Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Did before, still storing the same amount

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Did before, storing even more now

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • Did before, not anymore

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
With components pretty much readily available again, are you going to buy and store more than you did before?
I definitely will but not in what I would call unreasonable amounts. I will probably use a two or three purchased to one needed ratio to stock up.

Before I had no reason to buy extra. But I learned from this past BS. I'll have a few pounds of powder on hand now. I'm sure this will happen again at some point.

I'd rather have it and not need it currently, than need it and not have or be able to get it. Everything within reason of course.

Been looking for Reloader 26 powder fo almost a year and still no luck. If I ever do find it I will purchase several pounds. I haven't been a horder of supplies and would only buy components when I was getting low. That is going to change after this round of BS.

Similar to Dakotakid, I have been working to reducing the varieity of powders and bullets I am using for each rifle. Hoping to then buy more of the powders that cover most of my needs.

I keep my selection to enough that I don't worry about being able to reload. I am also to a point of needing to actually shoot loaded ammo to clear room. Only so many rounds a guy can shoot at zombies. Lol.

I try to keep a years supply of what I use the most. I’m down to 4000 primers which will get me thru about the end of next year. So stocking up on primers when I see some. 10-15k would do it. I’m good on powder for a while. Whenever Berger releases bullets I use I’ll stock up there as well. Could use 500-1k 168’s and 195’s. When they release 109’s I’ll buy 2-3k , enough for a couple barrels in the 6cm. I don’t think it’s really stockpiling though as I’m gonna go shoot most of em.

I’ve worked in the retail sporting goods for about 25 years and have witnessed first hand the panic and hoarding that goes on during these unknown times. I’ve also seen many people who turn that into a side hustle and buy extra, simply to increase the price and re-sell, which only makes the problem worse for all.
I hate to see people be forced to stop their target practice and save it all for hunting because they are afraid of not being able to re-stock their supply.
Ammo lasts a very long time if stored properly, so use this time to slowly build your reserves. Buy an extra box or two every couple months, until you have what you consider a several year supply. For a fraction of what you spend on coffee, you can quickly build your supplies to where you don’t have to panic next time this happens — and it will happen again. Who knows, your children may thank you some day.
Remember the story of the turtle and the hare? Slow and steady wins the race.
If prices go down, I doubt it will be much in this current state of inflation we are in for all goods.
Two more bits of advice.
Don’t wait until ammo isn’t available to decide that you are going to get into reloading. If ammo isn’t available, neither are the components to load your own.
Also, consider getting a rifle caliber that may not be the absolute most popular, but will still get the job done. While hordes of people are looking for 30-06, 6.5 Creed, .308, etc, you may have a chance of finding .280 Rem. ammo, as an example. This doesn’t always work to your favor, but I’ve seen that scenario in the past work, plus it’s more fun to experiment with all the different calibers!

I should've learned from the great .22 shortage. I ended up with a very nice stockpile after that and have enjoyed never being worried about finding it.

I didn't do that with powder and primers and really had to scramble a couple times. Now I'm trying to build up a comfortable amount because this is the second powder recovery I've seen so theres no telling when the next shortage will come.

Would love to find CCI 209M primers somewhere. I won’t go crazy, but I will get enough- my butt still hurts from paying $90 for 100 a few years ago off of Gunbroker🥸

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back