Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

CO units 23, 24, 33, 34

Deltaboy

Anybody hunted elk during the second rifle season in CO units 23, 24, 33 or 34? Thinking of doing a backpack hunt there this October.

Yup 3 times in 23 . We get elk in our group all 3 trips - way back in by sleepy cat peak we've had best luck as long as there's not tons of snow u can get a long ways back with 4 wheeler then walk a few miles deeper yet

I've hunted those areas for the past 28 consecutive years, taking my 25th elk there last October.

I have no special honey holes to secret (but I'm not going to tell you where they are, either). ;)

All the areas in and around the Flat Tops are good. It is heavily hunted but you should get into elk if you leave the atv at home and backpack in a few miles.

Be prepared for serious snow even in second season, seems to happen about every other year. Third season success may be better with less hunter pressure but some higher elevation access roads can become impassable.

Go get 'em, Deltaboy!

im with hummer took my first elk there with abow 2 years ago with eagle nest outfitters drop camp.goodtime

One piece of Advise - if u can swing it with work , show up on Sunday or Monday and hunt all week of second season and then go home by Saturday - gets to be a lot less people around by Monday and Tuesday . Last trip we had our best hunting Wednesday and Thursday - very few people around

Sorry for the delay in responding. I live in the delta region of Mississippi. We have had a little ice and the entire region shut down.:D

I was planning to get there the Friday before (24 hour drive from home) and spend the week. The chance of alot of snow has me a little worried though. I can handle some but not sure if I would be prepared enough for feet of snow (don't get more than an inch or so, if it ever snows here). Would I be better off trying to get a rifle tag for the first season? Are there any units that I could reasonably expect to get a tag for my first year applying?

I don't expect to kill anything my first trip out there. I am really looking forward to just being out there hunting. I've put it off for too long.

call 303-297-1192 have the regs sent to you.talk to a hunt planner.they are very helpful.read regs and call back hunt planner. is ther sci in your area?safari club members can be helpful.

theres draw imfo on this site;look it up.Good luck you will have a blast,and start saving for all your future trips.Haven't met very many guys that have only gone once.It gets in your blood and you forget all about whitetails

Sorry for the delay in responding. I live in the delta region of Mississippi. We have had a little ice and the entire region shut down.:D

I was planning to get there the Friday before (24 hour drive from home) and spend the week. The chance of alot of snow has me a little worried though. I can handle some but not sure if I would be prepared enough for feet of snow (don't get more than an inch or so, if it ever snows here). Would I be better off trying to get a rifle tag for the first season? Are there any units that I could reasonably expect to get a tag for my first year applying?

I don't expect to kill anything my first trip out there. I am really looking forward to just being out there hunting. I've put it off for too long.

If you're just looking for the experience, then I would suggest a cow only archery tag. They are less expensive, and the weather during archery season is much more favorable. Of the units you have chosen, unit 34 has the antlerless elk archery tags.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back