Cutthroat in Colorado

Bowhuntrben

Now that I've gotten addicted to flyfishing, I plan on taking a trip to Colorado next summer to try and catch some Cutthroat Trout (since we don't have them here in Minnesota). Does anybody have any recommendations on good places to fish? I want to do a hike in trip and camp.
Also, what is considered a good sized fish that is reasonably possible to catch? For example, where I fish for browns, 15" to 17" is a nice fish and relatively easy to catch, whereas 20" is big and possible to catch, but not likely. I am kind of thinking that if I can get something 15" or better that I would get a replica made (even though this may not be big) since it is not a fish that I would be able to catch very often.
I understand if you don't want to give away your honey-holes, but any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Brushy Creek which runs into Sylvan Lake just south of Eagle had for many years enjoyed the reputation for great cutthroat fishing, but it's name is no accident, as it's nearly impossible to fish without wading, what with very little clear bank access. I understand there has been quite a bit of development in that region in recent years, so the status and viability of the creek is anybody's guess. Maybe some of the Hunt Talkers who live closer might have some insight.

One of the guys on here pulled a lunker out of somewhere in CO. Can't remember who it was but hopefully ur thread will catch his attention. Good luck! Sounds a fun time!

Don't want to take anything away from Colorado cutthroats(I don't know squat about fishing there),but Montana is a whole lot closer I'm guessing.Check out MTMILLERs recent post about the Beartooths.Only drawback is we have grizzlies.

I will admit that I am a wimp when it comes to grizzlies! :) haha
I know that not many people get attacked, but I sure would hate to be one of the ones that does!
I suppose part of my fear is not having grown up in grizzly country and not being accustomed to what I have to do to avoid them.

Howdy bowhuntrben --- shoot me a pm, and can point you in the right direction up here in Northern Colorado, or could take you to a honey hole when you come next year before you hike in? What is considered good size? 15-17" is a whopper in high elevations.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back