MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Colorado unit 7

mrklean

Starting to plan my first elk hunt for next fall I could probably draw a bull muzzy tag but my buddy doesn't have any points so he might be able to get a cow muzzy tag, that's one reason we are looking at this unit is the draw odds seem better. I did some searching and a lot of the info that is out there is well over 5 years old, looks like it use to have a really good population but has come down and also looks like parts got bad beetle kill. I have some general areas i am looking at most are on the north of of the unit. Just looking for any info anyone who has been there before or any tips like areas to stay out of because of bad beetle kill etc. Thanks

Why are you concerned about the beetles? All they do is to open up more grazing area. There will still be plenty of cover in the beetle kill areas. They are not a reason to ignore an area.

When I hunted unit 7 a few years ago,i saw Moose almost everyday and some nice muledeer bucks but no elk.

I hunted gmu 7 for years. Most of it around deadman and sand creek. Feel free to shoot me a pm for specific questions, or here for general.
you might want to check success percentage there, it is pretty low for lots of reasons. Biggest mulie I have ever saw while hunting was at sand creek with a muzzleloader in my hands and no confidence in a 150 yard shot.

Ok thanks guys i was really look at draw odds but it might be better to either wait a year or keep looking. I'm going to keep digging

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back