CO 2nd Season - How was it?

NC2CO

As 2nd Rifle wraps up in CO, I am curious to hear who hunted it and how it was? We're headed to the NW part of the state for a 3rd season hunt and the reports I am hearing so far are above average pressure from 6-8,000' along with less big game sightings than usual. Perhaps a result geographically based on warmer temps and winter kill.

I took my 8 year old boy up Friday to look for a buck in 25/26 (flattops). Never been in the area before, so we rode the ATV and did a lot of glassing. We found a nice draw with a sage brush clearing a mile or so up in it, so we parked and hiked in for the evening. On the way up the draw there were some very fresh lion tracks, which is always fun. No deer to be found through dark. The boy found bones, rocks, and dirt.... so he was having fun. :) Starting around 0200, some slow elk wandered into camp. Then the rain began, flattops weather at it's finest. For the next 6 hours, rain, rain, rain and mooo, mooo, mooo. We hung out in the tent all morning, practiced the Scout Oath, drank cocoa and coffee, and had a good time. I packed up camp and hauled to mail back to Fruitopia during a break in the weather. I have some foul weather gear for my son, but nothing substantial enough to go hunt all day in the rain with. It started raining again on the way out, and rained the whole way off the mountain. Glad I put new tires on the truck as the roads were typical western Colorado slick. Even though we never saw a deer, much less a buck, it was a great trip. Met a nice guy from Kentucky and a few folks from the front range, all having a good time as well.

I just got back from a second season hunt. It was my first time to the area and most elk sign and sightings were above 10500. I saw elk at tree line and in dark timber. Very little movement during the day and I only saw 2 elk on private land the whole trip. It was a great time and a successful trip but I didn't bring any meat home. I'm ready to try the area again next year with a little bit different approach and with a couple pieces of new gear. On the other hand I saw tons of mule deer from 7500 ft to 11000 ft, definitely could have harvested some very nice bucks had I had a tag. I also found more elk sheds on this trip than I have in my entire life and one was a very large 6x6 from this past spring that I hope makes it through another year.

I've talked with several hunters, ranchers and other LO's and this seems to be pretty consistent amongst all parties. I too have heard that the majority of the elk are still holding north of 10,000. I know a group of 6 that just wrapped up with their 2nd season hunt. They filled 4/6 elk tags and 1/6 deer tags. Just 10-15 miles from where they were hunting, I know of 4 more hunters that filled 4/4 deer tags and 0/4 elk tags. Nevertheless, we're hoping for cooler temps and a little snow during the third season.

On a side note - Mark's Jeep - I have found myself in more trouble in the mud than in the snow on multiple occasions. For the first time ever we're actually bringing chains for the trailer this trip.

Last edited:
Agree 110% on the mud. I hate mud. Chains are always in the truck and the jeep, good call chaining up your trailer. We've pulled camp at 0300 before to drive out trailers while the mud/road is frozen too.

depends who you talk to....

At the gas pumps yesterday, I chatted with two heavy breathers that had put over 350 miles on their ATV's in the last week and had yet to see an elk.

At Walmart there was a guy buying a 300 Win Mag because his 30-06 had wounded two elk and didn't have enough knock down power.

My experience....I had a bull, cow, and buck tags in my pocket and easily could have filled all three if time and temperature would have allowed for more allowance in pack out time....so I filled the bull tag and am happy with that.

Buy a new rifle because you don't know how to shoot.... I think I would of pinned down that sob for wounding two elk and take there tag away! People like that are a disgrace!

I was hunting between Vail and Glenwood Springs. Weather was beautiful for just about anything but elk hunting. Daytime temps were between 60-70 with the nightly lows around 32-40. We were camped at 10,000' and saw deer everyday, lots of does but a few bucks, we filled all three buck tags (i'll post a pic if I get a chance on the deer tab). There were elk in the area, we found them mostly in the dark timber between 8,000' and 10,000', to thick to get a shot so we didn't fill an elk tag this year. There was plenty of cougar sign in the area also, found tracks in the snow on the road (it snowed Wednesday before 2nd season opened) and I found what was left of a spike calf that looked like it had been killed by a cougar. There were plenty of elk in our area but I think because it was so warm they stayed in the dark timber most of the time. There were also half the hunters in our area as the last 2 years, which could have played a role in the elk movement or lack there of. Hopefully you have better luck and decent weather.

Thanks for all of the information. We'll have a day to scout before season and may end up making some tweaks to the game plan.

This was my 6th year out in the 2nd season and it was the toughest I have ever seen. Hunted all 9 days and saw elk one day.(3 cows) deer are ever where. We hunted from 8500 to 11500. It completely wore me out this year. Was hunting in the 47 unit. Maybe looking to go else where next year. Will post more when I get home and on the computer. Hope the weather changes for the 3rd season.

For various reasons ,I have never had good hunting in the 2nd elk season in Colorado.Muzzleloader and 1st rifle season has always been better.

1St season was no picnic. I talked with a warden and Ranger both had checked 70-80 camps and the report I got was 6 cows and 2 bulls. My plan A generally has three or four guys in the area on Thursday there were 65 people that I counted going up as we were going down. Changed to plan B and had 18 camps in 1/8 of a mile. This was a draw unit that use to take 1-2 points but everybody I had talked to had been getting drawn every year.

We hunted 71 around lizard head 2nd season. Was warm and not good. Talked to over a dozen camps and only heard of one cow being killed around us.

Lots of deer where we were,ended up 4 for 4 on them. Most of the elk were located down in the oak brush in the area we hunted. Found 1 elk in the dark timber. Very little sign up high fresh of old. There were 5 bulls and a couple of cows taken where we were hunting all down low.

I hunted 2nd season and had a pretty good hunt. Saw around 50 Elk, some nice bulls. But like everyone else was saying, it was pretty hot. Ended up getting me a decent bull and was all in all successful hunt!!

IMG_0714.jpgIMG_0715.jpgIMG_0723.jpg

Last edited:
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back