Caribou Gear Tarp

CO goat scouting

T Bone

Archery goat season is only 2 months out!

We spent 5 days last week goat scouting.

The first two days turned into a family backpacking trip, which was perfect except for the lack of goats. We started at 9000 ft elevation and went as high as 13200. The younger kids did extremely well.

Summer in the Rockies is in full bloom.

My better half and I.

With the lack of goats, I decided to drop the family off and head to a different trailhead.
The dog stayed with me. She's awesome!

This trail head was wicked to get to and worse once I started. A full day later, 9 miles in and 4000 feet higher found me running for cover above tree line with a full blown electric storm.

The next day everything was wet, but my hopes were high.

I was not disappointed.

Jackpot.

Billy goat hangout.

Here are the top 5 on the hit list.

#1 A goat named Horse. He's big. Like a horse. His body dwarfs most others he's around. I'd guess him at 9.5" plus.

He's the one in back.

Horse is playing dead after I drilled him with my imaginary arrow.

#2 Old and Broken.

He's old, broken, and as big as horse. His horns will only go 8" or so, but he's massive to the tip. I got to 35 yard of him and was able to count rings. He's 9+ years old.

#3 Diego.

He's got length and decent mass. Any guesses on his length?

#4 Kinky
He tries to mount anything.

#5 No Name

Just a good solid goat, although nothing outstanding.

A real good pack food dinner. The dog thinks it looks like hers.

Sleeping dog mountain. If you look close you can see goat on the horizon.

I also saw my first Ptarmigan in the lower 48, a very large bull elk that has me thinking, and 2 big rams.

I'd be happy to stick any of the ones above, but really think Horse is the one.

Last edited:
Very nice! Will they be haired up at all when the archery season starts?

Those first two look really good. Heck, all of those look really good.

Good luck!

They'll have decent hair in September, the high elevation helps. Most of these were between 13 and 13.5K'. I'll start hunting Sept 10 and will arrow the first mature billy I can. Once the snow hits, I have been told they go up to the cliffs to winter, so I don't want to wait too long hoping for hair.

Wow. Awesome country. Glad you found goats and I am excited to follow your hunt. Yellow labs are good luck, so I won't give you all the credit.

On another note, I see you are using the Olicamp pot. I have only used mine a handful of times, but am a big fan. Are you liking?

Awesome pictures T Bone, looks like you're in for a hell of a hunt.

Congrats, T-Bone. Looks like you're gonna have a great hunt. I wouldn't let #3 walk either. That's a nice billy.

Good stuff. Looks like you found right spot.

Miller, apply, apply, apply. ;)

Super! I'd take any of them, but agree with the order you put them in. A mtn goat with a bow would be wicked cool! The shorter hair would be quite appropriate IMO for that time of hunt. It will still make a great mount.

Miller,

The Olicamp pot is a bargain. Jetboil performance at 1/3 the price.

It really makes the fuel last longer.

Wow! You are going to have a long summer and an awesome fall!
Looking forward to watching this - Keep us in the loop...

Don't get close to kinky wearing that:) Those goats will be furred up nice by mid Sept.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back