Colorado unit 551

gordoferg

Me and my son will be hunting OTC bull 2nd season unit 551 staying in Sargents area . Have done all my scouting on OnX being from NC we cant get out there for a scouting trip due to working to be able to come out during season any pointers or info would be appreciated no honey holes wanted just some general info of the unit thanks in advance !

Dont overlook the steep areas close to the road. Many folks fly past on the trails and I have found plenty of elk in these places.

headed to 551 for archery from VA. I've hunted other parts of CO numerous times, but let my wife pick this years trip by where she wanted to apply. looking forward to new area. I'll get back to with any tips for the area come the end of September for you and your son.

headed to 551 for archery from VA. I've hunted other parts of CO numerous times, but let my wife pick this years trip by where she wanted to apply. looking forward to new area. I'll get back to with any tips for the area come the end of September for you and your son.
Thank you and good luck to you hope yall stick one and have a safe trip !!

I am interested getting unit 551 dialed in for elk. I have hunted the unit 5 or 6 times and have taken a nice 6x6 out of there and messed my daughters hunt up on a bigger bull. I am very familiar with the unit south of Needle Creek res. I have the elk movement narrowed down to a couple areas but would like to share info to get a few more areas dialed in.

I’ve never hunted the unit north of HWY 50. It seem that there are more people over there. I’m wanting to hunt muzzleloader this year my wife should have enough points for deer and if she draws a tag I want to concentrate on getting her on a buck. There are some giants if you take your time and don’t shoot the first nice buck you see. As far a info on Needle Creek I hunt the high country south of the lake and Dutchman ridge area without going into to much detail.

I’ve never hunted the unit north of HWY 50. It seem that there are more people over there. I’m wanting to hunt muzzleloader this year my wife should have enough points for deer and if she draws a tag I want to concentrate on getting her on a buck. There are some giants if you take your time and don’t shoot the first nice buck you see. As far a info on Needle Creek I hunt the high country south of the lake and Dutchman ridge area without going into to much detail.
Good for you for helping out, but for the sake of others hunting the unit, it would benefit you by taking the specific areas to a PM. 5 - 10 more hunters in that same unit will make a big difference in the year to come. For each person on this forum contributing publicly, there are hundreds of others just reading this with no intent to help but rather to beat you to the punch. May not seem like a big deal now but it will make a difference just mentioning the area. PM me and I can help with some knowledge of the area.

Ill be in 551 hunting muleys in second season this year. Ill try to PM some of you to get your take

I guess i cannot pm? ill try to send some pm's to you fella hunters so we can keep in contact

Congratulations to you both i had elk all around me and no tag made a big mistake of passing a smaller buck up Sunday seen some nice ones Thurs and Fri scouting so you know rest of story haha we had a great time tho , congrats again !!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back