Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Crazy elk hunt

Pat,

Do you think you could have pulled that hunt off using a standard tire mountain bike vs a Fat Tire bike?

No. Many areas I hunted or wanted to hunt was to loose and sandy. There's very few areas I've hunted that a bike is useful. Once I got to where my buddy's bike was I transferred everything into his bike with saddlebags and that was way better than the pile of junk that I was using. Getting the first hundred pound load of meat that far to transfer it to his bike was horrible and with that pile of junk seat I'm lucky I will ever be able to piss again. Without that bike I probably would have lost the second load of meat for sure. I was very worried about the second load but it seems to be okay. After I shot the bull it was still fairly cool in the morning and I knew it was going to be hot and I was going a million miles an hour breaking that bull down but the downside is that I cut my hand so bad with the havalon knife that it should have required stitches but I used superglue instead . A little glue to close the wound and then a large patch of superglue over the top of it and sprinkle a little baking soda on top which will instantly cure the superglue into a hard patch. Sadly because I knew it was going to get so hot I only took two photos of this bull before I started cutting it up20180910_113142.jpg

Last edited:
Great stuff, Pat. You're the McGyver of elk hunting, if I ever met such. Congrats.

Great story and pics! I'm a mountain biker and have always thought of trying but haven't done it yet.

It works, but it needs to be pretty flat though. Pedaling an extra 90 pounds or so sucks on hills. A nicer bike would be nice too... I got it done, but barely. Im not a youngster anymore

My mountain biking buddy came up from lower Michigan yesterday to race in the "Marji Gesick" in Marquette today. I showed him your pics which got him thinking. Maybe he'll actually hunt again!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back