Dall Ram Success!

SPOTTED OWL

I had great hunt out of Healy. I ended up shooting a 38" x 13.5" 9 year old ram on the first day. I had a great guide, and the weather was awesome. I am glad a chose the first hunt. We had over 2 days to scout. We saw about 30 rams, and shot this ram out of a band of 18. If I had sheep fever before the hunt, I realy have it now.

Good luck to the rest of you sheep hunters this year!

Bryan

Congratulations Owl! Sounds like you had a fun hunt and shot a great ram but c'mon, where are the pics?

What did you do the rest of your hunt?

Unless there's another Bryan from Enumclaw, Wa he must be. Congrats again on the sheep. Here's the pic I stole from the AKoutdoor site.

FalconsRam.jpg

Yeah, TB, I can be pretty dense sometimes. Type faster than I think. ;) Great ram, Owl!

FalconsRam.jpg

Nice work Owl! That's a great ram.

You must supply more details. When you have time give us a detailed journal of the hunt, including travel. Inquiring minds want to know.

Hunt Story

Guys,

Thanks for the kudos!

Kelly,

This is how the hunt went down. I tried to upload some pics, but it didn't go.
If someone will post them, I will e-mail them out.

I arrived in Fairbanks at 2am on the 7th, met Max the outfitter in Healy at noon. He introduced to my guide Curtis, and we proceeded to help load supplies into the cub for the flight into base camp. Max had 3 clients in the first hunt, each with a different guide and all had different camps. Curtis was taking me to a brand new area that had not been hunted before. I was hoping was going Max was going guide me, and I was a little let down at first, but that changed later as Curtis turned out to be a hell of guide, and a all around good guy. Max then flew both of us out to a remote landing strip on the River. We were surprised to see another guide with 2 clients on the strip.
We decided to make the best of it. We camped there for the night, and packed in about 6 miles up a creek bed to our base camp at the head of a beautiful valley. We saw sheep right off the bat on both sides of the drainage.
The next morning, we got up and took a peak around. There were sheep everywhere, but we wnted to stay our distance. We saw rams thru the spotting scope, and decided to stay back at a distance. The camp was awesome, and there was nobody in site! Thursday was the day before season. Max sent up a packer to be with us. He was training to become a guide, and he would be with us all the way thru the hunt. We took a good stroll thru the drainage, and saw a band of 12 rams. A few looked full curl, but nothing that got my fancy. Curtis asked me what I would be happy with.
I said I would be thrilled with a 35" x 13" ram. He said he didn't think that would be a problem, but he thought we could do better. I said great, but I said I would rather coame home with a decent ram, then no ram at all. Later in the day, I got a closer look at these rams. One ram had heavy bases with a full tight curl. I was praying I would see him the next morning.

We left camp at 6am on the opener heading slowly up the drainage. We spotted the rams in the head of the valley feeding, and our goal was to intercept them somewhere on the mountain. About 10 am, we were set up hidden out of site looking at them at over a 1000 yards. I gave my range finder to Curtis so I wasn't messing with it. Sure enough, my ram was in the bunch. We waited and waited, and they kept getting closer. Curtis asked me how far I was comforatble shooting. I said 300 yds. He said no problem, and it was up to me to decide whether to take the shot. He also said its opening day, and not to feel any pressure. He was packing his rifle, and we agreed he would back me up if needed. The rams were getting closer at 520 yds. Curtis motioned me to get right next to him. I did so, and took a last look at my ram thru his spotter. He finally ranged them at 420 yds. The wind was blowing slightly, and the rams were still feeding at almost 11 am. I decided to get setup for the shot. I layed me 270 over my fleece jacket, and started getting ready for a possible shot. I then asked Curtis about the range. 420. He then said it looked like they would be leaving the area, and going out of site. I then decided if I got a clear braodside shot, I would take it. We discussed which ram I was shooting several times, and then I started putting the crosshairs on Mr. Ram. He finally stopped feeding, lifted his head up, and paused. I said a quick prayer, and aimed at the top of the shoulder, and put the hammer down. Curtis said I nailed him. He was shot right thru thr heart, and was dead on his feet. He took a tumble about 50 yards down the shoot, and was dead when I arrived. I was so excited, I about had a heart attack.
I got teary eyed, and hugged both of my guides and thanked them for this experience. We took a ton of pictures, caped and qaurtered out the ram.
We were back at camp at 6pm eating sheep ribs roasted on an open fire.
We stayed in camp for another 2 days. We were thinking Max could pick us up on the upper remote strip, but it was too windy. On the 3 rd day, we woke up to rain, and packed up and headed back down to the river. Max flew by and saw us. His plane was on the gravel bar when we got back to the strip on the river. The plan was to fly the 2 guided out to another remote camp and have then help setup for the next sheep hunters coming in on the 17th. I thanked Curtis and Ryan, and gave them a good tip. Off they flew.
Max returned to fly me into Healy. I jumped in with my gear, and off we went.
We were in the air only a couple of minutes, when wind gusts beGan slamming the plane all over the place. Without saying a word, he banked the plane left, and landing at the camp with Curtis and Ryan. He said it was too windy to make it to Healy, so we would wait it out for awhile. To make a long story short, we ended up spending 2 nights there because of high winds.
On Wed, he flew me back to Healy, where I took the shuttle back to Fairbanks. A freind put me up in Fairbanks, and took me to f/g to seal my ram. It turned out all 3 of Max's clients got their rams on the first season.

I fely lucky and blessed to be able to do this hunt when I am still young enough. 44. My wife and 2 lovely daughters had to endure my sheep fever for the last 2 years, and for that, I am gratefull.:)

Thanks for the story Owl. Sounds like you had a great time. I didn't think .270s killed anything any more, glad to hear it worked for you. ;)

You can upload your photos to the Trophy Room (link at the top of the page) and then post them in the thread, or email them to me and I'll do it.

Congrats on a great hunt and a great ram.

Getting the chance to hunt sheep is a pretty amazing experience.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back