cartridge of choice.

Just a heads up. I tend to be quite opinionated. These are my opinions only.

Begin Rant

I have not opened up a critter shot with a 130SST, but a few years ago I did run into a really odd situation with a Mule Deer and a 150SST out of a .300WSM. The deer was shot initially at approx 40yds. Placement was on the back of the shoulder from broadside. The bullet completely fragged on the skin. We could not find a shard of bullet that penetrated the rib cage, it also did not deflate the lungs or perforate the pleural cavity. We tracked that deer between 400-500yds. The second shot was placed on the skull between the ear and the eye. It killed the deer, but would not even penetrate through the skull. Shot distance was within 10yds. Impact velocities on both impacts would have been in excess of 3150fps. I have no qualms with SST's at impact velocities below 2850-2900fps. For me, Its not JUST SST's, I have seen similar results with Nosler Ballistic Tips and Speer Hot Cor's. I have no qualms about bonded slugs for impacts up to 3100-3200fps. I know of similar experiences from close friends with bonded bullets fragging at impacts beyond 3150.

understood, this is my opinion also, I love having a complete conversation like this with another individual without them getting all mad... this is great.....

I see, you must have been using factory loads? we load our SST's, the factory loads are faster than what we reload, we actually use less powder than the factory loads, our bullets go slower, I think in the 130 gr. they go about 3200 fps, we estimate ours go 2900 - 3000 fps, 2 grains less powder I believe, I think the 150 gr. 300 win mag is going quite a bit faster, so I can see how you had problems with penetration at close range, I bet you would love them if you loaded them too 3000 fps in the 150 gr., great conversation,
Matt

I currently have two rifles. My go to gun is a 257 Weatherby. It is the perfect lope and deer gun. I have even used it to take a 350 class bull ( a one shot kill). I did feel under gunned for elk so I recently aquired (via a new custom barrel) a 300 WSM for elk. I am going through a few medical issues right now and that will be the gun for a bucket list Alaskan moose hunt next year. My 257 shoots a 110 accubonds at 3500 fps and the 300 WSM shoots a 175 barnes LRX at 3100 fps. I think I am covered for just about anything.

Just a heads up. I tend to be quite opinionated. These are my opinions only.

Begin Rant

I have not opened up a critter shot with a 130SST, but a few years ago I did run into a really odd situation with a Mule Deer and a 150SST out of a .300WSM. The deer was shot initially at approx 40yds. Placement was on the back of the shoulder from broadside. The bullet completely fragged on the skin. We could not find a shard of bullet that penetrated the rib cage, it also did not deflate the lungs or perforate the pleural cavity. We tracked that deer between 400-500yds. The second shot was placed on the skull between the ear and the eye. It killed the deer, but would not even penetrate through the skull. Shot distance was within 10yds. Impact velocities on both impacts would have been in excess of 3150fps. I have no qualms with SST's at impact velocities below 2850-2900fps. For me, Its not JUST SST's, I have seen similar results with Nosler Ballistic Tips and Speer Hot Cor's. I have no qualms about bonded slugs for impacts up to 3100-3200fps. I know of similar experiences from close friends with bonded bullets fragging at impacts beyond 3150.

As far a penetration goes, from memory its about 32" from hide to hide across the chest of a Bull Elk. From what I remember its about 7" from the hide to the ribs through the shoulder, 1.5-2" of ribs on each side plus the pleural cavity(about 14" at the shoulders). My goal is for the slug to Exit the pleural cavity. That is at bare minimum 18" past the shoulder, assuming a full broadside shot. Total of 23" of penetration to the far side of the pleural cavity. I prefer having an exit wound, but it's not necessary.

The reason that I shoot bonded bullets is: They upset less over the first 4-6" and dump the energy further in to the animal than a Ballistic tip or an SST. I have not seen any difficulties with penciling through deer or antelope personally with Bonded slugs. I know there are stories out there like that. Minimum expansion velocity is Higher with a Bonded slug. Typically 1800-2000fps vs 1500-1600 for unbonded. They hold together better, and that will lead to deeper penetration, and for my taste; I would rather overpenetrate and exit the animal, that underpenetrate and not carry sufficient energy to the vitals.

The long and the short of it is, there is no perfect bullet. I tend to swing to the larger heavier bonded slugs; consider it an insurance policy to have the extra weight, and extra penetration.

End Rant

Well put. Bottom line is to shoot what you want, but I would not trust an elk hunt to a weak bullet. I loaded SSTs for a model 600 .308. The velocity was only around 2600 fps. Two small white-tailed does were shot and that bullet dynamited on both of them with little penetration. This was at just over 100 yards. A Hornady Interlock will perform better than an SST. I suppose the SST would be OK at extended range, but why go on a hunt knowing that the bullet will only perform well at long distance?

There are too many really good bullets out there to shoot weak bullets at elk.

I have used the .270 for alot of years earlier, but have since graduated to others. Not anything to do with the cartridge itsself, but mosly because I got caught up in the magnum craze back in the early '90's... Now, I'm getting out of the magnum craze, because with advent of some of these newer calibers, a hunter just doesn't need a magnum. For years, I depended on my trusty .300 Win for everything. Now, I've been using the 6.5x284 for everything from coyotes to elk and let me tell ya, those 6.5's penetrate like nobody's business; as well as ANY magnum for sure. As for bullets, I shoot the Hornady A-Max's, and again on everything from coyotes to elk, I've never had a problem with them. They work as good as any Sierra Game King I've ever used, and to me dead is dead... They penetrate about 5-6" and turn into a bomb inside the animal on elk sized game out to 100 yds or so, but once they slow down a little they in most cases, exit the offside leaving a hole about the size of a 50 cent piece... If I have any doubts about any type of shot angle, I just shoot em in the head/neck, right under the jaw... (Provided they're inside of 400 yds) Things stop working in a hurry then. LOL!!

I shot my elk this year at about 70 yds with my .300 RUM loaded with 208gr A-Max's leaving the muzzle at 3100 fps. That bullet did just what I expected of it. It killed that bull stone dead. and when I opened him up he was just full of jello... I shoot 180gr SST's in my .308 Win @ 2630 fps, and it knocks the bejesus out of everything I shoot, regardless of range,,,I use heavy for caliber bullets in most of my rifles, so that helps too. Bullet choice is yours, and yours only. Use what you're comfortable with, and go hunting. I'm of the thinking that if you "believe" you're going to have problems, then you're going to encounter every problem possible that comes down the pike. I take to the field with the vision of bringing home some meat, and once I have a good accurate load for my rifle(s), that my only intention...

Whatever you decide, good luck... And we want to see some pics ...

Last edited:
I have taken over 50 elk in my hunting lifetime, I have used several rifles and muzzleloaders, they are 308, 30-06, 300 win mag and 2 different 50 cal muzzleloaders, of the elk that were taken, the rifle that I think did the best job and put the elk on the ground the quickest was the 300, no tracking, elk laying right were they were, just my opinion

I see, you must have been using factory loads? we load our SST's, the factory loads are faster than what we reload, we actually use less powder than the factory loads, our bullets go slower, I think in the 130 gr. they go about 3200 fps, we estimate ours go 2900 - 3000 fps, 2 grains less powder I believe, I think the 150 gr. 300 win mag is going quite a bit faster, so I can see how you had problems with penetration at close range, I bet you would love them if you loaded them too 3000 fps in the 150 gr., great conversation,
Matt

They were handloads a friend put together for his rifle. He is one of those guys who thinks if it can shoot faster, why not shoot faster? I haven't hunted with him since I moved from Bozeman last year, but from What I heard... he switched to a 180 Interbond for that rifle.

I Might like the 150's, but I'm a heavy bullet guy... I'm looking at rechambering my .325WSM down to .300WSM and running 200-210's. Possibly something like the Nosler 210gr LRAB or a 208A-Max I'd rather shoot heavier High BC stuff.

They were handloads a friend put together for his rifle. He is one of those guys who thinks if it can shoot faster, why not shoot faster? I haven't hunted with him since I moved from Bozeman last year, but from What I heard... he switched to a 180 Interbond for that rifle.

I Might like the 150's, but I'm a heavy bullet guy... I'm looking at rechambering my .325WSM down to .300WSM and running 200-210's. Possibly something like the Nosler 210gr LRAB or a 208A-Max I'd rather shoot heavier High BC stuff.

with rifle loads anyway faster is definitely not better at least with the SST's, stick with what your confident with.... I will do the same, but if I do switch and try the 150 SST's at a lower fps in my .270 I will post my findings, nothing wrong with going heavier,
Matt

This is a great topic and pertains to me as I will be taking a .270 elk hunting next fall and have been wondering what would be the best factory ammo. I have taken many deer and antelope in the past with this rifle and feel very comfortable shooting it. I have always used federal ammunition, 130 gr noslers for the most part. I was thinking of shooting 140 gr trophy bonded tip or 130 gr trophy copper? I really can't decide and don't know what would be the best. Thanks for the info so far.

there will be infinite details on each and every shot that kills an elk or whatever ..... a mere 1/2" can mean the difference between a fragmented bullet or a DRT shot - I shoot the common old 7mm Rem Mag and have a good load worked up using 140 Accubonds, it kills elk at 200 yards, it kills elk at 70 yards and it has killed one elk at 504 yards AND I have quite a collection of recovered bullets that performed as advertised - Now, lets move to my son's 270 WSM which I this year built a very accurate load for using 150 Berger VLD hunting bullets - It shoots absolutely lights out and I wanted to see how it works on elk - One shot at 300+ and one dead elk BUT the front shoulder and blood shot ribcage on BOTH sides and penetration damage in all directions tells me that although it killed the elk it also was the messiest thing I've cleaned up to date, his 270 WSM will next year be sending 140 Accubonds downrange, why not 130 AB's you ask ? my other son killed his elk with 130 Accubonds from his 270 WSM and that mess was not a whole lot better than the Berger, his gun gets a new 140 AB load as well -

On the topic of Jack O'Connor, his written statement upon killing a trophy Idaho bull in regard to the 7mm Rem Mag and 150 grains was "if ever there was a perfect combination for elk this would be it" - He downgraded from his favorite 30.06's to .270 because of developing sensitivity to recoil but always conceded that the "06" was a better choice

I personally shoot .270 or .300 wetherby. Obivously .300 really gets the job done! But the .270 shoots so flat is a great gun but I've had to shoot all my elk twice with the .270 and the .300 is a one hitter quitter. For deer the .270 is prime but like I said just cause I shot my elk twice with it doesn't mean it didn't do the job its all about shot placement and I get "buck fever" haha

Give me a .270 and some Barnes TSX handloads and I'll take on any elk that ever walked.

I shot my first bull elk two weeks ago I used .338 wm with a 225 Barnes tsx I hit him at 625 yards. Most of the smaller calibers dont reach out that far with energy to knock down a bull elk. It wasn't an ideal range but it was a late season rifle tag and i have practiced all summer out to 700 yards so it was ethical in my opinion.

If the .338 is your personal favorite, then by all means USE IT. (That's what I use)

If I woke up tomorrow and all my rifles were gone, and I could pick just ONE new one for all big game hunting, it would be some version of a .300 mag.

I'm a budget "do all" average joe hunter type. 30-06 every time, all the time.
180 Fed Premium Nosler partition 180 gr.

I finished my deer season this year with the 270 with the sst. Both me and my brother in law used the 270 with the sst. worked great at 40 yards and 300 yards but i for next season im switching to the nosler partition for elk.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back