MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Colorado Draw Changes

Well, so far, the only thing the majority of the members can agree on to curb preference point creep is to increase the cost of preference points. Lord have mercy those comments made me cringe.

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Same story everywhere and it’s not going to change: more people & subsequently more hunters combined with less game. It’s never going to get better, at least not in the West on Public Land.

The future of hunting opportunity is on well managed private ground for big $. I’m sure that will make some heads here explode, but that’s the reality. Public opportunities are not going to zero, but they will become increasingly rare for NR’s for anything other than whitetails.

We’re in the tail end of the glory days. The sky isn’t completely falling, but the game is changing and Western hunting opportunities (for R’s and NR’s) will never get back to what was available a decade ago…or a year ago.

Last edited:
Same story everywhere and it’s not going to change: more people & subsequently more hunters combined with less game. It’s never to get better, at least not in the West on Public Land.

The future of hunting opportunity is on well managed private ground for big $. I’m sure that will make some heads here explode, but that’s the reality. Public opportunities are not going to zero, but they will become increasingly rare for NR’s for anything other than whitetails.

We’re in the tail end of the glory days. The sky isn’t completely falling, but the game is changing and Western hunting opportunities (for R’s and NR’s) will never get back to what was available a decade ago…or a year ago.
I think you're right unfortunately! I was talking with a acquaintance the other day he's been playing the "draw game" for a little over a decade. We were talking about the Wyoming general changes and speculating on the points it would take. He explained to me why he thinks point creep will taper off in a few years it was a amalgamation of the usual stuff you hear people aging out, being priced out, western hunting is hard so some will quit, recession will fix everything blah blah blah. This guy's a MD and smart but it's amazing what people can convince themselves of if they want to believe. The numbers don't lie supply keeps dropping and demand keeps growing no end insight that I see.

I think you're right unfortunately! I was talking with a acquaintance the other day he's been playing the "draw game" for a little over a decade. We were talking about the Wyoming general changes and speculating on the points it would take. He explained to me why he thinks point creep will taper off in a few years it was a amalgamation of the usual stuff you hear people aging out, being priced out, western hunting is hard so some will quit, recession will fix everything blah blah blah. This guy's a MD and smart but it's amazing what people can convince themselves of if they want to believe. The numbers don't lie supply keeps dropping and demand keeps growing no end insight that I see.

There are more 65 year olds than 55 year olds, and they control a larger share of this countries wealth than an generation ever has… some weird shifts are going to occur in the next 15 years.

I think you're right unfortunately! I was talking with an acquaintance the other day he's been playing the "draw game" for a little over a decade. We were talking about the Wyoming general changes and speculating on the points it would take. He explained to me why he thinks point creep will taper off in a few years it was a amalgamation of the usual stuff you hear people aging out, being priced out, western hunting is hard so some will quit, recession will fix everything blah blah blah. This guy's a MD and smart but it's amazing what people can convince themselves of if they want to believe. The numbers don't lie supply keeps dropping and demand keeps growing no end insight that I see.
I was elk hunting in unit 76 when 9-11 hit, I drew that hunt with 4 pp. I hunted unit 76 again in 2021, it took 14 pp to draw that hunt.

Quit buying points at 8 points when I realized it was hopeless. They can give me $10 a point and wash me out of the system and I’ll be happy.

2:33:00

This is exactly how the system is currently being abused by NR's in Wyoming.

-50/50 (Pure preference/Bonus) split recommendation tag allocations.
-Preference points will be burned on the first draw choices 1-4.
-75/25 one split recommendation for DEBP.

Seems to me that the choices 1-4 pp burn will do nothing but kick the undesirable tags down the road to the next draw. Almost every single good tag gets drawn in the first choice first round so it seems kind of silly to worry about taking people points on choices 2-4.

People will just put in for those great tags as their first choice and then wait to see what happens in the secondary/leftover/re-issue days. Hopefully they address what happens to people points at those phases in the draw. It was brought up several times, but no decisions were made that I heard.

I wish they would have gotten more granular on WHO (R vs NR) turned in those tags and what tags they were (M,E,F). That would have been interesting data.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back