Crossbow elk ?

Rooster52

Anyone ever take an elk with a crossbow ? I have a crossbow I bought a couple years ago and have only shot targets so far,but I would think it would be a great weapon for cow elk hunt where legal.

Your thread reminded me of the last big Crossbow debate/debacle. See below.

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=253608&highlight=crossbow

Apparently they call them something else in Montana. The whole thread is hilarious and sad. Pretty much shows how divided hunters are on topics such as this, bear baiting, using dogs on bear, lighted knocks, etc... Some of the comments are just jaw dropping to say the least, especially the homophobic comments and personal attacks.

Good luck hunting elk with your crossbow.

The famous cossbow thread still makes me laugh....very entertaining.

Even after everything said, lighted knocks rock:D

My dad and I are looking at coming out to Wyoming in a few years to bowhunt and he will probably use a crossbow. He has carpal tunnel syndrome and hasn't been able to shoot a compound for several years. After about 6-8 shots, he loses strength and can't hold it back. He used to make his own arrows and shoot recurve, and compound and was a crack shot. Robinhooded more than a few arrows and could hit a quarter at 40 yards. It sucks to see him not be able to do that anymore but he has hunted the last several years with crossbow and killed several very large bucks. I guess I kinda get turned off by hardcore archery guys some because if we all were "hardcore" we'd be doing it with longbow we made by hand, and flint arrowheads. And we'd be wearing buckskin clothing too!

Last edited:
It really does not matter to me if Colorado ever make crossbows legal during archery as if I want to hunt with crossbow ,I will do Wyoming or some other state that it is legal

Last edited:
The famous cossbow thread still makes me laugh....very entertaining.

Even after everything said, lighted knocks rock:D

Me too! When I first read this post I thought uh oh here we go. . .but it didnt take off.
Hunt where you want with what you want ( if its legal)

I tried for three years to shoot with a compound and just couldn't get it done. Before a work accident I used a self made hickory bow and used arrows I made out of a certain wild rose stem with bird feather arrows and single blade double edged tips I made out of light spring steel from a buggy. I never got so far as to have the leathers to go with it, and flint arrow tips were usually non straight flyers no matter how good a job I did on making them.
As for crossbow for Elk, I have talked to many people up here and online and they are working just fine. I plan on trying this fall, I have took it out a couple of times to small game hunt and am amazed how accurate and easy to move in the field it is. My only problem is finding the bolts when I miss in the sage bush and snow. I am next getting some Lumenocks for it, I also found a Youtube on making them for arrows and cross bow bolts for about $4.00 a piece.

Meaning?

If u think any of that new crowd will ever endorse crossbows u might be partaking in Colorado's latest "industry".

Shoot, on bowsite some guys are even advocating a traditional only week out of the existing archery season.

That new "industry" really has raised the bon...I mean bar.
smokin3.gif

I wouldn't mind a traditional season... I've had the thought of like a primitive arms season in like December after all of the rifle seasons for trad bows and cap or flintlock muzzleloaders

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back