Yeti GOBOX Collection

Colorado Elk Unit 54 OTC

edbentle

Hey guys,

I didn't get out last year to hunt elk like I was planning on, but it looks like this year I will be heading to Colorado for an OTC hunt in unit 54. Does anyone have any knowledge of this unit and willing to nudge me in the right direction? It is likely I will be out for the 3rd OTC hunt but may end up in the 2nd OTC hunt. I'm not sure if it makes a difference. Any advice is appreciated.

Good Morning Edbentle,

Look in the Elk Post for the following posts names/titles. You will see some good information regarding GMU 54. Me and other 3 guys will be going there for 2nd Rifle Season and other members already shared some good info. Any specific questions, just post it here.

GMU 54 related posts:
1. Info Regarding Elk at GMU 54 2nd Rifle Season
2. CO unit 54 access
3. Colorado GMU 54 - 2nd Rifle Season Help!!

V/R,
ColoradoHunter719

I hunted 54 in '13 and '14 during archery season.
During archery season the south half is devoid of elk. At least I never seen any there. One of the main areas to access higher elevations is Rainbow lake. That will have plenty of vehicles there. Soap creek will have vehicles as well. There is a little basin up soap creek before the wilderness. It holds elk but plenty of people know about it and it don't take much to bump the elk out of there. So you could luck out or hit a basin being hunted already. Or it could be empty to due to pressure.
Most people don't go in much farther then a few miles up soap creek. In the wilderness that is. We went in 5 miles and the only people we seen were from eagle mountain outfitters. You can come in threw 53 to the same area but it's going to be a 5 mile hike that way as well. Most of the elk were 10 or higher. But we did run into some a little lower.

There is a couple ways to access from the east side. I have been over there and hunted close to the private but that was archery season and the rut. There is a good size herd that will stay on private on the east side all year long. Beaver creek will hold elk but it's not going to be fun getting one out of there if you don't have horses. It probably will have hunters in there with horses. Like I said before I hunted 5 miles in up soap creek. I would rather pack an elk out there then from beaver creek.

The Baldys will have elk but plenty of outfitters up there as well as people accessing from Rainbow lake.

Jeep hill and some other areas are no joke. I run a lifted truck with off-road tires so I never had to chain up. But chains are a good thing to have. Of course snow will change things but if no snow I would look high or in deep nasty canyons. The unit is plenty steep as well.

If you have any more questions feel free to pm me.

Thank you for your responses. They are very helpful. Fulldraw I may pm you at some point as I do more research into the unit.

Back