Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Clothing Advice ... CO Elk Trip

oldillini

Okay, hunting in the western states is new to me. I have hooked up with a group of 4 heading to NW CO in mid-October 2015 during 1st rifle season for elk. Plans are to be at 9,000+ elevation. Really don't know what to expect. Just know that my gear meant for sitting hours on end with minimal walking will not be best trying to get that whitetail.

I realize layering is best and I think I have the base layer down with a Minus33 wool base. But from there it seems almost overwhelming. So many options ... Sitka, First Lite, Core4Element, etc.

What would you expect the weather to be in mid-October? What's the worse should I plan for? What about potential for rain?

I am no cold weather weenie, but then again I am in my late 50s and don't handle it as well as I used to, especially if not moving. Also, the budget is not sparse but it definitely is not unlimited.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

well, you are on the right track, layers, layers, layers. Main reason is my next few sentences. Typical weather for first season - Hot and dry with some snow and rain. Colorado will fit that all into the 5 day season, and most likely into one day.

If I had to lay a bet, it would be on hot and dry days, cold frosty mornings. It varies so much though that I would never lay that bet.

I always tell my buddies to pack for weather between 80 and 0 degrees, with rain/snow gear. If we are packing in, I get the latest weather report as close (time wise) to the trailhead and cherry pick my gear from there. But you really have to have it all if your a week out and packing

There are infinite options and different opinions. Couple of thoughts:

-Don't limit yourself to "hunting" brands. After Christmas there will be screaming deals on backpacking/hiking gear online at Campsaver Outlet, Backcountry, Patagonia web specials page, etc. Mammut, Arc'teryx, Marmot, Rab, Westcomb, are generally more proven and offer more technical options for living in the mountains than "hunting" specific outerwear. That's pretty specific to the model and exact fabric used though (i.e. Polartec Powershield, Nextec Epic, Neoshell, Pertex Equilibrium, etc.)...

-I generally prefer layers that dry quickly and breathe well (as opposed to low end waterproof/"breathables"). Not everybody does. A rain/wind shell jacket is worthwhile, but for me rain paints are rarely worth the reduced breathability and added hassle.

-Depending on how you hunt, having a down or synthetic puffy belay jacket to toss on when sitting between hikes or glassing can be a good tactic.

It's pretty tough to go in without having hiked and backpacked a bunch, because a lot of it is preference. I've pushed all my gear to the limit so I know what I prefer, when, and why. The Cold Thistle blog has a lot of good outerwear ideas, as does Backpacking Light and Cascade Climbers.

Don't overthink it though--the prep can be fun and I'm sure you'll have a blast!

Last edited by a moderator:

-Don't limit yourself to "hunting" brands. After Christmas there will be screaming deals on backpacking/hiking gear online at Campsaver Outlet, Backcountry, Patagonia web specials page, etc. Mammut, Arc'teryx, Marmot, Rab, Westcomb, are generally more proven and offer more technical options for living in the mountains than "hunting" specific outerwear. That's pretty specific to the model and exact fabric used though (i.e. Polartec Powershield, Nextec Epic, Neoshell, Pertex Equilibrium, etc.)...

-I generally prefer layers that dry quickly and breathe well (as opposed to low end waterproof/"breathables"). Not everybody does. A rain/wind shell jacket is worthwhile, but for me rain paints are rarely worth the reduced breathability and added hassle.

-Depending on how you hunt, having a down or synthetic puffy belay jacket to toss on when sitting between hikes or glassing can be a good tactic.

It's pretty tough to go in without having hiked and backpacked a bunch, because a lot of it is preference. I've pushed all my gear to the limit so I know what I prefer, when, and why. The Cold Thistle blog has a lot of good outerwear ideas, as does Backpacking Light and Cascade Climbers.

Don't overthink it though--the prep can be fun and I'm sure you'll have a blast!

+1 on not limiting yourself to just "hunting clothes". I use a mix of Sitka/Patagonia/Outdoor research/Duluth Tradining Company/etc. One of my favorite pieces of clothing is my Nanopuff jacket from Patagonia.

I would also reccomend a good pair of gaitors, and if you are going to prioritize your spending, put it in boots. A good pair of "mountain" boots will make your trip way more enjoyable. I could not believe the difference when I switched from my Danner Pronghorns, to a boot meant for the terrain. Try on as many as you can, and find the pair that fits you best. Kenetrek, Lowa, Meindl, Crispi; all good brands, and your feet will thank you.

I would also reccomend a good pair of gaitors, and if you are going to prioritize your spending, put it in boots. A good pair of "mountain" boots will make your trip way more enjoyable. I could not believe the difference when I switched from my Danner Pronghorns, to a boot meant for the terrain. Try on as many as you can, and find the pair that fits you best. Kenetrek, Lowa, Meindl, Crispi; all good brands, and your feet will thank you.[/QUOTE]

^^^ This!
There has been some great deals on shoebuy.com recently.

This!!

Though my clothes aren't super technical, because I'm too cheap and too fat for the 'good stuff', it has worked. Here's roughly what I would pack for a trip that time of year:
-base layer (which you have covered)
-pants; either Cabelas Microtex or some brand of peached nylon hiking/fishing pants
-overshirt; same material preference as with the pants
-fleece pant & shirt; I use mine as sort of a second, heavier base layer. I use Patagonia R5. It's a thinnish gridded fleece. I use the shirt WAY more than the pants.
-rain jacket & pants; mine are relatively cheap, but work. Two things that are musts for me with these pieces are full length leg zips on the pants and pit zips on the jacket. The pants are Red Ledge and the jacket is basic rain shell from REI.
-Two pair of synthetic liner socks
-Two pair of wool hiking weight socks
-waxed leather gloves
-windstopper fleece beanie
-Outdoor research gaitors
-fleece neck gaitor
-Patagonia puffball vest.
-2 synthetic t-shirts

With this I can layer as needed and cover just about everything down to pretty darn cold. Synthetics and wool are your friend, cotton is not. I'd also worry more about your boots than any all the clothes you can buy/pack. IMO, the 3 things to spend money on first are boots, pack, optics and in that order. Good luck and let us know how the planning goes.

Where abouts in western IN do you call home? I currently live in the mess around Indy, but have property near Patoka Lake, went to college in Crawfordsville, and was born/raised just north of Evansville.

One other rule that I think is important. "COTTON KILLS". Avoid cotton whenever possible, especially in your base layers/skivies/socks. I think wool is the best, but you can find cheaper synthetic stuff. While the synthtic is smelly, will keep you alive much better than cotton, if things go bad.

Thanks for all the responses. Still a lot to consider.

Cotton is going to stay home unless it's what I wear on way out & back.

Finding right boot will be challenge. Don't have a good store within 3+ hrs drive. Looks like a long day trip to see options other than Danner, etc. at Gander.

Maybe catch some sale items in next couple months.

Don't be afraid to order boots to try on at home. Many companies/sites have free or quite reasonably priced return policies. Shipping a few back would probably be cheaper than a 3+ hour drive.

I'm betting you could cut pretty close to the chase by contacting these guys:
http://www.lathropandsons.com
Their full process is expensive and one I've not used. But I have ordered boots and footbeds from they and they were very helpful in getting a good fit. I'm betting a phone call to them might get you off on the right foot... ;)

I like my Minus 33 wool base layer, good choice. I also believe in a wind proof layer. My go to jacket for the past several years is a Cabela's Windshear Fleece jacket. Light enough to be easily packable on the outside of my day pack. When I reach my destination on the hike in, I put it on before I have a chance to chill. Packable, breathable raingear is also a must. Hunting is usually not worth the risk and effort during a blizzard or a downpour, but having something to keep you fairly dry when a short squall comes through is worth the weight in my backpack. Cabela's Microtex or Microtex Light is a great choice for camo. As good a wool camo for less money and more durable. It's synthetic, drys quickly and is the right weight for warm days alone (50's - 60's) or over a merino wool base layer when its cooler. The best socks I have found are Redhead Lifetime Wool from Bass Pro. The only sock you will need in a good boot. The pile on the inside of the sock wicks away moisture and conforms to the voids between your foot and boot making a perfect fit. I've tried many different sock "systems" and the Redheads just flat work. I have not had a single blister in the past 12 years I have been using them and still wear some of those 12 year old socks. Every person I have recommended the Redhead socks to when they were having blister problems, has switched to them exclusively. I also wear some scent proof pants if I know I'll be hunting in cold weather all day. The scent proof layer is windproof and traps air next to your base layer. My choice of boot is Meindl, but there are plenty of good boots from which to choose. I think Meindl is the best choice for price/performance. I can't recall anyone ever saying Meindls did not fit their foot. I had heard many complaints about more expensive boots that required long break in or would always cause blisters regardless of sock "systems". My choice for gaiters is Outdoor Research. The only other brand I have used is Kenetrek and I prefer the OR's. You won't be sorry if you have a set of gaiters if there is snow that sticks or its raining and wet. I also bring along a down parka if there is a potential for really cold weather like highs in the 20's, but it rarely comes out.

Short version, Minus 33 base layer, Microtex camo, Windshear outer layer, breathable raingear over all, Redhead wool socks in good boots with OR gaiters.

Don't be afraid to order boots to try on at home. Many companies/sites have free or quite reasonably priced return policies. Shipping a few back would probably be cheaper than a 3+ hour drive.

I'm betting you could cut pretty close to the chase by contacting these guys:
http://www.lathropandsons.com
Their full process is expensive and one I've not used. But I have ordered boots and footbeds from they and they were very helpful in getting a good fit. I'm betting a phone call to them might get you off on the right foot... ;)

Thanks, 1_pointer. I had seen the Lathrop name before, but until looking at their site I had not realized they are out of town that I work in. Definitely need to get in touch with them. When at work I am less than 2 miles from their "office".

You were asking what area of western Indiana, I live in Sullivan Co.

Thanks, 1_pointer. I had seen the Lathrop name before, but until looking at their site I had not realized they are out of town that I work in. Definitely need to get in touch with them. When at work I am less than 2 miles from their "office".

You were asking what area of western Indiana, I live in Sullivan Co.
Good deal! Since you are that close, I'd definitely give them a call.

Good to see another Hoosier around these parts...

Most here have really hit the nail on the head. For my .02, I would say that I really like vests for that time of year. They generally keep you plenty warm but without the bulk and restriction of a jacket. Invest in a good vest that you like to wear. Secondly, I have tried all the socks (or at least most of them). I keep coming back to Smartwool as my sock of choice.

Lastly, neck gaiter and beanie vs light facemask vs other combos.....I am picky about my headwear and neckwear. Make sure you try what you are going to wear before you go for a good long hike. I bought what I thought was going to be fantastic and it turned out after about an hour I hated it.

Above all, enjoy the preparation! This is part of your hunt!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back