Caribou Gear

Colorado elk hunt-unit 24 info

NDHUNTER

I am hunting unit 24 during second rifle season for elk this year for the first time. I am looking for any helpful info that will point me in the right direction. I realize it's a busy unit with a lot of hunting pressure. I am quite willing to put in the effort to do whatever it takes to find the elk. Sounds like I will be battling through plenty of snow as well! Thanks for your help. Good luck to all this hunting season!

Never hunted it, but good luck. It's always fun and always has some sort of adventure.

I am hunting unit 24 during second rifle season for elk this year for the first time. I am looking for any helpful info that will point me in the right direction. I realize it's a busy unit with a lot of hunting pressure. I am quite willing to put in the effort to do whatever it takes to find the elk. Sounds like I will be battling through plenty of snow as well! Thanks for your help. Good luck to all this hunting season!

Have you checked out the info on the Hunters Atlas on the CPW website? Also, get with the hunt planners and biologist for the area. Tell them that you are willing do ad te should have some ideas for you.

This will be my 28th year hunting that area. Big beautiful country with lots of elk most everywhere. First season hunters push the animals deep into the spruce-fir. Second season can be a tough hunt until the snow piles up. Lots of hunter pressure in the first five days, then you'll have the place to yourself. Good luck!

Thanks for the input!
HUMMER- Do you think there has been enough snow to start pushing them down yet? I heard the Flat Tops had 3' already.

My guess is the big push won't happen until there's another significant storm of 2' or more. The snow that fell a week ago has mostly melted off except in the shaded areas above 9500 feet (from what I can see of the Grand Mesa). Wait until you make it into camp and get all set up, then pray for snow.

Will you be working with an outfitter, drop camp, renting horses, or all on your own? At any rate, go well prepared with maps, compass and gps. And, don't underestimate the amount of ground you'll need to cover to escape the roadside crowds and get into animals.

My guess is the big push won't happen until there's another significant storm of 2' or more. The snow that fell a week ago has mostly melted off except in the shaded areas above 9500 feet (from what I can see of the Grand Mesa). Wait until you make it into camp and get all set up, then pray for snow.

Will you be working with an outfitter, drop camp, renting horses, or all on your own? At any rate, go well prepared with maps, compass and gps. And, don't underestimate the amount of ground you'll need to cover to escape the roadside crowds and get into animals.

We are renting a cabin near Buford, all DIY. We are bringing 4 wheelers, but I realize to be successful we will need to park those and head deep into the back country on foot. We know it's hard work but that's part of the excitement. The journey that's involved to find the animals is what makes the memories!
I suppose in your 28 yrs of hunting this area you have seen some pretty nice animals. There are five of us in camp and all have the same attitude; any elk taken is a trophy. We look forward to the challenge!

I've been planning on going to 24 for my very first hunt as well. Backpacking in DIY style. I see you mention four wheelers, aren't you not allowed to use them in the Forrest service areas? Which most of 24 is?

Brett

I've been planning on going to 24 for my very first hunt as well. Backpacking in DIY style. I see you mention four wheelers, aren't you not allowed to use them in the Forrest service areas? Which most of 24 is?

Brett

We will be using them for transport from our camp which is outside the national forest to trail heads, then hiking in from there. Hopefully using them as well to haul some fresh back straps back to camp! Are you going second season?

I gotcha. Yes 2nd season. Very first elk hunt. My brain is fried from reading so much.

If you go to the "Stay the Trail" program website if you gives you trail maps of where you can and can't ride. Stop reading and start hunting!!! Good luck to you! I hope to see some great bull pics from you on this web site!

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mowglimadness
Back