Custer State Park SD Bison Hunt

Does anyone who has done the non trophy bison hunt remember approximately how much meat they got after processing?
In 2017 I was there a few days before Robie and I ended up with around 370lbs of meat.
I had a bit of heartburn over the price, but once it was all said and done I really enjoyed the experience. My wife and I spent the week in Custer and the surrounding area. We basically had Custer State Park to ourselves as it was off season. We went to Mt. Rushmore and there was only one other person there no crowds. You could cruise through the badlands with 0 traffic.

It was a great vacation in South Dakota with some tasty Buffalo meat as a bonus. At first I said I wouldn't do it again, but at $10 a year to buy a point I will keep building points and probably go again for a non-trophy.

Alright you won't accept my response, so here's the facts:

May 2017 GFP meeting Mins:
View attachment 117540

Let's look at average price nationwide:

Montana resident bison hunt cost (Obviously not looking to Montana for the basis of this statement):
View attachment 117541

Wyoming (getting closer, but only with respect to non resident):

View attachment 117542

Now lets look at some farm raised/high fence areas:

View attachment 117543

View attachment 117544

View attachment 117545

Now I could go on and on, but I won't because I think I illustrated both the GFP reasoning and the local market for private hunting.

But to put a ribbon on top of the present, here is the bill of sale from the 2017 round up:

View attachment 117546

I think you will quickly notice that they are not matching the price of tags on the auction price of the bison at round up. They are charging far more than that.

I'm sure I came off sassy, but you wouldn't believe me and this is a bitter topic for me personally.

Fantastic post. Very informative.

A few years ago I posted that I was out of this draw after the price hike. Well, I guess I lied as I drew a non trophy tag today. I know its not much of a hunt but I do get really excited thinking about filling my freezer with some bison meat this fall!

A few years ago I posted that I was out of this draw after the price hike. Well, I guess I lied as I drew a non trophy tag today. I know its not much of a hunt but I do get really excited thinking about filling my freezer with some bison meat this fall!
Ha! That's still exciting man.

I hate the price, but I'd lie if I told you I wasn't saving for the trophy hunt eventually.

Are you saving the hide?

Dang you have a gift for drawing great tags. Congratulations!

Last edited:
Do I miss the points buying time? I think I have 4 I got on today to buy a point and seen that the draw was closed. Hopefully I don’t lose the points I have

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back