 877-265-6648 (877-COLO-OGT). Information about the case can also be e-mailed to [email protected].

I got a bit of satisfaction last month when I turned in a poacher here in Illinois. He ended up confessing and was found guilty of 15 violations. His hunting priviledges had already been revoked last year. He has no money and is unemployed so I don't know what they are going to do with him.

Put the SOB out cleaning roads or digging ditches for a couple years and maybe he and others will get the message!!!

Put the SOB out cleaning roads or digging ditches for a couple years and maybe he and others will get the message!!!

Here in Illinois, cleaning roads and digging ditches are UNION JOBS. The unions bought and paid for our governors (until they go to jail) and most of the legislators ages ago, and they mean to get their money's worth.

Seriously....do the other western states have these stories this frequently?:mad:

12/5/2011
Division of Wildlife Mule deer carcass discovered near Rangely

RANGELY, Colo. - Colorado Parks and Wildlife officers are asking the public for any information that can help identify the person or persons who shot and abandoned a mule deer buck along Rio Blanco County Road 116, south of Rangely.

Only the buck's head had been removed, leaving the carcass in the field to rot.

"We appreciate the public's help with any information that can help stop this senseless waste," said District Wildlife Manager Terry Wygant. "Poachers steal from everybody and take opportunity away from legal hunters, and we will do all we can to stop it."

Investigators believe the incident occurred on or around the afternoon of Friday, Dec. 2.

Anyone with information is encouraged to call the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Meeker Service Center at 970-878-6090, or if they wish to remain anonymous, they can call the Operation Game Thief Hotline at 877-COLO-OGT.

Callers to Operation Game Thief are eligible for a $500 cash reward if their information leads to a citation or arrest in this case.

Not sure if they do or not, but I'm sure they have just as much actual poaching going on.

I found a whitetail on the side of the county road near my house with the head removed along with the backstraps and hindquarters. I reported it to Texas Parks and Wildlife and never saw any kind of official report or notice on it. I had trail camera pictures of it even and it had fairly unique antlers. The warden was nice and said they would look into it, but they didn't cape it so obviously it wasn't going to a taxidermist so he didn't think they had much chance.

P.S. - There isn't even a deer season in the county where I live and on top of that this buck was shot before the season opened anyway.

backyard_buck_closeup.jpg

DEERFIELD TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) - Here's some advice for hunters who don't follow the law: Don't wear a hat that promotes breaking it. During the traditional deer season last month, state conservation officer Jeremy Payne stopped a pickup truck with two hunters in central Michigan's Isabella County. They were from Maine, and 1 of the hunters was wearing a cap that said, "Registered Maine Poacher." Payne checked their guns and paperwork and found that the Mainers were illegally hunting with Michigan resident licenses, a savings of more $100 each. The officer later found two deer that had been killed illegally.

Registered20Poacher20hat.jpg

Merry Christmas...

12/27/2011
Poaching Alert: Christmas Eve elk in Fairplay

DENVER -- Colorado Parks and Wildlife officers are seeking information on a brazen poacher who shot two large bull elk shot just off a main highway two miles south of Fairplay on Christmas Eve, Sat. Dec. 24.

The elk were both shot less than 80 yards off Hwy. 285. The poacher cut the heads off and took minimal back strap meat, leaving the majority of the animals to rot.

"Citizens have already come forward with some critical information about the time they were shot," said Mark Lamb, district wildlife manager for South Park. "I'm sure others out there can help us identify the poacher. This crime showed a complete disregard for our wildlife and our game laws. We are anxious to bring this poacher to justice."

Anyone with information about this case or who may have witnessed suspicious activity is encouraged contact Operation Game Thief at 877-265-6648 or call Officer Lamb at 719-836-2207.

A costly 'lope. I'd like to see more penalties like this.

Burns Man Receives Heavy Fines for Poaching
Antelope Near Saratoga
1/23/2012

CHEYENNE - A Burns man has received heavy fines, loss of hunting privileges, and probation following his conviction of poaching a buck antelope near Saratoga on Nov. 2, 2011.

Thomas Greenwood, 28, was fined a total of $16,180 by Carbon County Circuit Court Judge Jane Eakin. In addition, his rifle was confiscated, he received six years suspension of hunting privileges, 18 months probation, and a one year suspended jail sentence.

Greenwood shot the buck antelope just off Hwy. 130 north of Saratoga, because he had always wanted to "kill anantelope." A unique set of circumstances led to his arrest. Elk Mountain highway patrolman Tim Romig was traveling the same direction and saw a dying antelope near the road and a pickup speeding down the highway. Romig pulled the vehicle over and Greenwood confessed to shooting the antelope. Romig called Elk Mountain game warden Ryan Kenneda who arrived shortly on the scene and also received a confession from Greenwood.

Greenwood was charged with numerous violations including wanton destruction of a big game animal, shooting from avehicle, shooting the animal without a license, hunting in a closed season, and shooting the antelope with a caliber illegal for big game hunting. In addition, patrolman Romig issued Greenwood citations for shooting from a public road, reckless endangerment, and illegal parking since Greenwood stopped on the highway to shoot the animal.

Kenneda said it was due to the alertness of patrolman Romig, noticing the dying antelope and associating the pickup with the incident, that Greenwood was caught. In assessing the penalties, Judge Eakin told Greenwood that wildlife is one of Wyoming's jewels and wildlife crimes are taken very seriously.

Kenneda said this is just one more instance of an illegal kill depriving legal hunters of harvesting an animal in future years. The season in the hunt area had closed on Oct. 31.
(Contact: Al Langston (307) 777-4540)

-WGFD-

Ssdy......

10/4/2012
Division of Wildlife
Elk killed illegally near Telluride

Telluride, Colo. -- A bull elk was killed illegally near Telluride about a week ago and Colorado Parks and Wildlife officials are seeking information on this poaching incident.

The manager of the West Meadows subdivision found the elk within the gated community on sept. 28. The animal was shot with a rifle, its head had been cut off and removed, and it had been partially field dressed. District wildlife officer Joe Koch said that the elk also had been dragged some distance by an all terrain vehicle. He said the animal was probably killed the weekend of Sept. 22.

"The manager said that he'd seen some large bulls within the subdivision's property, so if anyone saw any suspicious activity there we want to hear from you," Koch said.

Poaching is a significant problem in Colorado. Wildlife officers rely on the help from the public to solve these crimes.

"Not only did the poacher kill a magnificent animal illegally, this takes away wildlife resources from all Colorado residents and ethical sportsmen and sportswomen," Koch said.

If you have any information about this incident, please call the Parks and Wildlife office in Montrose at 970-252-6000, or Operation Game Thief at 877-265-6648, or by e-mail at [email protected].

Tips can be made anonymously. Rewards are possible for tips that lead to a conviction.

And another....

10/4/2012
Division of Wildlife

Poaching Alert: Louviers

DENVER -- Colorado Parks and Wildlife officers are investigating a wildlife crime in the community of Louviers, off Colorado Highway 85 between Chatfield State Park and Sedalia.

A large bull elk was killed sometime between Monday, Sept. 3 and early Wednesday, Sept. 5 at DuPont Open Space (http://www.douglas.co.us/openspace/Dupont.html).

After being shot, the animal's head was removed and the cape was discarded. The "cape" is the hide and skin from underneath the shoulders to the head of the animal. The cape was found dumped in brush in the area. The rest of the animal was left to rot.

"Evidence was found at the scene pointing to the culprit," said investigating officer Matt Martinez. "We are talking with birders in the area about what they saw and we are asking anyone else in the vicinity during that time to come forward with information that can help us prosecute this wasteful crime."

Operation Game Thief is offering up to a $1000 reward in this case. Operation Game Thief provides rewards for information that leads to the arrest of a suspect in poaching cases. Anyone with information can contact Officer Martinez at 303-325-4185 or can anonymously report information toll-free to Operation Game Thief at 877-265-6648 (877-COLO-OGT). Information about the case can also be e-mailed to [email protected].

And another....

10/9/2012
Division of Wildlife

POACHING ALERT: Pueblo County

PUEBLO, Colo - Wildlife officers are investigating a poaching crime involving a large buck deer found near mile marker 85 on Hwy. 96 east of Pueblo. The head and antlers were removed.

"It looks like the deer might have been shot somewhere else and dumped along Highway 96," said Quentin Springer of Colorado Parks and Wildlife.

Wildlife officers hope someone may have heard or seen something that may shed light on the incident. There is a $500 reward if a tip results in a citation.

Anyone with information can call Springer at 719-565-9562 or contact Operation Game Thief at 877-265-6648. Verizon cell phone users can dial #OGT. Tips can be e-mailed to [email protected].

Thats a shame I wish those guys would get nailed to the wall, the anti hunters just eat that s-it up, makes us look bad.

Poaching does NOT equal hunting. PETA and others will try to lump together, we know the extreme difference.

if a person is taking an animal to feed his family ,..I'd turn the other way any time of the year,..but lately here,..reports of deer are being found in a pile,..missing thier heads,..I found one myself last year,..big bodied buck missing his head just tossed on the side of the road ,,gun shot during bow season,..better hope I don't witness them doing any part of the illegal action,..it turns my stomache ..big buck or doe,..to see it go to waste,...
what motivates a person to do this,..? kicks?
here if you take a deer legally and dont want the meat,..just want the mount,..the soup kitchen will take the deer and have it processed,..they are limited on how many they will take,..but usually ,..if they wont take it,..they know of a place that will,,or a family that will.

Back