Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Custom Boot System

MThuntr

My last work backpacking trip gave me some serious hotspots from my boots not quite fitting right. I actually threw the boots in the dumpster when we got back to town. http://www.lathropandsons.com/custom-boot-systems.html It may be too late for the 2014 season but I'm kicking the idea of dropping some $ on a 3D foot mapping and custom boot system from Lathrop & Sons. It sounds like you get the $150 credited back to you when you purchase a custom boot package.

Anyone every done this? Was it worth it?

How many different boots have you tried?

That seems like a lot of expense to go through but if that is what it takes to be able to walk in the woods without hot spots so be it.

I've not had that service done by Lathrop. The one dealing I had with them was excellent! I bought a pair of boots and footbeds from them due to some blister issues that were on par with what they had a pic of. They assured me that if the boot didn't fit out of the box, that they were confident in making them work. I was hoping to try a pair of their Cevedale boots, but finances didn't allow for this year, but I will be getting another pair of their foot beds.

I would at least give them a call. If you decide to go this route, please post updates.

How many different boots have you tried?

That seems like a lot of expense to go through but if that is what it takes to be able to walk in the woods without hot spots so be it.

How do you figure a $150 expense that is creditable against future purchase is more expensive that testing several boots that are likely to run $250-$450/pair?

How do you figure a $150 expense that is creditable against future purchase is more expensive that testing several boots that are likely to run $250-$450/pair?

Where did you come up with that? I never said any of that.

What I did say was spending $150 is a lot of expense to go through just to get a pair of boots to fit and I asked him how many different boots he had tried because sometimes certain boots simply fit some peoples feet better than others. Simple enough?

I haven't tried too many since most stores only carry 1 model or not in my size...I've tried on Kenetrek Mountain insulated and Meindl Perfekts in stores but only as a curiosity. I've always owned Danner boots and never realized they don't offer enough support until I put them to task. I'd love to find a store with a pile of boots but sadly in MT most stores only carry 1 brand or 1 model in limited supply.

You definitely have a point...boots that fit one guy don't fit another. I found Kenetreks to not fit right but it is obvious there are a bunch of guys that like the fit. I think the Meindls would have fit ok and now that they have several different models at Cabelas I still might end up with a pair.

I figured by trying boots you would need to purchase them, sorry.

No worries. I think that is one of the big problems with boots that don't have brick and mortar distribution in many parts of the country. Much better to be able to go down to the local cabelas/bass pro/scheels/etc and try on several different brands to see what fits best before dropping $200-$500 on boots and an additional $150 for foot mapping.

I haven't tried too many since most stores only carry 1 model or not in my size...I've tried on Kenetrek Mountain insulated and Meindl Perfekts in stores but only as a curiosity. I've always owned Danner boots and never realized they don't offer enough support until I put them to task. I'd love to find a store with a pile of boots but sadly in MT most stores only carry 1 brand or 1 model in limited supply.

You definitely have a point...boots that fit one guy don't fit another. I found Kenetreks to not fit right but it is obvious there are a bunch of guys that like the fit. I think the Meindls would have fit ok and now that they have several different models at Cabelas I still might end up with a pair.

That is exactly what I did with my Kenetreks. I spent 2 years of different insole and sock combinations and even tried some different lacing patterns and never could make them work. so now I have invested $500+ in a pair of boots I can't use for hunting. Big waste of money.

I tried the Mendl Alaska Hikers and they are a huge improvement for my feet.

Everybody is different and when you find a brand that fits your feet you will know it.

That is exactly what I did with my Kenetreks. I spent 2 years of different insole and sock combinations and even tried some different lacing patterns and never could make them work. so now I have invested $500+ in a pair of boots I can't use for hunting. Big waste of money.

Sounds like you should have tried the custom boot system. ;)

Sounds like you should have tried the custom boot system. ;)

Yep. I need to have my $400 kenetrek boots, $50 in socks and their new hunting boot insoles for $250. That way I can tied up about $700+ for a pair of boots. On second thought no thanks. That is just too much money to spend on boots IMO.

http://www.kenetrek.com/CUSTOM-HUNTING-BOOT-ORTHOTICS/productinfo/DO-3911/

There are plenty of boots (Rocky, Justin, and Mendl) that will fit my feet just fine without mapping my foot for $150 or buying Kenetrrek insoles for $250.

I do like the kenetrek over the calf socks.

Last edited:
Get the 3D done so we all know how it works. Wear the boots for work and take the pittance of a tax right off. We'll all be winners!

Back