CO Elk unit 22

I would strongly suggest another unit! I love unit 22 but have hunted since I was little. The problem with 22 is the lack of elk, especially early in September. What elk will be around will be highly visible from the main roads in early morning and the race will ne getting into position before anyone else as the leave the private fields and head to bedding areas. Usually this is myself and about 6-7 other groups of locals trying to all out gues and maneuver each other.

The picutre above was either an early spring picture or right after a storm. It is hot, usually in September the day time temp will be well into the 80s and near 90. The elk will only be active at very first light and last light! Literally you will have the first hour and the last 45 minutes to really get it done.

I have hunted the unit exclusively since 2002 for archery elk. I am pretty successful and have had good luck but I also know it inside and out. I also know that in my experience most years I hunt almost 20 days a season in the unit and get 1 chance. If I miss that chance I usually get tag soup. In my experience unit success rate is well below 10 percent.

Honestly there are many units with significantly more elk and a lot easier places to figure out.

Especially given the fact that we lost 22,000 acres of the best elk habitat in the unit to private land. The loss of this property has definitely made the unit significantly harder to hunt.

In other units a single herd of elk can contain more elk total than I can usually find in an entire season. The only reason why I keep going back is because every year I do just good enough to try again.

My wife and a good friend have hunted it with me for archery for 6 years now and neither have even let an arrow fly. My wife has never been full draw on a ill and my buddy only got to draw on bull 1 time.

If you do decide to come this way be prepared to to cover a ton of ground and go a couple days eve a week without finding new elk!

Also realize that the one good group of elk that can be seen from county road 5 on Pieance creek is there every single year because the BLM they bed on is land locked and there is no public access. The other small groups will be scattered. Unless it is a big herd on private you will likely only find small groups of 3 to 5 elk at a time if you find any at all.

If you are dead set on going 22 let me know. I will not tell you my honey holes, but there are huge chunks of the unit that hold little to no elk at all. Again before we lost the 22,000 acres of access thing we're pretty different.

Elks, is there another area/unit that you would send a flatlander like myself in CO for Elk?

I sent you a pm.
I was on the same boat as bangusmc. I've been planning unit 22 for the last two months study topos and onxmaps, mainly on the NW side of the unit. Your knowledge is making me reconsidering my decision. I bow hunted the flat top wilderness (25) with no luck last year. Mainly because it was my first time elk hunting and I was doing it solo. I train all year round running, crossfit and mobility exercises so terrain doesn't frighten me a whole lot. If you have any advice of any sort I'd love to take it

BangUSMC I'm from Minneapolis and just started bowhunting elk in CO. Feel free to PM me!

It took me a while to find this thread as using the search tool isn't effective as it says there's too many topics that have the given tag lines to narrow the search.

That being said 2 of my buddies and myself will be hunting in 22 during 3rd season this year. They have never elk hunted nor done any western hunting, I have elk hunted in Idaho and hunt in the west every year usually for Mule deer. I always find elk while mule deer hunting but haven't been successful on an elk hunt yet, always found animals but couldn't get a shot that was reasonable.

I have been researching this unit very very heavily for the past few months, upwards of 30 hours a week and spoke with the biologist in Meeker multiple times (great guy by the way). I have some very good spots narrowed down, verified by the biologist and that require paying close attention to the GPS to navigate the private correctly. That being said I'm open for more information and suggestions but I also have some questions.

How maintained are the roads? I plan on using my truck to get within a couple miles of an area and moving in on foot from there or is it too questionable to rely on a truck rather than a side by side or 4 wheeler?

How are the general camp sites in area? Do people typically respect each others stuff, I realize there's bad apples everywhere but generally speaking is your stuff safe at camp?

One site I was looking at for camp is around Rio Blanco Lake, just for convenience, not camping too close to potential hunting area, having water and easy runs to town if needed.

Another hunting related question, has anyone had any experience with bears in the unit? Is it worth looking into a bear tag if available during 3rd season there?

Thanks

From everyone I talked to as far as the roads go they said they are fine if they are dry, however if there is any moisture make sure to have tire chains as it gets pretty slick out there. What did the biologist have to say about the herd in unit 22?

I see all the posts from 2017, is all the chatter still relevant?
I've been researching unit 22 for an early rifle hunt. Stats aren't horrible but they aren't fantastic. I have a group of guys I am planning to hunt with and trying to find a unit where some of the old timers can road hunt while the young bucks can climb through the oak brush;)
My plan is to go scout it as soon as I can and get some eyes on the elk populations in there. Sounds pretty rough but you never know until you actually do your own scouting. I can let you know how it looks in a PM.

Any updates on 22? I’m planning a hunt at the end of sept. Hunter there in 21 and saw a few elk but never got a shot off

Back