Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

COLORADO OTC DIY BULL. With My Packgoat

This is awesome! I have to get me a pack goat! What do you do with him when you are out hunting..just tie him up? Congrats on getting a nice bull too!

I've got to say, not only did I laugh but my wife got a good laugh out of it as well. Have you ever ran in to anyone on the trail? What kind of looks/comments do you get?

Fred looks like a nice asset to have. Awesome pics, thanks for posting!

Congrats to Shedzilla on the hunt. :)

I think that it is beyond impressive how these goats can be so proficient as a pack animal, however for the sake of wildlife's health I'm going to take an opposite view to the use of domestic sheep, goats and camelids (llamas and alpacas) in specific wilderness areas.

These domestic animals can transfer several diseases to wildlife populations with a devastating result, in particular to wild sheep and goats, but potentially also to other ungulates. Due to these concerns, several jurisdictions are enacting restrictions on the presence of such domestic animals.

What appears golden may be dark.

Congrats!

Is Fred good with packing game out or just camp and supplies?

I seen a guy in a Toyota pickup with several pack goats loaded in the back last summer using them for a backcountry backpack trip.

Very cool!

My dad recently bought my kids a couple of young goats. While doing some goat research, I learned that they are sometimes used as a mountain pack animal. It really got the wheels spinning. I almost started a thread asking if anyone had experience using them. This answers some of my questions, and probably saved me alot of abuse. Awsome story, and good info. Thanks

You an't kiding when you say you used a goat!! Thats awsome! I would also like to know how you trained him, does he stay close when your hunting? Nice job!

a friend of mine has a goat, Nanny packs in like a champ! you're the only other person i've seen with a pack goat for hunting. getting it done 3 years in a row is awesome man Good on ya!

Congrats on a great hunt. My wife and kids have been wanting a goat and I keep telling them no. Know maybe I will have let them get one.

Way cool! Congrats to you and Fred! He looks like quite the trooper. I've always thought goats would be a fun way to pack stuff. If you don't mind me asking, how do you transport them and how much pasture/land does it take for a 1/2 dozen goats?

Do does or bucks work better for pack animals. Should you get them as a baby out can you purchase an adult.

One question I don't think was asked about Fred...... What do you do with Fred while you are out hunting for the day? Does he tag along with you ? And great job on the hunt, Fred is way cool too, I could used him a couple weeks ago packing in and out in the freakin rain many times!

He goes with... I believe he mentioned that in a post, there is a ton of stuff out there on pack goats, I did some research a few years back, they breed for specific things for pack goats, some are expensive, a quick google search will bring up a ton of info. and I decided not too go with goats, I just got 2 hunting buddies. It was cheaper that way.....
Matt

This is a cool story - Be protective of your goats ! I friend of mine used to regularly hunt with a string of 4 of them, finally gave it up because with wolves and lions he started to feel like he was baiting AND he was very attached to his goats to boot - A pretty darn awesome way to do a backcountry hunt though ! The bull is nothing to be ashamed of either !

Congrats on your bull. Great assist to Fred. Thanks for sharing with all of us. Welcome to the site.

He goes with... I believe he mentioned that in a post, there is a ton of stuff out there on pack goats, I did some research a few years back, they breed for specific things for pack goats, some are expensive, a quick google search will bring up a ton of info. and I decided not too go with goats, I just got 2 hunting buddies. It was cheaper that way.....
Matt

Thanks everybody, Ill try to answer a few questions. Yes he goes along during the day as i hunt, although you can highline them in camp like horses. the deer and elk are not spooked by goats. And yes, a google search of "packgoats " will give you all the info you could want.

I have stock racks i put in the bed of my truck to haul them, unless its gonna be really cold weather, then a small horse trailer is the best option.

For those of you who get EASTMAN'S magazine there is an article in last summers DIY Backcountry issue (EBJ July/Aug issue #72) about DIY pack animals including packgoats.

goats add another level of fun and enjoyment to the trip, almost similar to hunting birds with a good working dog. part of the fun is watching them "work"

Last edited:
Do does or bucks work better for pack animals. Should you get them as a baby out can you purchase an adult.

Wethers (castrated males) are what is used for packing. And if you have the time to raise them from babies and bottle feed them, that is prefered, but you can find full grown packers for sale occasionally if you keep an eye out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back