Colorado Unit 471

Crossfire

Pondering this unit for early rifle Elk 2017. It looks pretty hairy & steep. I've never been there. Am I delusional or is this a good unit for a nonresident with zero points?

It's definitely steep, rugged country. I don't know how old you are, what kind of shape you're in, or what your backpacking experience is. To enjoy this hunt and do it safely, you need to be in very good shape (especially if coming from low elevation) and be comfortable navigating the backcountry. This tag is also good for Unit 43, which is probably a little better than 471 for elk. A few years ago you could have easily drawn this tag as a NR with zero points, but I think your chance now would be about 60%. So to answer your original question, this could be a good choice depending on you and your expectations. At the very least you will get to experience some gorgeous country. With some hard work and luck you might even come home with an elk. Good luck!

I believe you're right about the draw odds, so I've adjusted my interest to Unit 65. It looks much easier for me to draw. Any thoughts on this unit?

Well, it's official. I've drawn unit 65 1st rifle this season. I've been pouring over google earth & have it narrowed down to about 75 places that look pretty good within the unit. With the rut winding down & the herd (I suspect) laying low, recovering & moving from higher elevation to lower, I'm wondering if I'll still be able to glass up some elk in the open, above timber line or will they be pretty much out of sight in the timber?

I hunt elk first rifle season near unit 65. A lot depends on the weather, the moon phase and hunting pressure. If it's really warm like it was last year they will most likely be at or above timberline. If there's snow, they'll be down lower....typically there's little snow in this area during first rifle season. If it's a full moon, they're difficult to see in the openings early in the morning or late evening but it still can be done. If its cloudy or there's a partial or no moon you should be able to locate them in the open on both ends of the day. I would pick several locations, some high, some medium and some lower and work your way through them. I've also heard them bugle during this season so you may get lucky and be able to locate them that way as well.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back