CO tag clarification

KnotOnCall

Can somebody clarify my thinking... So in theory if I put in for a 2nd rifle cow tag and get drawn, I then buy an OTC bull tag for the same unit. I can in theory shoot a cow or bull. Or would I be restricted to only shooting a cow??? This will be my first elk trip and I'm really just hoping to get a cow, but if opportunity presents itself with a bull I would be over the top excited. I have 0 preference points, so the plan is to buy a point and try to get a 2nd choice draw. There is only a hand full of units this might be possible as a NR so trying to give myself as much as opportunity as possible. If we don't draw there is always OTC. thanks for any suggestions.

As long as the cow tag is a "list B" tag then you could also get the OTC bull tag. You could shoot both a cow and bull if you want to in that situation. It sounds expensive though, over $1000 for both tags.

If you have the money, it might be worth spending to get two tags. My first year elk hunting I had a cow tag, and opening morning I had a perfect opportunity at nice 6x6 Bull at 65 yards. Since then, I get both licenses every year. However, I have never pulled the trigger on two animals. I have had a few opportunities, but getting one elk out is hard work, two in one week would be tough, especially if you have a small group or you are by yourself. But having two tags in your pocket increases the odds at getting your first elk, but understand that one, if not both will most likely go unused. The areas that allow you to get multiple tags are heavily hunted and it is not easy work to get on elk. But if you want an elk, and you only have a bull tag and you see nothing but cows or vise versa, you might be upset with yourself that you did not spent the extra money.
Or since it is your first year, pick a tag, go hunt and see what you can find. Who knows, you may not see a single animal and eating tag soup with only one tag wont suck as bad.

The important thing to remember is your cow tag must be from a B list tag unit. Not all cow tags are B list.

thanks for all the input. Ive been reading so much the last couple of weeks I feel like I'm on elk overload. I've got it narrow down to 2 units (units 64&82) that we have a chance at drawing 1st rifle season bull/cow tag. if anybody has any suggestions, I'd be grateful for the advice. Now I've got to go through each unit and see which one has the most public access, and which of the two has the more severe terrain.

You'd be better off looking for units and seasons that have an either sex tag if you want the option of bull or cow. I'd second that finding, killing and packing out two in one week sounds tough. My brother in law used to get a deer and elk tag for the same season until the year he got both and then he never did it again. If you can work the A and B list thing for the same unit I'd go for OTC in one season and the a draw tag the following season and make it a two week hunt.

the two units we are looking at, are either sex, unless I'm misreading them. yeah I don't think I'm good enough shape to pack 2 animals in one week.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FelixMarvin
Back