colorado archery elk dates

Nick87

Three of us are planning our first elk hunt in colorado this september. We are going to hunt an otc unit in sw part of the state, looking at unit 80 or a surrounding unit. The way our schedules line up we can either go the first week of season (8-29 thru 9-6) or the later in the season after muzzleloader season (9-20 through 9-26). What do you guys think would be the better week? I know the earlier the less pressured, but later on they will be bugling quite a bit, thanks for any advice.

My favorite week is normally the third week of September as the rut is going pretty well and the hunting pressure seems to be less in the areas I hunt...

There is not a bad week to hunt elk ,just need to adjust your hunting to the elk .I like hunting wallows.Early season .Find a seep or small spring and fallow it up and look for active wallows. The higher up you are ,the more chance of seeing them come in during the day light.Some times I can smell a wallow 1/4 mile away.I don't set the wallow but set the game trail leading to it.

If it was me,and it is most years, I'm going later.I almost always start my archery hunts around the 15/16 and go 7-10 days.It always seems around the 18th -20th to get really hot with action

Curious as to why you're interested in hunting Unit 80 in Colorado? I live in this unit, and feel I know a few things about it. This unit doesn't have near the Elk in it that it had 10-15 years ago. There's also a fair amount of roads that allow for more hunters to access a lot of the country. I'd hunt elsewhere if I couldn't generate an advantage over other hunters by knowing the country I'm going to hunt, (better), having horses to pack in, and of course the convenience of hunting from home when I wish. I'll still probably venture down to Unit 81 in the wilderness areas though. More Elk, nicer country, and less hunting pressure.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back