Cow Calling Your Way Right To The Bull!

ElkNut1

This is a very aggressive move by the hunter & works awesome as a lone hunter as well. There are times when we have bulls hold tight to their position especially when in or around their bedding areas, this especially applies to Herd Bull encounters! If in an encounter with a semi to very vocal bull whether via cow calling or bugling on your part & he hangs tight & you can tell he's holding tight to his spot you may want to consider this aggressive approach especially in heavily brushed or timber country where the bull cannot see your approach, of course having the wind in your favor is a necessity too. Don't wait too long & hang up yourself when you can tell your calling isn't bringing the bull your way, if too much time lapses in thick country he will know somethings wrong & possibly get the heck out of dodge! (grin) When in this situation go right at the bull cow calling excitedly once in the 100 yard range. Again, even if you were getting him riled with bugling on your part & he's not coming then switch gears & go to cow calling adjusting your volume & whines as you go right at him quickly. This change can really anchor the bull as he awaits this unseen cow coming right to him! Stop all calling & nock an arrow at around the 40 yard mark & continue to go right at him picking the right course with cover so you can slip in the rest of the needed distance to take him.

ElkNut1

Thx for the tip. I have watched some of your videos and have learned a lot! The hard part for un-seasoned veterans who only get to hunt elk for one week per year is to remember all of our options and think about what to try in each moment. It's easy now to sit back and think of what could have put each bull we saw on the ground last year. Experience and missed opportunities can be the best teachers I guess.

Ha Ha, you got that right sir, we all can look back at the "what if's" (grin)

The "running at the bull" is for selective times especially in thick undergrowth terrain where we can be 30 yards from elk & still see nothing but can hear him calling to us. Many times herd bulls will hold tight, at those times a sweet whine accepting his invite & going right at him will anchor him there as he is expecting a cow to show up. We have put down some very nice bulls with this technique. The best one being 360" on OTC hunts. Good luck & when in doubt, be aggressive! (grin)

ElkNut1

Ha Ha, you got that right sir, we all can look back at the "what if's" (grin)

The "running at the bull" is for selective times especially in thick undergrowth terrain where we can be 30 yards from elk & still see nothing but can hear him calling to us. Many times herd bulls will hold tight, at those times a sweet whine accepting his invite & going right at him will anchor him there as he is expecting a cow to show up. We have put down some very nice bulls with this technique. The best one being 360" on OTC hunts. Good luck & when in doubt, be aggressive! (grin)

ElkNut1

Thanks Paul. Great to know. This is one technique I have never tried. I will use it in Arizona this year if the situation arises. Any new DVD's this Year?
Thank You again,
John

Yes, we have the New Advertising/Breeding Sequence DVD & the ElkNut 5. Both are new. These two will be responsible for putting a lot of elk on the ground. Thanks for asking!

Recon_ Doc. Yes will use a variety of elk sounds to call elk in the 1st 10 days of Sept. There are many years the elk are very quiet, No Rutting, then there are years where elk are rutting hard the 1st of Sept or there abouts. We will tailor our sounds any time in Sept/Oct to meet their needs. The Running at the Bull while cow calling is reserved for just the right bull & terrain otherwise we use other tactics, it all depends on the situation & aggressive calling back from a bull.

Our # 1 way to take the bigger bulls is after they cow up, this is when they are very vulnerable & protective, the methods at that time can vary but the running at the bull while calling is one of the tools we will use. By the way the 360" bull was taken on Sept 2nd. & he was cowed up with 9 cows & in the thick stuff just leaving their feeding area. He wouldn't respond to a bugle but lit it up with a cow call but wouldn't budge after 1 minute of coaxing so we cow called & ran right at him & shot him at aprox 10 yards. -

We knew from past experience in these hang-up situations that you have to go to them & make something happen quick while you have the cover & the wind or they can move a herd very fast & away from you. If that happens it's very tough to call him back or keep up with them. Here's the bull with the hunter, note how thick the cover is. Thanks!

ElkNut1

Attachments

• Matt Rissel.jpeg
    Matt Rissel.jpeg
    131.2 KB · Views: 427
Last edited:
Yes, we have the New Advertising/Breeding Sequence DVD & the ElkNut 5. Both are new. These two will be responsible for putting a lot of elk on the ground. Thanks for asking!

Recon_ Doc. Yes will use a variety of elk sounds to call elk in the 1st 10 days of Sept. There are many years the elk are very quiet, No Rutting, then there are years where elk are rutting hard the 1st of Sept or there abouts. We will tailor our sounds any time in Sept/Oct to meet their needs. The Running at the Bull while cow calling is reserved for just the right bull & terrain otherwise we use other tactics, it all depends on the situation & aggressive calling back from a bull.

Our # 1 way to take the bigger bulls is after they cow up, this is when they are very vulnerable & protective, the methods at that time can vary but the running at the bull while calling is one of the tools we will use. By the way the 360" bull was taken on Sept 2nd. & he was cowed up with 9 cows & in the thick stuff just leaving their feeding area. He wouldn't respond to a bugle but lit it up with a cow call but wouldn't budge after 1 minute of coaxing so we cow called & ran right at him & shot him at aprox 10 yards. -

We knew from past experience in these hang-up situations that you have to go to them & make something happen quick while you have the cover & the wind or they can move a herd very fast & away from you. If that happens it's very tough to call him back or keep up with them. Here's the bull with the hunter, note how thick the cover is. Thanks!

ElkNut1
Thanks! So if Im hunting the late rifle hunt 27 November to 03 December should I not bother with trying to call at all. I would reckon not right?

Only thing missing is the cow elk hat with ears. Very nice bull.

Ordered

ElkNut1
Thank You Paul. I ordered the combo. Now I have them all again. I just watched the first ones again last week while on the treadmill.
John

Thanks for sharing the link! I think you'll like the new info there, good stuff! We enjoy thinking outside the box especially on OTC public land hunts that most of us do hunt.

Recon, those later dates are generally migration type hunts. You are correct that glassing or picking up fresh tracks in snow are better suited for finding elk than calling them. I've been on a few late hunts & still have my calls with me. When in close I will use a cow sound on cow hunts & the nervous grunt to stop an elk in its tracks for the shot. But rarely use calling at that time for location purposes. Doesn't mean you couldn't but it's low on the list, I'd lean towards glassing from elevated positions much more so, then ambush!

ElkNut1

My archery spot in Montana would be a perfect place for this tactic.Once I get Alaska out of my blood, I'll be back there and give it a shot.I use a lot of your calling techniques.Love when I can find THAT bull that just wants to fight.Nothing more exciting then that in elk calling.Only ever found 2 like that so far,but man is that some fun and gets the adrenalin pumping

Back