PEAX Equipment

CO. unit 54 2nd season elk.

nr8l

Hey everyone! I'm looking for some help. I didn't draw any of my tags this year so in an effort to try and fill the freezer, I picked up a tag for unit 54 here in CO. I have not been in this unit in a long time, and have very little info on/about it. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Please feel free to pm. Thanks in advance.

Old info. Hunted out of soap creek campground in 2001 with 9 others. Some hiked and some rented horses. I only hiked in as far as rock springs where there was an outfitter. Didn't see any elk.

Next year we hunted a different unit but got our pack horse from a place by soap creek. They did very well that year above rock springs.

I have hunted this unit a couple of times. The times I hunted was during bow season. I hunted around Rainbow lake in the West Elk wilderness. Each time we hunted this area we saw elk. Came very close to connecting with a bull. Was able to get a cow. This area is very steep and rugged. Horses would make hunting this area a lot better. This area that I am talking about is basicly east of soap creek basin. Another area we hunted was Table mountain but it is crowed. Good luck.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back