Carolina Griswold visited the West (SD, WY, CO) (Thanks to all of you for your ideas!!)

WNC2500

Thank you to each one of you for your feedback on things to do in SD, and WY. The wife and I put 4320 miles on the truck, with 12 states, and four national parks under our belt. I truly took to heart what each of you recommended and there were some beautiful sights and experiences. The wife and I visited the Badlands, Wall Drug, Deadwood and Lead on the first day. Day two was the drive from Deadwood to Cody which took us through Buffalo, then across the Bighorns on Highway 16. That was the most beautiful part of the visit in my opinion. I saw elk, and mule deer in velvet as well as the beautiful scenery changes along the way. Day three were visits in Cody to some local sights as well as the drive up South Fork Road and beautiful views of water, and mountains. Day four found us getting up at 4am to get into Yellowstone at sunrise. Wow. There were sightings of porcupines, buffalo, tons of elk, as well as a bear that somewhat stopped traffic. Old Faithful, Old Faithful Inn, Grand Prismatic Spring, as well as the other pools were beautiful They were busy, but worth the slowness due to people traffic. Next was Grand Tetons, with lots of views of the mountains, antelope, buffalo, and elk. We then drove across the state of WY through Dubois, Lander, and then hit the highway which took us toward Cheyenne, and then down into Ft Collins. The number of antelope I saw was crazy!! We spent the night in Ft Collins, and woke up early to get into Rocky Mountain National Park early for day five. As we came out of Ft Collins, through Loveland, then a dam, and we drove through where there is a significant canyon and saw a bunch of bighorn sheep. I was driving safely, but still spotted close to 20 sheep. It was so beautiful to see them on the cliffs, as well as grazing on some of the available grasses. Then it was through Estes Park, and into Rocky Mountain National Park. 11,770 elevation was beautiful and capped off the end of our trip before we made our way back across the country. We are now, safely home, and back in our much smaller mountains of North Carolina.
No Ferrari's or supermodels were seen along the way, but I know for a fact that my wife now has a love for the west that I have had since hunting in MT over the last four years.
Thanks again to each one of you that shared spots to visit, restaurants, highways, etc. I plan to return the favor.

Maybe you'll get to move out here at some point :cool:

John: That would be amazing. My wife and I visited 12 states along the drive. Spent a good bit of time in Wyoming this week. She told me hands down, WY was her favorite. She got to see me all riled up with seeing different big game species. She even started picking out the speed goats as we were flying down the highway. I do love WY and MT. Two amazing hunting rich states.

Wow, I think you hit every location suggested! That's the way to do it!
Being from NC too, I have had folks ask, why do you keep going to the Rockies when we have mountains here? Stating, "mountains are mountains"! My reply, no comparison!

Genesis273: I totally agree. I love to go to Burnsville, or Mt Mitchell, but wow, driving 12,000 feet of elevation in RMNP was pretty amazing. The truck did great, and the wife and I were blown away by the beauty of all of the parks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back