Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

COLORADO OTC DIY BULL. With My Packgoat

Congrats on a great hunt using a super pack animal. Do you have any trouble finding feed in the high country, that Fred likes? I'm curious, is Fred an Alpine breed?

Goats love to browse! So no need to pack in hay like you would for horses/mules. (one of the benefits of packgoats)
Packgoats are more than happy to eat the grass,brush,weeds,leaves, and others forage in the mountains.
And yes he is an Alpine. There are other breeds used for packing but alpines are the most widely used due to their agility, size, and hardiness.

Great story and trophy! Glad you and Fred had a successful trip!

Those are awesome pics! That was a great hunt and I'll bet Fred is a great partner. I have never seen that before. Goats are fun, low maintenance critters to have around.

I love the pic with Fred and the buck. That was better than shooting him with your bow!

I laughed at the photo's of fred at first but now I wouldn't mind having one or two after reading your story and seeing all the pics. What a cool way to hunt.

Just when you think you have seen it all on this forum, a goat to haul your kit, great idea, i reckon you might start a trend!
Congrats on your success, for the third time!

Cheers

Richard

Wondering the same thing!

Just used the self timer function on the camera, but you guys are not the first people to ask that question. My wife isnt convinced it was a solo hunt when she saw the pics :D lol

Fred looks great and nice bull! How hard was Fred to train?

If they are bottle raised and imprinted on humans, there is very little training involved. Its more like taking your dog for a walk. They really enjoy doing it. you dont even need a lead rope. they follow u happily. In fact, they are more upset if you tie them in camp and dont take them "hiking" with you.

Congrats on the bull. Always nice to have a friend to help with the pack out.

Awesome story and hunt. Have you ever had an encounter with predators (wolves, lions, bears) trying to get the goat? I've never heard of anyone using a goat to pack. Great idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back