Colorado GMU 45

TreeDog

Three buddies from college and myself are planning a trip to chase Colorado elk this fall. We'll be going for 2nd rifle. The main area we have looked at is the Red Cliff/Minturn area, so unit 45. We have some insider info, but it definitely doesn't hurt to learn as much about the area and animals as you can before you go. We've been scouting with Google Earth and Colorado Hunting Atlas. Focusing on the Holy Cross Wilderness on the west side of the unit to to lack of roads and mostly foot access. We're all under 30 and more than willing to hunt hard and put on the miles. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

I hunted second rifle near homestake peak this year on a guided hunt. The weather was warm and we had no hunters below us and we saw zero elk in 6 days. We were camped around 12000ft by the mulhall lakes. LOTS of sign but no elk seen. There were 4-5 other camps brought in by our outfitter in the holy cross area. It would be a good idea to call the area outfitters in the early fall and ask them where their camps are. They will not want to see you as much as you don't want to see them and they will give you their camp locations. There is a ton of water there so pack it lightly. It's also crazy steep so do more squats/lunges. Pm me if you need any more info.

Back