Yeti GOBOX Collection

Cool Find

Tie it off with rope, cover it with pine boughs and go back in the spring unless you're overly ambitions with a pic axe. A pal of mine found one like that a few years ago and tied it off, showed up a few weeks too late, and somebody beat him to it.

If I get him out he has to go to the office till they determine cause of death.

It’s a limited entry unit and my guess is he got shot and went for water and ended up nose up in the creek. I bet I never see it again if we get him out. Kind of takes the wind out of my sails.

Easy come, easy go... I'd leave it till spring. I've tried chopping a moose antler out of ice one time, gave up at the hour mark... This looks like a full day's worth of misery to me. Looks like a hog though.

If I get him out he has to go to the office till they determine cause of death.

It’s a limited entry unit and my guess is he got shot and went for water and ended up nose up in the creek. I bet I never see it again if we get him out. Kind of takes the wind out of my sails.

I’m pretty sure that find is from when you lived in Montana.

I’d start shoveling. Nice find! Maybe the the creek bed was Dry when he died

A fire will get the job done if is not running water below. Build a fire ring where the rock circle touches to the left side of the antlers. Do same on the right. Do same by the nose. Build fires in the rings that are moderate so flames do not reach the skull or antlers and then push the coals up against the rocks next to the skull and antlers. The rocks will get hot from the radiated heat from the flames and the direct heat from the colas and start melting the ice. You could carry in a propane tank and a rosebud flame tip but that is a lot to carry in by foot. Or, a really big magnifying glass on a sunny day suspended from a Big Boy statue.

The chopping ice can work but since ice is inside the skull you might end up with a lot of skull chunks.

I got you Schaff. Muley is too busy secretly reloading 6.5 creedmoor rounds in his basement for his new Bergara to keep up with the inside joke : )

I was with my nephew when I found it. His dad(my brother in law) is the local game warden.

I know why the rule is there but at this point does it really matter what the cause of death was? If someone was up to no good they wouldn’t leave the head in a stream bed, nor would they let winter set in prior to going back and getting it.

I’m all set to do what it takes to get Encino Bull out but not if it’s going to the regional office forever!!

Joking that he could say he found that while he still lived in MT to get out of reporting the deadhead. Stubaby used to live in Billings if I remember right.

And while it wouldn't need to be reported, it would still be illegal to possess if it was shot as Stubaby surmises.

Stu, I'll throw rocks before I possess a 6.5 Needmore or a Bergara. That head is a unique find, but if you can't keep it, I probly wouldn't go through the effort to remove it. mtmuley

I don't think I could let it wait. I'd have to try and get it out. Take a spud bar, a 5 pound sledge (and eye protection), a camp chair to sit on, and go there and build fires like suggested. Wack the ice for a while, stoke the fire, and repeat same until he's out!!

You mean Utah fish and game has to determine the cause of death? Huh? How? Do they tag or otherwise indicate the legitimacy of heads they determine, like some states plug deadhead sheep horns.? Just curious.

Back