Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Colorado unit double dos

TheSurveyor

Well I'm staring down the barrel at the tail end of my third season 22 tag. Throwing out a Lifeline if anyone could share any tips? I haven't turned up a buck since Sunday which I regret passing on the little forky now... plenty of doe along the north edge along the river(private) but not even seeing bucks there. Took me a few days to figure it out but the western part of the unit seems to be taken over by horses. Shoot I'm willing to take a good meat buck and put something in the freezer than eat the 5pp tag... anyways if someone has hunted the area and is willing to throw me a bone I'd greatly appreciate it!

Have you looked at the migration maps to see where they go? You might find a corridor they travel .
I have no clue how to find them online but have heard many talk about them.

keep looking. i saw far fewer deer on my third season hunt than i had expected and had actually seen in my unit in the past. i did shoot the first deer i saw though, little year and a half old dinker - zero point unit though.

wait for this weekend, things might start getting a tiny bit rutty.

it's just me, but I still wouldn't pass anything that's legal

I've covered the north half of the unit. Running ridges and glassing. Didn't turn up anything today. Here I thought I'd have to practice self restraint on this hunt!

Rut turned on today. I’m south of you, but I agree. You need to move , you should be seeing some bucks .

Running good glass for me. Luepold Guide 3 or something and Luepold 15-33×50 spotter. If anyone that's has hunted the unit and pm's me I'll share all the areas I've been. Maybe I'm just going about it all wrong. I will say I've never hunted a unit with so much access. Seems like every ridge and valley has a atv trail. So I've just done my darndest to get to areas that don't have a trail, I don't own an atv. Thing is I talk to a guy in an utv and he's seeing a few bucks a day running road. Small bucks but bucks.

I wouldn't shy away from the ATV areas in that unit. Not really a backcountry area. Use vehicle/atv/optics to cover a ton of ground, find a buck, put pack on, go.

Well 124 miles worth of two tracks and I'm cross-eyed from glassin and all I turned up was three doe. Moon is getting fuller and temps warmer. Not sure were I went wrong but 22 left me licking my wounds.

Heard it’s been very tough up there this year! Keep covering ground. Send me a PM, I had that hunt a couple years ago

I appreciate everyone's suggestions but I bailed out last night. Heart wasn't in it anymore. Is it true that there isn't a large resident herd? What a local told me. And that the cold snap pushed those deer out the week before and the flattop herd hasn't been pushed down.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back