Creeping Shorthair

QuikSpin

Fellas,

I've been lazy last summer and didn't put in the time with my shorthair like I should. He points well, but when I walk in to flush the bird he has gotten into the habit of creeping in with me. He will hold steady as long as I am behind him, but as soon as I walk in front he starts to creep.

I've worked on "WHOA", and that is probably all I need to do is reinforce, but if anyone out there has any suggestions I am open.

QS

Rather than walk past him, come in from the side or even in front of him if you can. Is he trained with the hand signal for whoa? (The hand up in front of you like "stop" or "talk to the hand.") Otherwise, keep repeating "whoa" as you come in from in front or from the side.

Come in from the side like Rick said. If he still creeps, some work is required.

I'd spend a 15 min per day for a week with live birds and him on a check cord anchored to a post or a helper.

He'll lock up and creep until he hits the end of the rope. Give the whoa command when he's at the end of the rope. Walk around, over, behind and to the side. Get the dog used to you moving around while he holds. Follow this up with field experience. Repeat.

My dogs creep when the bird isn't quite locked down yet.

Back