Caribou Gear

Canceled weekend...Bearing Edition

ROUND 2 Bearing Edition. Today we're replacing one under the 50k miles warranty (just over 6500 miles on the new ones)

In the frigid temps we had last month, I lost cruise, ABS, traction control, and park brake. Ford in Butte refused to help claiming a 4-6 week diagnosis appointment and possibly 2 weeks to fix the issue. Ford is quickly losing ground due to terrible support (as a previous GM guy I'm considering them when I decide to get a fuel economy car).

Got a FORscan to dive into the truck's computer. I fought with error codes and tracing what I perceived as an electrical problem to the ABS/Wheel Speed sensor. NAPA sent me a replacement ABS sensor. Replaced the sensor but no go and I got more codes (lost power steering and go wonky speeds) so back to NAPA. They ordered me a replacement wheel hub but said delivery date is TBS...right supply chain issues :rolleyes:

Not to be without a vehicle I had to do something. Luckily when I replaced both front wheel hubs in October and saved the "good one" for some reason. I replaced the faulty hub with the old used one and all errors went away. Got back from Boise yesterday with a message that my replacement wheel hub has arrived. Fun part is that now I've replaced the wheel hub multiple times I have it figured out. With a basic tool set, torque wrench and a beer I should be done in 30 minutes. I'm so over it
Ya ya ya, that’s all great and all, but how was the trip to Boise? We’re expecting a full write up, ASAP.

ROUND 2 Bearing Edition. Today we're replacing one under the 50k miles warranty (just over 6500 miles on the new ones)

In the frigid temps we had last month, I lost cruise, ABS, traction control, and park brake. Ford in Butte refused to help claiming a 4-6 week diagnosis appointment and possibly 2 weeks to fix the issue. Ford is quickly losing ground due to terrible support (as a previous GM guy I'm considering them when I decide to get a fuel economy car).

Got a FORscan to dive into the truck's computer. I fought with error codes and tracing what I perceived as an electrical problem to the ABS/Wheel Speed sensor. NAPA sent me a replacement ABS sensor. Replaced the sensor but no go and I got more codes (lost power steering and go wonky speeds) so back to NAPA. They ordered me a replacement wheel hub but said delivery date is TBS...right supply chain issues :rolleyes:

Not to be without a vehicle I had to do something. Luckily when I replaced both front wheel hubs in October and saved the "good one" for some reason. I replaced the faulty hub with the old used one and all errors went away. Got back from Boise yesterday with a message that my replacement wheel hub has arrived. Fun part is that now I've replaced the wheel hub multiple times I have it figured out. With a basic tool set, torque wrench and a beer I should be done in 30 minutes. I'm so over it
My GMC 1500 AT4 6.2 gasser has been in the shop for two weeks for oil consumption...when the tech test drove last monday, it died. The phrase they used was 'engine seized' & they said they think they know what the problem is & finally gave me a loaner.

Warranty work has become low priority hit and miss. Have been dealing with the consumption issue since May.

They haven't touched it since Monday.

My GMC 1500 AT4 6.2 gasser has been in the shop for two weeks for oil consumption...when the tech test drove last monday, it died. The phrase they used was 'engine seized' & they said they think they know what the problem is & finally gave me a loaner.

Warranty work has become low priority hit and miss. Have been dealing with the consumption issue since May.

Feel your pain.

I agree the labor shouldn't be much harder than a brake job. Most guys can do it.
Although the oem hub/bearing is a much better part and worth the cost difference.
If you think about where that hub could leave you stranded and what trips it could ruin. Personally a warranty doesn't mean squat to me. I'd buy the best dam part available.
Just my $0.02
Sorry to hear @Mthuntr
I'm telling you I have done this a few times. Oem hubs are the only way to go.

My 2021 f250 gas has a loud intermitent knock. It has been making this sound since 1200mi.
I know it is piston slap.
The dealer has replaced the transmission and two torque converters. They refused to touch the engine.
Says they can't get one anyway. Keep driving until it blows. Unfortunately It probably won't for a few years. Knowing how warranty work is pushed off I am beyond frustrated.

My 2021 f250 gas has a loud intermitent knock. It has been making this sound since 1200mi.
I know it is piston slap.
The dealer has replaced the transmission and two torque converters. They refused to touch the engine.
Says they can't get one anyway. Keep driving until it blows. Unfortunately It probably won't for a few years. Knowing how warranty work is pushed off I am beyond frustrated.
The chit they've tried to explain away the severity has been comical. The truck was their sales manager's driver & the service writer asked where I'd had the oil changed...knowing I had extended and factory warranty, and a prepaid service contract.

The chit they've tried to explain away the severity has been comical. The truck was their sales manager's driver & the service writer asked where I'd had the oil changed...knowing I had extended and factory warranty, and a prepaid service contract.
As someone who has been on the other end of this stuff it usually works on people. At this point it has basically worked on me. I bought the truck to use it not shuttle it back and forth to the dealer. I am probably going to get an extended warranty even though it's worthless without dealer support.

Bearings went out in my daughter's car during gun deer season. Sitting in the woods and get the phone call. "Dad, my car's making weird noises." We weren't seeing any deer anyway, so I went home. Yup, it was making weird noises alright, the driver's side tire was toed out too. I ordered a new hub assembly from rock auto. Decided to replace the tie rod end and ball joint as well and bought those parts locally. Put it all together and the brand new ball joint was worse than the one I pulled out. Rust was a major problem and I had to use a 3' pipe as a breaker to get some things loose. Ended up having to drill out the cinch bolt on the passenger side ball joint. The whole job ended up being around $1200 because I had to replace front tires. Now, two months later, I still have a killer case of tennis elbow from working on that damned thing.

Well 1 year after replacement of the original hardware, I'm getting sensor alerts again. :mad: I can clear the code by unhooking the ABS wires from the drivers side wheel hub but it's only temporary.

Calling Ford in the morning to see if the OEM parts are available.

Well 1 year after replacement of the original hardware, I'm getting sensor alerts again. :mad: I can clear the code by unhooking the ABS wires from the drivers side wheel hub but it's only temporary.

Calling Ford in the morning to see if the OEM parts are available.
Try to get them online from a ford factory parts direct dealer.

Ive bought ford parts from levitown parts online. Ford parts but a little cheaper than your local dealer.

Also use fairway ford

and Tasca parts for oem parts

See above 😉
Yeah my POS '16 Taco spent a weekend a month at the dealership being fixed...issues with transmission shifting (or not), suspension, computer, radio, leaky moonroof. Also sitting in that thing physically hurt. In 2 years that thing cost me a lot of free time. Nothing like the fuel economy of a V8, sound of a V6, and power of a 4 cylinder. So far this Ford has been aftermarket parts causing the issue.

Yeah my POS '16 Taco spent a weekend a month at the dealership being fixed...issues with transmission shifting (or not), suspension, computer, radio, leaky moonroof. Also sitting in that thing physically hurt. In 2 years that thing cost me a lot of free time. Nothing like the fuel economy of a V8, sound of a V6, and power of a 4 cylinder. So far this Ford has been aftermarket parts causing the issue.
Fake news

I owned one for exactly 3 weeks. That thing was the biggest POS I’ve ever owned. I licensed it and sold that thing as fast as I could. You won’t catch me dead with another Tacoma.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back