Caribou Gear

cartridge of choice.

stopp429

Hey guys i want to get some input on your hunting rifle caliber. Right now i have a 243win, 270 win, 300 win mag and my personal favorite my ruger m77(1982) in 338 win mag. I am trying to decide on one rifle for deer, bear and elk what do you guys think i should go with. I keep hearing horror stories about elk taking some serious lead and keep going. Thanks.:)

haha you just opened a can of worms. those are all solid calibers. i don't know of anything you couldn't kill with that 300

I can shoot the 270 and 338 ok. I can get 3/4 inch groups with both. My 300 has never really been a shooter. I love how light the 270 is but im afraid of the lack of power for elk or at least i was told that.

I can shoot the 270 and 338 ok. I can get 3/4 inch groups with both. My 300 has never really been a shooter. I love how light the 270 is but im afraid of the lack of power for elk or at least i was told that.

A 270 will kill elk all day long, don't ever let anybody tell you any different. Use a quality bonded bullet and limit your shots to less than 400 yards.

Of the calibers you mentioned the 300 is my favorite, with the 270 a close second. If you check the ballistics you will see that the 300 outperforms the 338 after 250 yards or so.

Out of the bunch my .300 is my shooter, although I would rather it be my .270. Getting too old because the .300 kicks me back to yesterday. Push come to shove is my go-to just because I can count on it. And it you aren't shooting at paper you NEVER feel the the recoil.

I like the 270 its the most accurate factory rifle I have ever bought. Its a ruger american with a nikon on top. With hornady superformace 140 sst ammo its one hole groups at 100 yards. Last year I took 7 deer with this and it worked great. Has anybody had experience with the sst on elk?

I've killed a couple handfuls of elk with a .270. Don't do anything foolish and it will work fine.

If you shoot your 270 with the most confidence, then that is the gun I would recommend for any big game animal up to elk inside of 350 yards. I have been tipping over elk with a 270 win, most seasons, for the last 20 years and it has worked well for me. My personal limit is 300 yards, but if you feel comfortable shooting a bit longer than that I am sure the 270 would do the job just fine on a broadside bull. Both Nosler Partitions and Accubonds have worked well for me.

What happens at 351 yards?

I would chose the 243 and use a good solid bullet like a Sierra Game King. I used to use 85gr Sierra Varmint Hunters, but found the penetration lacking, it really made dramatic kills though. I switch to 75gr V-Max and only took head shots, but that was too risky so I finally went to a better bullet. Killed quite a few elk, some antelope, a bunch of deer and a brown bear with it. A 270 would be a cannon IMO.

I like the 270 its the most accurate factory rifle I have ever bought. Its a ruger american with a nikon on top. With hornady superformace 140 sst ammo its one hole groups at 100 yards. Last year I took 7 deer with this and it worked great. Has anybody had experience with the sst on elk?

No SSTs on elk. At least, I wouldn't risk it with the reports I've heard.

Nosler Partitions and Accubonds are reliable bullets for killing elk. And the Accubonds should shoot nearly as well if not better than the SSTs.

Which ever you're the most comfortable with. They all will do the job, with shot placement don't care which caliber, shot placement is the key along with practice and you being comfortable with it.

I think i am just going to stick with the 270 for now unless i am in some nasty bear country then i think the 338 will go.

SST bullets are OK for deer, but I would not take a marginal bullet on an elk hunt. They are very frangible bullets. I would not risk an expensive elk hunt on a bullet that may not perform on the animal. Stay with a premium.

I don't personally even like them on deer.

Any of the riles you mentioned will do well all-around except the .243. Having those other rifles and taking a .243 after elk is irresponsible.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back