Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Couple bones in the snow.....

thecrittergitter

Well, this was one of my worst horn hunt trips ever.....picked the three worst weather days of the entire spring to go and in fact, came home early. Saw 24 bulls and 20 of them still packing both sides of headgear. Couple that with a few inches of snow, and virtually no time to glass due to snow and wind, we pretty much felt it was about worthless to keep hiking.

Albeit better than being at work;);););) lol

I guess 4 brown horns is better than nothing but was hoping for a bit better.......

Next year will start getting real fun! Won't find as many horns but gonna start taking my sons with me...

Attachments

• six point.jpg
    six point.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,000
  • in trail.JPG
    in trail.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 975
  • walk up.jpg
    walk up.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 981
  • Horn pack.JPG
    Horn pack.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 982
That's better than I've done this year.. I think I've put on close to 20 miles for only one elk shed found... Most of the bulls are sticking to the neighboring private land..:mad:

Here's mine:

That's better than I've done this year.. I think I've put on close to 20 miles for only one elk shed found... Most of the bulls are sticking to the neighboring private land..:mad:
/QUOTE]

That happens ALOT! Sure wish I had some access to some private stuff around here thats for sure!

I`ve picked up 51 so far this year,,all of the bigger bulls have dropped,,just the little bulls still carrying,,of the 51 antlers ,11 were fresh brown

I'm in eastern montana on a quick turkey hunt, just saw 8 bulls.. Two of them already grown out past their two front points..

Good work Critter, finding a few is better then not finding any! At least you are keeping some leg fitness looking for that bone on the ground.

I need to get myself a couple of those to set up in my "hunting room". Its not big but its my own little space anyway. Any extras? I don't think I will find to many while stumbling through the mud over here in ND.

Was doing my thing twixt Great Falls and Missoula today and saw a herd of elk right next to the highway a few miles east of Clearwater. There were a few still wearing head gear. Mostly rag horns but they weren't new growth. Couldnt find a spot to pull big truck over and get pics, damnit!

Last edited:
Nice, I only saw four that were slicked off and they were just slicked off, no growth at all.

It's funny how different it can be depending on the area. I saw bulls still packing on 4/13 near bozeman, and the bulls I saw in eastern mt on 4/17 and 4/18 were already growing their thirds!

I also saw a 3 point muley with one side still on his head!! :confused:

Last week I saw several muleys still holing on. Also in the same group one had a significant amount of growth.

I can't seem to make sense out of the timing of animals shedding their antlers other than the biggest usually drop early.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gauravsingh
Back