Crossbow because elbow injury

T.R.

Back in 2003, I fractured the bone in my elbow, and it never healed right. The days of shooting my bow were over. But crossbows suddenly became popular, and I bought a second hand Ten Point for a fair price. Amazing accuracy at 35 yards!
TR

cb 1.JPGcb 6.jpgcb 7.JPG

Nice been thinking about going crossbow route. My back injury isn't really liking me shooting my compound much. I heard ten point makes solid crossbows.

Most vertical archers do no take issues with crossbow users who do it because of physical needs. Its the others that make us roll our eyes. You used to have to practice archery to get proficient at it. Now days you can take most people with average physical abilities and take them to a pro shop, set them up properly and they will be shooting bullseyes on the first day. So much so that now archery harvest have gone from negligent to irritating the rifle shooters because of the harvest levels. Limited draw archery tags are getting hard to come by now also. There will be a reckoning some day on some of these issues.

Congrats TR and I’m proud of you for coming out publicly. We (most of us) accept you!

I’ve had a lifetime of neck and shoulder issues. So bad that I would schedule reoccurring chiropractor, massages, acupuncture, and cupping appointments during bow tune-up time. Finally after a lung surgery that required splitting some ribs and a move to the city where 1-2k arrows a year was no longer possible, I joined the dark side and got a horizontal deer exterminating death razor laser.

I was hesitant to share for awhile but decided a couldn’t give a royal chit what a bunch of dudes with magnum cartridges, CDS dials, laser rangefinders, 20x scopes, scoped muzzleloaders shooting lathe turned bullets over max loads of Blackhorn 209….think about my too advanced, too modern, too deadly crossbow.

Congrats on finding a way to get back out!

Congrats TR and I’m proud of you for coming out publicly. We (most of us) accept you!

I’ve had a lifetime of neck and shoulder issues. So bad that I would schedule reoccurring chiropractor, massages, acupuncture, and cupping appointments during bow tune-up time. Finally after a lung surgery that required splitting some ribs and a move to the city where 1-2k arrows a year was no longer possible, I joined the dark side and got a horizontal deer exterminating death razor laser.

I was hesitant to share for awhile but decided a couldn’t give a royal chit what a bunch of dudes with magnum cartridges, CDS dials, laser rangefinders, 20x scopes, scoped muzzleloaders shooting lathe turned bullets over max loads of Blackhorn 209….think about my too advanced, too modern, too deadly crossbow.

Congrats on finding a way to get back out!
#*^@#* it ill bite.I don't think anyone is gonna judge someone for using a crossbow when they physically can't bowhunt. However we have always had an exemption in illinois where you could crossbow hunt with a Doctors rx for it. Not too many ever did. Once they became legal everybody and they're brother bought one and uses the old oh my shoulders been bothering me yada yada. You hardly ever saw a crossbow hunter before that when all you had to do was make a Dr visit. I'm not directing or accusing you or anyone in this thread of that just making an observation.

No judgement, but when I had balance issues, just gave away my beautiful recurves and longbows. I thought this was a better way to honor the sport of primitive archery. And I did it all the way from 6 yo (shot at my first rabbit with Christmas bow) to Zen and the Art of Archery. You do you though.

Reality: Compound bow is reaching out and punching tags that make crossbows a simple horizontal version. In the same fashion recurve stepped into compound.

Rifles with digital range finder scopes and CDS knobs to place an X on the mark, far beyond my personal ethical range is the new norm.

Product sales and promotion, including Fresh Tracks Leupold scopes, have reached out and punched tags FAR beyond the Tasco/Bushnell/iron sights of the past.
It's merchandising / company ROI - shareholder satisfaction.

Doesn't matter the state, a tag punched for sake of moderating ungulate population is the core intent.

We should be focused more on:

Season structure and better counts / tag allocation.

Last edited:
Reality: Compound bow is reaching out and punching tags that make crossbows a simple horizontal version. In the same fashion recurve stepped into compound.

Rifles with digital range finder scopes and CDS knobs to place an X on the mark, far beyond my personal ethical range is the new norm.

Product sales and promotion, including Fresh Tracks Leupold scopes, have reached out and punched tags FAR beyond the Tasco/Bushnell/iron sights of the past.

Doesn't matter the state, a tag punched for sake of moderating ungulate population is the core intent.

Exactly. Crossbows are the current scapegoat of all non crossbow shooters. Reality is that in my state of Indiana, crossbow hunters kill 15% of the total deer harvest over the course of a 100 day season.

Gun hunters kill about 60% of the deer harvest in just 16 days!!!!

Meaning, gun hunters can do in just under four days what it takes crossbow hunters 100 days to do!!!!

Indiana used to be a shotgun and muzzleloader only gun state. Few years back we were allowed straight walled cartridges. Then a few years later all rifles were allowed on public land.

Real strange how all the purists didn’t show up in droves to make fun of the lazy, overly proficient, too lethal, killin’ way too many deer……centerfire rifle hunters????

Exactly. Crossbows are the current scapegoat of all non crossbow shooters. Reality is that in my state of Indiana, crossbow hunters kill 15% of the total deer harvest over the course of a 100 day season.

Gun hunters kill about 60% of the deer harvest in just 16 days!!!!

Meaning, gun hunters can do in just under four days what it takes crossbow hunters 100 days to do!!!!

Indiana used to be a shotgun and muzzleloader only gun state. Few years back we were allowed straight walled cartridges. Then a few years later all rifles were allowed on public land.

Real strange how all the purists didn’t show up in droves to make fun of the lazy, overly proficient, too lethal, killin’ way too many deer……centerfire rifle hunters????

The Indiana firearms hunting seasons total (32) days, not (4).

We have the same deal here now. While not in favor of making anything easier or the straight wall cartridge deal. The straight walls really aren't much different than modern slug guns. Go back twenty or thirty years and they were quite a bit different most modern slug guns are accurate out to 200. I'm not hating on crossbow hunters I'm hating on the fact that they get the same season length and tag allocation as somewith a vertical bow and for the record as a compound hunter I'd love nothing more than to see all of it go back to slug guns and recurves I'd make that jump in an instant. Or change the season structure accordingly if everyone is gonna use a tool that makes it easier.

Last edited:
I like the way SC low country does it. You can use anything you want all season long. Too many people wasting game because they were funneled into using a method of take they have no talent for. Awful lotya animals wasted by broadhead when a rifle would have done it cleanly.

Congrats! No issues with a crossbow user when they've had an injury(i almost became one after an injury) . Some nice tastey looking deer in them photos too. Congrats again

I find it funny as well, how archers bad mouth crossbows. Where I live it's only legal to use a crossbow for archery if you have you dr fill out a mobility impairment form. I know a few people who do use crossbows for archery. They are legal for muzzleloader and our rifle, which is any legal sporting arm season. For me I don't care what you use whatever gets you outdoors and puts meat in your freezer do it. People bad mouth crossbow, yet modern rifles are so advances it's crazy. Muzzleloader can now shoot up to 1000 yards. Just crazy the things people choose to target and try to diminish.

Your post ignores the fact that increased success equals reduced opportunity. Reduced opportunity is the death knell for hunting in the long term. So technology increases are not good for hunting in the long term. That’s why we as hunters should be supporting regulations and weapon restrictions that reduce success and increase opportunities. Think of the lost opportunity west wide with 100% success rates across the board. A Punched tag for moderating ungulate population goal ignores the reality of hunters being a huge minority at the voting booth.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back