Colorado GMU80/81 Elk Hunt Partner 2020

My hunting experience in GMU 81 has only been during elk rifle seasons. I have scouted this area during summer and believe the location and movement of elk in this area would be similar for archery and the first two elk rifle seasons. For the second elk rifle season in GMU 81, I've hunted out of drop camps that were on top or near the top at elevations ranging from 10,600 feet to 12,200 feet. I rifle hunted mostly around the 11,700' elevation. The terrain on top is less steep with open rolling grass land interspersed with dense stands of conifers. Grass was plentiful on top. Using the Roaring Gulch trailhead on Forest Service Road 250 to get on top, I have hunted and/or scouted the Roaring Gulch trail as far as Twin Lakes, which I discovered was too much saddle time for my behind. Also, I have detoured onto the Bear Lake trail and hunted just off the top near Bear Lake. I really liked the Bear Lake area habitat and believe it to be primo elk country. During the second elk rifle season, I mostly hunted from Bonita Canyon and, then around the top in the direction of Bear Lake; following the dark timbered tree line. Elk seem to move off the top down into the dark timber in the mornings and, then move back on top in the late afternoon. Most of the elk signs seen were concentrated in and along the numerous draws and ravines that drop off from the top into dark timber. As described in my previous post, I hunted the 3rd elk rifle season during 2020. Good luck to you.
Hello. So, I'm new to the website and researching GMU 81. Not new to Colorado big game hunting though. I'm a non-resident who has been hunting Gunnison NF Gmu62 for the last 20 yrs. Normally hunt the entire archery season and stay in my travel trailer. I usually travel with 2 other guys but this year they have enough pts to put in for a preferred area and i do not. So, I figured I'd do something different as well. Looking to do an archery hunt in 81. I have some maps viewed google earth and have read numerous posts about the area. This year I am bringing a different friend who has really wanted to go elk hunting. It will be his 1st time. We've done a lot of other hunting together, but I think I'll be babysitting this trip LOL. He only has 7-10 days available for this trip and we will be staying in Capulin.
So having said all that what i am looking for is a starting point. Don't really need to know anyone's honey hole just a general area to start. Entry points to the NF where we can drive to and unload ATVs and go from there. I've seen posts mentioning FS 250/240 off hwy 15. Is this the main entry road? I'm sure the area has its mix of Aspens, Evergreens and scrub oak?
Any help anyone is willing to provide is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Hello. So, I'm new to the website and researching GMU 81. Not new to Colorado big game hunting though. I'm a non-resident who has been hunting Gunnison NF Gmu62 for the last 20 yrs. Normally hunt the entire archery season and stay in my travel trailer. I usually travel with 2 other guys but this year they have enough pts to put in for a preferred area and i do not. So, I figured I'd do something different as well. Looking to do an archery hunt in 81. I have some maps viewed google earth and have read numerous posts about the area. This year I am bringing a different friend who has really wanted to go elk hunting. It will be his 1st time. We've done a lot of other hunting together, but I think I'll be babysitting this trip LOL. He only has 7-10 days available for this trip and we will be staying in Capulin.
So having said all that what i am looking for is a starting point. Don't really need to know anyone's honey hole just a general area to start. Entry points to the NF where we can drive to and unload ATVs and go from there. I've seen posts mentioning FS 250/240 off hwy 15. Is this the main entry road? I'm sure the area has its mix of Aspens, Evergreens and scrub oak?
Any help anyone is willing to provide is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Welcome to HT.

Ok so I've read enough on these forums to know that
1-you guys don't like out of state hunters
2-all have the same opinion about get out there and scout before hunting dont ask for someone else to do your dirty work so to say.
It would be very easy to go to an area and scout if it was a couple hours away but not being in the same state makes it a little difficult.
If you bothered to read and digest my post you'd already know I've done some of the things i can do to prepare for going to a different area and the only specific thing i asked was major road getting into the NF. Not my first rodeo hunting Colorado. I can go to the area I've been hunting for the last 20 years and can tell you the draws, waterholes, meadows etc. it took 20 yrs to be able to that. But before going there i did my homework looking at maps and talking with others who have hunted there. I'm merely asking for a starting point into the NF from which i can branch out. Don't think that's to much to ask. If you were to come to TX and asked what works for hunting certain species of game animals here id think I'd have enough courtesy to help you out. I wouldn't put you out there and say "figure it out". GMU 81 probably consists of thousands of acres and I'm not asking for anyone's little piece of the forest they go to. Just a little direction i.e. major/minor rd to get me into the woods.

2-all have the same opinion about get out there and scout before hunting dont ask for someone else to do your dirty work so to say.
It would be very easy to go to an area and scout if it was a couple hours away but not being in the same state makes it a little difficult.
If you bothered to read and digest my post you'd already know I've done some of the things i can do to prepare for going to a different area and the only specific thing i asked was major road getting into the NF. Not my first rodeo hunting Colorado. I can go to the area I've been hunting for the last 20 years and can tell you the draws, waterholes, meadows etc. it took 20 yrs to be able to that. But before going there i did my homework looking at maps and talking with others who have hunted there. I'm merely asking for a starting point into the NF from which i can branch out. Don't think that's too much to ask. If you were to come to TX and asked what works for hunting certain species of game animals here id think I'd have enough courtesy to help you out. I wouldn't put you out there and say "figure it out". GMU 81 probably consists of thousands of acres and I'm not asking for anyone's little piece of the forest they go to. Just a little direction i.e. major/minor rd to get me into the woods.
Well I’m sure you’ll get some help after that!

I didn't mean to sound harsh. I have seen posts on different forums where some Colorado hunters have expressed their dislike for out of state hunters very strongly.
This past archery season hunting the unit we normally go to (still over the counter) I too experienced the effect of overcrowding. Opening morning go to a specific trailhead and much to my surprise, 10 ATVs parked there. Oh crap! In the past maybe have seen 2 others plus me. One hunter i met up there years ago and developed a friendship with was there and asked where I was going. Told him a specific spot and he said 2 hunters had already headed that way another 2 where up around the corner etc etc. I said ok I'll just head down the fence line way back to a water hole I've rarely seen anyone at. Get there and damned if someone was there. Long story short, CPW closed 5 areas around this one to draw only so that pushed all the hunters over to the OTC area.
It was like all thru the area we hunt. Talked with the game warden and i guess CPWs plan is to make all the areas draw only for archery. One in our group harvested a nice 5x5. Saw more bears this past season than recent years. Good snowmelt and rain headed into the season.
I appreciate the offer to PM you but being new I have yet to accumulate the necessary amount of messages to do that.

well

I am not familiar with them. If you want to hunt units 80/81 with an outfitter I would recommend Conejos Canyon Outfitters or the Lost Elk outfitters. Both owners live and work exclusively in the two units. You want find anyone more knowledgeable about those units.
If you have specific questions about the units send me a private message and I'll share what I can.
I hunted with rainbow trout outfitters two years ago in this area and had a good hunt ( drop camp hunt). Very professional and wanted to hunt with them last year but I was not able to on my end.

Good info but not wanting an outfitter hunt. Colorado already sticks it to the non resident hunters with the cost of tags. Then an outfitter fee on top of that, no thanks. It costs a TX nonresident $2-3k for the trip and that's if you have your own rv to stay in the NF

Been doing some more research about gmu 80/81. A few years back we accidently hunted 80 unknowing it had gone to draw. It was really an honest mistake. we had originally started in our regular unit and hit up 80 on the way back to TX. Only stayed there a few days. Didn't get checked by game. warden.
Anyway, I'm actually thinking about going there instead of 81. I still remember going in the NF at Willow Park access rd. Went up around Del Norte Peak and found some good accessible roads and trails. If I remember I think some of the area was hit by a fire? Maybe just dreaming or thinking of somewhere else.
anyone care to share some info on that.
Thanks.

If you bothered to read and digest my post you'd already know I've done some of the things i can do to prepare for going to a different area and the only specific thing i asked was major road getting into the NF. Not my first rodeo hunting Colorado. I can go to the area I've been hunting for the last 20 years and can tell you the draws, waterholes, meadows etc. it took 20 yrs to be able to that. But before going there i did my homework looking at maps and talking with others who have hunted there. I'm merely asking for a starting point into the NF from which i can branch out. Don't think that's to much to ask. If you were to come to TX and asked what works for hunting certain species of game animals here id think I'd have enough courtesy to help you out. I wouldn't put you out there and say "figure it out". GMU 81 probably consists of thousands of acres and I'm not asking for anyone's little piece of the forest they go to. Just a little direction i.e. major/minor rd to get me into the woods.
But you really are asking this if you want FS road numbers if you think about it. The USFS has a great interactive website to get this information so why ask for it here? Just realize many of these guys have also put 20 years into a unit as you have and respect that. The forest is smaller than we think especially in CO with the crowds. Good luck and have a blast this fall!

Been doing some more research about gmu 80/81. A few years back we accidently hunted 80 unknowing it had gone to draw. It was really an honest mistake. we had originally started in our regular unit and hit up 80 on the way back to TX. Only stayed there a few days. Didn't get checked by game. warden.
Anyway, I'm actually thinking about going there instead of 81. I still remember going in the NF at Willow Park access rd. Went up around Del Norte Peak and found some good accessible roads and trails. If I remember I think some of the area was hit by a fire? Maybe just dreaming or thinking of somewhere else.
Thanks.
Thanks.
Just go there for a scouting trip this summer. TX is close to the unit and many of us have driven much further to scout. Then go hunting, if that is what you want to do.

I hunted with rainbow trout outfitters two years ago in this area and had a good hunt ( drop camp hunt). Very professional and wanted to hunt with them last year but I was not able to on my end.
I think they have sold out or no longer in business since Ronnie passed away and all.

He doesn’t get it buddy.
I get a lot! you're just being d... with your comments. You don't like my posts then don't waste your time commenting. I'm familiar with the area and just asking if the place was hit by fire. I've hunted Uncompahgre NF before as well and just can't remember which areas I've been to that have been hit by fires in the last 10 yrs. I can't keep up with the fires Colorado has had.

South Central TX is not close at all. 17 hour drive both ways, $1000 in fuel cost plus meals. not to mention time off to take the trip. Some of us are not made of money to be able to do that. Just being real.

I get a lot! you're just being d... with your comments. You don't like my posts then don't waste your time commenting. I'm familiar with the area and just asking if the place was hit by fire. I've hunted Uncompahgre NF before as well and just can't remember which areas I've been to that have been hit by fires in the last 10 yrs. I can't keep up with the fires Colorado has had.
Ok. I want to be clear that you were only asking for fire information correct? Nothing else?

I was just saying you should plan a scouting trip instead of trying to pull detailed information out of others in an open setting. Not cool. I am not made of money either, but have driven much further than that to scout for hunts and have taken flights to other states for scouting. It always comes down to "how bad do you want it".

Finally, I help a ridiculous number of hunters with hunting big game in the West. Many units, in many states, over many years. 10 posts on Hunt Talk and you are pumping people for information? Let me be clear, "You are going about this process all wrong". The attitude certainly isn't helpful to your cause either.

Good luck

Ok. I want to be clear that you were only asking for fire information correct? Nothing else?

I was just saying you should plan a scouting trip instead of trying to pull detailed information out of others in an open setting. Not cool. I am not made of money either, but have driven much further than that to scout for hunts and have taken flights to other states for scouting. It always comes down to "how bad do you want it".

Finally, I help a ridiculous number of hunters with hunting big game in the West. Many units, in many states, over many years. 10 posts on Hunt Talk and you are pumping people for information? Let me be clear, "You are going about this process all wrong". The attitude certainly isn't helpful to your cause either.

Good luck
The issue with these forums is that everyone thinks everyone else is out to get their "secret" hunting spot that they are not willing to just provide "basic" information. Then have to make snide comments or suggestions that are not realistic for some. So yeah, I get an attitude. I asked 2 different things in my posts. 1- was the one forest road off hwy 15 coming from Capulin the best entrance to the NF in 81. 2- had the area off Willow Creek access rd in 80 been hit by fire. I couldn't remember. Where in those 2 questions was anything mentioned about hot spots to hunt? Basic questions. I could see I was asking specific questions reference a specific area i.e. where do elk travel waterholes draws etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back