Yeti GOBOX Collection

CO Elk 70 or 71 Archery/First Rifle

kelley12

I am trying to plan a hunt and i think i have narrowed it down to unit 70 or 71. I am going to try and get first rifle but if I do not draw that then it will probably be archery. Another option might be 80 or 81 for first rifle as the odds seem good but have not looked to much into those units yet.

Just seeing who has hunted those areas and if anyone can give suggestions. This will be my first time elk hunting and will be going with another guy who has never done an elk hunt as well.

I know all otc units are crowded but we will be doing bivy camps so getting off the road will not be a problem. Just looking for good chance to see and get on elk the statistics seem really good for these units.

Thank you

Unit 70

I hunted unit 70 this fall during muzzleloader and found that the elk moved through public on the way from private to private land. I would hunt 70 only if I was able to get back in wilderness area where private wasn't close so they couldn't escape and hole up. I met other hunters that shared same feelings. They were camping back in on little cone and hundreds of elk were on private and for the most part staying there. I got horses from circle k ranch that is in unit 71 and they were wonderful. 71 seemed more rugged but nice chunk public land without private issues. I have 17 points and will hunt colorado one more time. I have hunted 3 times and have only caught a few glimpses of elk on public. I played with the two different Bulls that were on private and coming onto public often late at night this last time. I had great time with dad but looking at other states for future. Also think about that you are on far West side of state. It took us a day to get there from Denver, Cabelas stop and maps ect. Get national geographic and forget 7.5 usgs it didn't even have campground or road that everyone drives and hunts from on it, if hunting around little cone. Had phone access most places in 70. Not at campground. Dad had elk on last day last 2 min of season in front of him but to far for open sights. Pm me and I can give you more info.

This is an interesting description of your experiences elk hunting Colorado. Though Idaho elk also flee to safe havens on private property many don't have that option because there might not be any private property close to their home range. But they're still difficult to locate after they've been shot at and chased around. Many hunters who have never hunted Idaho before ask for recommendations for the best areas to hunt where they won't see other hunters but will see elk. Everyone wants their own private Idaho I guess. Becoming familiar with your hunting area and hunting the earliest part of the season, especially opening day, will transport you as close as you'll probably ever get to elk hunting heaven in the Gem State. All things considered it still isn't as crowded or over hunted as most western states but hunting conditions are becoming progressively worse each year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back