Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Crossbow because elbow injury

Exactly, and we go the exact opposite way every day. Because we need more ways to "fill the freezer" and "more opportunity to get out in the woods." The opportunity is more than abundant. Give me a phuggin break.
Agreed.

We will find points to argue about specific gear, but in the end, if tech leads to increased success and increased participation, the deer population will suffer. We are already seeing it in Indiana. We just don’t entirely agree on who/what’s to blame.

To the OP, sorry for derailing your thread with another argument. Good for you for getting out and doing what works. Hope you hunt forever!

If we want wildlife to thrive and hunting to continue technology needs to be limited acrossed the board. Bows and rifles.
What about clothing, advancements in materials allow you to survive in weather you never could of in buck skins. Should you only be allowed within a days horse ride of your home? Is a 90% letoff compound still a bow, smokeless powders in muzzleloaders shooting leadfree bullets still primitive? I could do this for hours, technology is everywhere just not where you want to enforce. To restrict anything is a bias towards another, i agree in principle we need to restrict but how? I love the trad hunters who act like they are only one doing it right, then they drive there hybrid 1500miles to a elk hunt with a takedown wooden bow layered in latest chemicals, some shooting carbon arrows with tool grade broadheads. Of coarse they are dressed in head to toe in sitka/kuiu to impress when they post on the gram. Its all BS, change is inevitable and at some point we are all yelling at clouds.

What about clothing, advancements in materials allow you to survive in weather you never could of in buck skins. Should you only be allowed within a days horse ride of your home? Is a 90% letoff compound still a bow, smokeless powders in muzzleloaders shooting leadfree bullets still primitive? I could do this for hours, technology is everywhere just not where you want to enforce. To restrict anything is a bias towards another, i agree in principle we need to restrict but how? I love the trad hunters who act like they are only one doing it right, then they drive there hybrid 1500miles to a elk hunt with a takedown wooden bow layered in latest chemicals, some shooting carbon arrows with tool grade broadheads. Of coarse they are dressed in head to toe in sitka/kuiu to impress when they post on the gram. Its all BS, change is inevitable and at some point we are all yelling at clouds.
Disagree. We should encourage our game agencies to incorporate common sense technology prohibitions where they make sense. You ask where to draw the line? Where common sense, statistics, research, data, and customer comments and desire(res and nonres hunters) collide. If we don’t, the slippery slope leads us to decreased opportunity which is the wrong path for sustaining hunting in the North American model. All the items you mention definitely increase success but think about technology and ask yourself what items really make that much of a difference and what common sense restrictions can be implemented to keep success static or decreasing. Claiming some of the trivial stuff you mentioned is similar in the rate of success to weapon restrictions is laughable to me. Weapon restrictions definitely can work. Statistics say that. Crossguns in archery blur those restriction lines

The difference is someone whos never tried archery can shoot 100 yards with a crossbow the first day they buy it - not to mention holding it forever.

What about clothing, advancements in materials allow you to survive in weather you never could have in buck skins. Should you only be allowed within a days horse ride of your home? Is a 90% letoff compound still a bow, smokeless powders in muzzleloaders shooting leadfree bullets still primitive? I could do this for hours, technology is everywhere just not where you want to enforce. To restrict anything is a bias towards another, i agree in principle we need to restrict but how? I love the trad hunters who act like they are only one doing it right, then they drive there hybrid 1500miles to a elk hunt with a takedown wooden bow layered in latest chemicals, some shooting carbon arrows with tool grade broadheads. Of coarse they are dressed in head to toe in sitka/kuiu to impress when they post on the gram. Its all BS, change is inevitable and at some point we are all yelling at clouds.
I will continue to yell at the clouds. Comparisons to states that limit tags (Wyoming) doesn’t really matter. There is several ways to do it, limit opportunity or limit technology. We will all be headed towards Utah management if we choose to limit opportunity over technology.

OK, only wool clothing (for me, German Army pants, Pendelton shirts, wool sweaters), sometimes Army surplus NYCO pants for warm weather, wood-stocked rifles, Randall knives, canvas tents, horses. Good to go. We did it for 20 years.

We survived just fine, packed in a lot of tomato juice and beer so we didn't suffer Vitamin deficiencies.

Heck, I shot a 3x3 muley, but the tines were reversed very symmetrically so we could eat heart and liver and some tenders once. Cool rack.

Seems like there are two hunting America's.
One has too many deer, not enough access and not enough hunters.
One has not enough ungulates for demand, lots of hunters, and pretty good access.
One of those places seems great for anyone to shoot a crossbow, one seems like there is already enough pressure.

Back