Colorado and CWD Elk

yesac104

I was wondering if anyone on this forum has some info on the statistics of the percentage of elk that were tested that came back positive with CWD? I'm aware of the zones that have CWD affected elk but not the percentage. I would hate to spend all the time, money, and effort to shoot an elk and have it come back positive? Some of the units we have narrowed down to hunt have CWD and not sure its worth the chance. Thanks in advance.

Although I think I’ve seen it somewhere before, I don’t have that info. IIRC CO used to give you another tag if your animal came back positive. They no longer do that. Likely because so many test positive. Take everything I said lightly. I don’t have the numbers, and may be wrong about the extra tag thing. Someone else may be able to verify that.

I was wondering if anyone on this forum has some info on the statistics of the percentage of elk that were tested that came back positive with CWD? I'm aware of the zones that have CWD affected elk but not the percentage. I would hate to spend all the time, money, and effort to shoot an elk and have it come back positive? Some of the units we have narrowed down to hunt have CWD and not sure its worth the chance. Thanks in advance.

I think with elk you are ok.... I'm not sure how I would feel about hunting the eastern plains for deer... 33% is pretty high.

I’m less risk averse than most. I’m not eating any part of an animal that tests positive. Elk do have lower prevalence rates than mule deer no matter where you look.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back