Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Damn Poachers

Nemont

3259.jpg

Information Sought in Elk Poaching Case South of Chinook in Blaine County

Wednesday, November 16th 2011

CHINOOK, Mont. – State wildlife investigators are seeking help from the public regarding the illegal shooting of a large bull elk south of Chinook in Blaine County.

Havre-area Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks Warden Ron Howell said the
7x7 bull was shot sometime between 5 p.m. on Sun., Nov. 6 and 7 a.m. on Mon., Nov. 7 off the Clear Creek Road. The elk’s head and antlers were left intact, and all of the meat was left to rot.

Anyone with information about the poaching case is asked to call Howell directly at 406-262-2407, FWP Region 6 Warden Sgt. Shane Reno at 406-262-3133, or FWP’s 24-hour TIP-MONT hotline at 1-800-847-6668. Callers can remain anonymous and may be eligible for a cash reward up to $1,000.

What a waste, hope they can track down some information. Some of my favorite country in Montana.

That is absolutely disgusting! People actually get joy out of shooting an elk and leaving it like that??? I don't understand....

I hate to see this kind of stuff. If legally taken that would have been quite a trophy for someone.

I hope they catch the guy that did it. In the mean time I hope he's stewing on the inside about what he did.

SERIOUSLY!!!! I am getting tired of these postings. Its good to get the word out there of all these things and I really wish we had a better way of managing and stopping these idiots.

Unreal. I dont get it. With the elk untouched it appeared maybe a wounded elk that was never found, but by the looks of the surroundings there, this elk is out in the wide open fields for all to see. makes me sick

To sad to bad just sucks I hope they catch and hangle the gutless wonders.

It is so common these days it's ridiculous. Hard to believe how few of these cases are solved, and I can't imagine how many go undetected.

The last month in CO:

11/15/2011
Division of Wildlife
Poaching Alert: Deer in Larimer County

DENVER -- Colorado Parks and Wildlife officers are investigating a wildlife crime in Larimer County involving a large buck mule deer shot in the town of Pinewood Springs on private property along Kiowa Road on Thursday, Nov 10.

The deer, noted by local residents and often seen, was shot in the early afternoon before 3 p.m. The entire carcass, including the trophy-sized 5 x 6 antlers, was left to waste.

Anyone with information about this case or who may have witnessed suspicious activity can contact Operation Game Thief at 877-265-6648.

11/12/2011
Division of Wildlife
Deer carcass left to waste in Parachute

PARACHUTE, Colo. - Colorado Parks and Wildlife officers are asking for help in finding the person, or persons responsible for taking only the head and antlers from a mule deer found dead on the north side of County Road 300, across from the High Mesa Road.

Anyone with information is urged to call the Colorado Parks and Wildlife office in Grand Junction at 970-255-6100, or if they wish to remain anonymous, they can also call Operation Game Thief at 1-877-265-6648. OGT is offering $500 for information that leads to a citation. In addition, both Williams Petroleum and EnCana have offered to match that amount, bringing the total reward to $1500.

Officers believe the buck, which had been highly visible along the roadside during the past two weeks, was likely killed on late Monday, Nov. 7 or early the next morning.

"It was a nice buck, and several people had seen it recently," said District Wildlife Manager Elissa Knox. "We ask the public to call us if they have any information about who may have taken the head and antlers."

Taking trophy parts and leaving a carcass to waste is a serious offense that carries substantial penalties, and can include felony charges.

11/7/2011
Division of Wildlife
Information on Pueblo bear poaching sought

PUEBLO, Colo - Colorado Parks and Wildlife officers are investigating a poaching crime near Avondale involving a bear shot on private property sometime either Tuesday Nov. 1, or Wednesday Nov. 2.

The female bear was found by a hunter near Olson Rd. and 53rd Lane. "Two cubs were spotted nearby, but they were around 65 pounds each so we think they have a good chance to make it on their own," said District Wildlife Manager Gretchen Holschuh.

Wildlife officers hope someone may have heard or seen something that may shed light on the incident. Anyone with information about this case, or who may have witnessed suspicious activity, can contact Operation Game Thief at 877-265-6648 or call Holschuh directly at 719-250-9089.

11/3/2011
Division of Wildlife
Poaching Alert: Deer in Douglas County

DENVER -- Colorado Parks and Wildlife officers are investigating a wildlife crime in Douglas County involving a deer dumped on the side of Sugar Creek Road between the evening of Thurs. Oct. 27 and Sat. Oct. 29.

The partially field-dressed deer was found on the west side of the road, also known as CO 67, two miles south of Sprucewood in western Douglas County between Sedalia and Deckers. The head was removed.

The area near the found carcass has multiple dirt bike trails and the forest is used heavily by recreational dirt bikers and hunters, as well as anglers. Wildlife officers are hoping that someone recreating in the area may have seen something that may shed light on the incident. Anyone with information about this case or who may have witnessed suspicious activity can contact Operation Game Thief at 877-265-6648.

11/1/2011
Division of Wildlife
Elk illegally killed in Fremont Co

CANON CITY, Colo. - Colorado Parks and Wildlife is asking the public to help solve a poaching crime in Fremont County.

Two dead elk were discovered late last week along High Park Rd. (Fremont Co. Rd. 11) in northeast Fremont County. The hind quarters of one of the elk was taken, but the rest of the animals were abandoned.

"High Park Road is well traveled, so we hope someone might have seen something and will come forward with information that will solve this crime," said Wildlife Officer Bob Carochi. "Anyone who provides information becomes eligible for a cash reward from Operation Game Thief if their information leads to a citation or arrest."

Callers can contact Carochi at 719-276-8844 or Operation Game Thief toll-free at 1-877-265-6648. Verizon cell phone users can dial #OGT. Email tips can be sent to Operation Game Thief via at [email protected].

10/28/2011
Division of Wildlife
Officers seek info in moose death

SILVERTHORNE, Colo. -Colorado Parks and Wildlife officers are asking the public for assistance in locating a hunter who may have illegally killed a bull moose near Silverthorne on Oct. 22. Several people hiking along the Gore Range and Rock Creek/Pebble Creek Trail reported that they encountered a hunter who told them he had shot a bull moose by mistake, but the individual has yet to report the incident to wildlife officers.

The popular trail is approximately seven miles north of Silverthorne, and officers are asking anyone who may have witnessed the incident, or spoke to the hunter that day to call Shannon Schwab, Colorado Parks and Wildlife Officer in Summit County at 970-485-3081. Callers wishing to remain anonymous can contact Operation Game Thief toll-free at 1-877-265-6648. Operation Game Thief offers a reward if a tip leads to a citation.

10/25/2011
Division of Wildlife
Info sought in Teller County deer poaching

WOODLAND PARK, Colo. - Colorado Parks and Wildlife is looking for information about a dead buck deer found near the Turkey Rock subdivision in Teller County. Hunters discovered the partially hidden carcass of the deer off Forest Service Trail 717 in game management unit 511.

"Due to the condition of the carcass, it's likely that the deer was killed during the first rifle season," said District Wildlife Manager Tonya Sharp. "First rifle season is an elk only season in Colorado so we would like to hear from anyone who might know what happened."

Individuals with information can call Sharp at 719-227-5281. Callers who wish to remain anonymous can call Operation Game Thief toll-free at 1-877-265-6648. Tips can also be submitted via email at [email protected].

Any poaching is enough to get a guy PO'd, but Oak, that is crazy. I thought it was bad when I was there and CO DOW talked about how many moose had been shot when mistaken for elk. That much poaching is beyond anything I would have guessed. And, like you said, I suspect only a small portion of it makes the newspapers.

Any poaching is enough to get a guy PO'd, but Oak, that is crazy. I thought it was bad when I was there and CO DOW talked about how many moose had been shot when mistaken for elk. That much poaching is beyond anything I would have guessed. And, like you said, I suspect only a small portion of it makes the newspapers.

Wait until your game herds are decimated, then anything extra is huge. We still get lots of poachers here in the Root. 3 of the special mule deer bucks in 270 were poached last week. People called tip Mont and busted those. Our club bought a bunch of signs and posted them in that Hunting district. Telling people that the area was limited entry and numbers to call. Hope those helped. We need to get active. When you see something questionable, ACT!

Sad to see! I think that more people need to speak up when anything is fishy. There always has to be someone who knows besides the shooter! Seems those type of people like to brag!

I saw something suspect today. I took a picture of their license plate thinking about calling someone. Later I saw a fish cop driving out and told him the story and showed him the picture of the license plate. Made me feel better about it. He thought it seemed weird as well.

From another press release by CDOW (or CPW, now?): "Poaching continues to be a major issue in Colorado. Studies in various states indicate that poachers kill almost as many animals as legitimate hunters do during legal seasons."

Full story here.

I just don't understand...

Since 1981, Operation Game Thief has received more than 5,000 reports of poaching, resulting in more than 900 convictions. These convictions netted more than $800,000 in fines, and have resulted in the seizure of more than 1,300 illegally-taken animals. During this time period, rewards of more than $150,000 have been paid to citizens who reported suspected illegal activity.

That averages a little less than $900 per conviction. I'm wondering how much this is costing the taxpayer/hunter to convict?

It sould be $10,000 per conviction.

Good point Bambi. It should be higher. But the vast majority of those "convictions" are nothing more than the guy that writes a check to pay for the trespass violation, etc, he just scratched his John Hancock on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back