CO Preference Points?

Last year I didn't figure this out until after the deadline to buy the prior year license so I bought a current year one. From what I can tell I was never charged the $40 for the preference points but I did get them.

This whole process is a mess and I don't know when they would actually charge folks the extra $40 per species if you didn't buy the fishing license.

When applying this year it didn't charge me anything for a point, but it didn't last year either.

Now I'm confused. I just bought points this year. I bought the 2017 Fishing license and a 2018 Habitat Stamp. Did I do this wrong? Can someone confirm?

Nevermind, I forgot you have to buy the habitat stamp ever to apply so I already purchased 2017. It appears they won't let you buy the license without the stamp so one is not allowed to make that mistake. I just don't want to lose my points!

To clarify one more time, sometimes I get information overload. Option 1: Buy NR fishing license by today (3/31) for $66 and then buy points for $3 each. Option 2: Buy each NR point for $40 each.

In conclusion, you can buy the license and all 4 species for for the same cost as buying points for 2 species with no license.

Correct?

Option 1 - Buy 2017 fishing liscense (by today) + stamp = $66. Then add 2018 stamp $10 + application fee $3 per species. If applying for 2 the total would be $82.

Option 2 - Buy 2018 stamp + application fee $3 per species + preference point fee $40 per species. If applying for 2 the total would be $96.

I could be wrong but that is how I understand stand it.

Just to make it a little more confusing last year when you got a point they took the $40 out of your refund. This year you are charged the $40 for the point if you are unsuccessful at drawing the tag. If you don't pay the $40 you don't get the point. So, if you draw the tag you don't get charged the $40.

I have been a member of Huntin Fool (HF) for quite a few years. Their $100 fee has not gone up in over a decade. When confusion like this arises I find the answer is in the front of the state section they publish. Well worth the money if one is applying for multiple states and is new to the game. Also members can do the "old Fashion" thing and call HF and get someone to talk to ensuring no mistakes are made. Are HF, Epic and others 100% infallible? Of course not but it has made my life way easier balancing apps in 8-9 states. Good luck to all in the draws. Results will start rolling in heavy the next 45 days.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back