Caribou Gear

Colorado Advice Sought

bmontang

Hello, I am looking for some general (or as specific as you would like) advice on Colorado. I have hunted a few seasons in unit 52 (Grand Mesa area) and am now thinking about switching things up. The main reason is this year I started hunting with a horse and I don't think 52 gives as much of an advantage to a horse hunt as maybe other units would. The ATV trails in 52 make getting far away form the trails a challenge. Just about the time I think I am a good distance from a trail, I am on the next trail. 52 is definitely a good unit for hunting on an ATV though.

I have started to look at other units where I could pack a string of horses in and be 6-10 miles back and that far from trails. Looking at unit 81 near the Platora reservoir as one option. Also wondering looking at 77 NW of Pagosa. I am open to other areas as well. Just trying to think through an area that offers the ability to take a string of horses deep into an area as away from the crowds as one can get without needing 15-20 points. We will have a group of 4-8 guys depending on military leave and other schedules. I have a 16x20 Davis Wall tent that I would like to put up and the ability to pretty much take as many horses as needed.

If it were you based on your knowledge where would you look unit wise. I am not looking for GPS coordinates to a honey hole (though I won't delete a PM if you send them lol) just trying to narrow down the playing field a bit. I have looked at OnX with the roadless areas highlighted and also on the USPS Interactive visitors map (which if you haven't used I highly recommend it). https://www.fs.fed.us/ivm/index.html

TIA

It's no better, or worse than any other otc or general easy to draw unit in Colorado. If you change units you are starting over. Also, the "horse" units you mentioned are just as bad, just trade ATV's for horsemen. A quality experience in OTC CO is tough to obtain.

Look for the wilderness areas to get away from roads and atvs. It sounds like you're already doing that.

There are always going to be trails, you're never going to get several miles away from a trail in Colorado. I wouldn't let that discourage you though. Lots of trails are seldom used. Even if they are, you can still find elk.

Weminuche and flat tops are the largest wilderness areas in the state. There's going to be a lot of hunters in both of those.

The locals will likely shoot me, but the east side of the Unk has lots of good elk country. Most of the stuff near the roads and trailheads gets crowded. But I know of several elk hunters who do well in there with horses. I could say the same about a few other OTC or low-point units too. I would study maps and map apps thoroughly. In this day and age, there's no reason to be surprised by a legal trail or rider. I've been the CO OTC guy with access to atv and bike, but rarely a horse. Many many times I've said "...if I only had horses..." The grass is always greener I guess.

By Unk do you mean Uncompahgre? Sorry if I am missing an obvious abbreviation.

Horse versus ATV really breaks down to preference in some ways. I thought about just buying an ATV (easier maintenance in the off season and they don't buck) but with the relatively easy access to horses I am wanting to use them and really get away form the crowds. I am definitely studying the maps and have areas where I know I can be a good distance from motorized (<50) trails, not it is just a matter of getting advice and narrowing things down.

I get that OTC = Pressure to some extent, but I am going to try to minimize the pressure as best I can...

I know the experience you seek and it can be had, though you should think outside the box a bit. A lot of outfitters and hunting groups pack in with horses. Especially here in Southern CO where it seems that the entire State of Texas shows up with their horses to go deep (Texans, thank you for your tourism dollars I'm just stating my observations). You really can't out-distance yourself from other hunters in CO like you might be able to in Wyoming and Montana. At least not on a trail system like horses require. Pick a unit and go in as far as you think you need and just hunt. They are all the same pressure wise unless you draw a limited unit. Just trying to save you from going 10 miles into the Flat Tops or Uncompahgre only to find other camps in all of the best looking areas. You may find better hunting going just 2 or 3 miles. You will find other hunters no matter how far you go and you just need to hunt around them and have a good time no matter what. Good luck!

I have hunted the general area you are asking about. Horse hunting with and without an outfitter is very popular there. You can have a good hunt there doing that but don’t expect that you will be the exception, you will be one of many.

Back