Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Custer Gallatin help

Sorry Justin. I remembered our blood oath right after I hit send. After all it's just the internet. Nobody reads this stuff anyway... :)

Oh man. You ought to change your plans and head to the SW part of MT. I'd suggest the upper Ruby River drainage - especially the part between Vigilante Station and the Cottonwood Creek campground. You can stray north or south of those public land areas, but there's such beautiful camping along that particular stretch of the Ruby - the Gravellies to your east and the snowcrest to your west. Keep in mind the Snowcrest side is permit only for muley bucks to keep those giant deer well managed. Gravellies has likely the highest densities of elk in MT. I drove by there just Sunday and was completely flabbergasted. Truly the last best place. :D

So let me get this straight......I need to post a resume of what I've accomplished, some self-gratifying pics and then, and only then should I expect some help. Well shit, must have glazed over that part when I was registering for the forum. Listen fellas, I get it....you have to razz the new guy but don't take me for a newbie. I've spent plenty of time hunting western states with success and failure but just never had the time to hunt SE MT. Some of you resident guys get so pissy when non-re ask for a few tips which cracks me up. Non-res do more for your conservation efforts than you give credit for.

So let me get this straight......I need to post a resume of what I've accomplished, some self-gratifying pics and then, and only then should I expect some help. Well shit, must have glazed over that part when I was registering for the forum. Listen fellas, I get it....you have to razz the new guy but don't take me for a newbie. I've spent plenty of time hunting western states with success and failure but just never had the time to hunt SE MT. Some of you resident guys get so pissy when non-re ask for a few tips which cracks me up. Non-res do more for your conservation efforts than you give credit for.

You'll still get razzed asking about SE MT. It's something of a sore spot amongst most residents. If you're a competent hunter I'm sure you'll do fine.

It’s not rocket science. Find public land, walk your tail off and glass. Got any good elk spots you would care to share to all of us?

So let me get this straight......I need to post a resume of what I've accomplished, some self-gratifying pics and then, and only then should I expect some help. Non-res do more for your conservation efforts than you give credit for.

That would have been even more homo-erotic than your initial plea for help to save time driving. Have fun with the dinkfest. Don't forget to pat yourself on the back for all that you do. And check out the Ruby someday, you'd certainly love that.

Last edited:
Absolutely, up by Zortman, MT there are great elk numbers. Have had excellent luck there. Also, SE Idaho west of Afton, WY in unit 76. Always in elk there.

I forgot to mention to look under the pines. They like those but sometimes they don't. I would still look though.

Greenhorn.....I've seen some of your other posts. You sure seem quick to malign anyone that might just be looking for a tip or two while trolling these pages just looking for the opportunity to drop the next "zinger". Spend less time here being a pisser and get out and hunt.

Oh man. You ought to change your plans and head to the SW part of MT. I'd suggest the upper Ruby River drainage - especially the part between Vigilante Station and the Cottonwood Creek campground. You can stray north or south of those public land areas, but there's such beautiful camping along that particular stretch of the Ruby - the Gravellies to your east and the snowcrest to your west. Keep in mind the Snowcrest side is permit only for muley bucks to keep those giant deer well managed. Gravellies has likely the highest densities of elk in MT. I drove by there just Sunday and was completely flabbergasted. Truly the last best place. :D

I knew I had found this special spot as well. When I passed a camp by vigilante station that had a Budweiser banner from the town pump blaze orange that said “welcome hunters”. Got a good laugh but man it’s busy. Told the kids I was going to set them up selling hot chocolate and scones I think we could make retirement money pretty easily over there.

I knew I had found this special spot as well. When I passed a camp by vigilante station that had a Budweiser banner from the town pump blaze orange that said “welcome hunters”. Got a good laugh but man it’s busy. Told the kids I was going to set them up selling hot chocolate and scones I think we could make retirement money pretty easily over there.

Setup a mobile IV station for all the hungover hunters to come get right.

Lots of camping spots along bloom creek road. You could hunt the edge of the Gay ranch. You should blend right in depending on the camo pattern you're runnin.

2 things....

1. Don't take on long standing members of the forum, you wont win...although it is comical.

2. Look at the HMA's in the area and call the HMA coordinators prior to your trip. Some of them live out there for the season and are very knowledgeable with what is currently happening on their sections.

You are missing the point. This isn't about you being a NR or "razzing" the new guy. Your very first post on this board is about where you can find a mule deer in SE MT. Nothing about yourself, other than your unknown experience hunting western states. Thanks for all you do supporting Montana conservation efforts. You could share a bit about yourself, but I think your 5 posts have told us enough. Good luck and glad you found time to fit a Custer deer hunt in your schedule.

Funny how a lot of the guys making comments actually contributed to blowing Custer forest up. It wasn’t too long ago they were sharing information freely. They are just as guilty as Newberg of blowing the area up. No going back now internet age of hunting at its best.

Funny how a lot of the guys making comments actually contributed to blowing Custer forest up. It wasn’t too long ago they were sharing information freely. They are just as guilty as Newberg of blowing the area up. No going back now internet age of hunting at its best.

Sorry but I’m calling BS on this. The Custer’s spiral started in the mid to late 90s after a guy from Bozeman (not Greenhorn) shot a great buck and put it into Eastmans, complete with photos of a prominent landmark and descriptions Ray Charles could follow.

The ensuing pressure and lack of adaptive management by FWP has far more to do with the deer hunting quality there than this forum, in my humble opinion. The fires of the mid 2000s should have made great habitat. Unfortunately, it took away a great deal of escapement cover for the mature bucks to use when they are being hunted through Thanksgiving.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greenhorn.....I've seen some of your other posts. You sure seem quick to malign anyone that might just be looking for a tip or two while trolling these pages just looking for the opportunity to drop the next "zinger". Spend less time here being a pisser and get out and hunt.

Looks like the gloves are off now........ding ding ding. Greenhorn does have some of the best "zingers" you have to admit. Just go and walk and walk and walk and walk some more. Glass a little too. Then walk again back to your Subaru Baja and go to the next spot. Repeat, sooner or later, probably later you'll turn something up. Might even find a shed. I can go ask one of the 35 guys I met this weekend and see if they "seen" anything for you? Next year if I was you I'd plan to come back and go elk hunt the Bridgers not the Ruby.

Make sure when you see greenhorn in there you shake his hand for all of his valuable advice he's given on this topic. Over the years. Guy should probably write a book. Maybe he'll make you a pumpkin spice latte.

Back