Canceled weekend...Bearing Edition

MThuntr

Well so much for squeaking out a bit more archery hunting or chasing birds. These things have gotten pricey over the years. Ford wants near $400 each plus labor. YouTube thinks I can do both sides for less than $500. Wagers if it's wishful thinking 🙃

20221005_104613.jpg

Yeah no problem! You got this for $600 probably. Not sure what Ford you got, last time I worked on a Ford, I needed a special hub nut socket. That was a 1990 F-250 so probably not an issue, but if your mechanically inclined, you just saved yourself 50% at least. Fellow YouTuber, no way I'm paying that.... works every time 95% of the time.

Yeah no problem! You got this for $600 probably. Not sure what Ford you got, last time I worked on a Ford, I needed a special hub nut socket. That was a 1990 F-250 so probably not an issue, but if your mechanically inclined, you just saved yourself 50% at least. Fellow YouTuber, no way I'm paying that.... works every time 95% of the time.

Luckily the axle nut is a 15mm. Hubs were $250 each plus odds and ends. I have most of the tools and I needed a brake vacuum bleeder kit anyway. With a few miscellaneous pieces like dust cap and axle nut. That puts me right at $500 so far. NAPA had the best warranty of the parts I could get before the weekend. I saw 1AAuto has the pair of bearing hubs for about $250 but reviews of the brand are dismal at best. Ford parts were $400 each. One quote was just over $1k for the work. A couple friends have tools that I don't just in case we discover issues.

FORD- FIX IT AGAIN TONY!!!
To be fair in $75k miles this is the first issue and it sounds like I was due for it lol. I used to have a Tacoma that cost me hundreds in fuel and time to go to the stealership for warranty repair. About the only rig that didn't cost me a ton of $ was my 2000 GMC Sierra but like a week after selling it the fuel system quit.

I don’t know about ford but on a ram it’s a straight forward job.

Attachments

• 20081E3F-2BC9-4AA3-A4E3-9D804802FD22.jpeg
    20081E3F-2BC9-4AA3-A4E3-9D804802FD22.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
  • 17B8F9C8-7C45-406D-BDDC-79210CBEC192.jpeg
    17B8F9C8-7C45-406D-BDDC-79210CBEC192.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 38
Getting the nut off and being able to pry or pound on the hub to get it off is the only hard part of this job. If it comes off easy, you can do a wheel start (getting lugs off) to finish (putting lugs back on) in under 15 minutes. With that said, I had a front hub seized on so bad that it turned into a 3 hour job.

Getting the nut off and being able to pry or pound on the hub to get it off is the only hard part of this job. If it comes off easy, you can do a wheel start (getting lugs off) to finish (putting lugs back on) in under 15 minutes. With that said, I had a front hub seized on so bad that it turned into a 3 hour job.
This is what I'm banking on. Doing both sides so one is guaranteed to be stuck.

Did one on an 02 f150 a couple weeks ago. 160 bucks and 1.5 hours per side. Very straight forward.

I’d pull the wheels the night before and soak everything with penetrating oil.
Not a bad idea. I can do that. My fat butt should probably be walking/biking to work anyway.

Did one on an 02 f150 a couple weeks ago. 160 bucks and 1.5 hours per side. Very straight forward.
man I wish these were $150. For the 16-19' F150 these are around $300 each for the good brands. These are NAPA fleet which are warranted for 55k.

Should have kept your toyota...
I was at the repair shop over 90 miles away monthly with that thing...in 20 months I had to replace the electronics (something with a computer error they had to replace), transmission (shifting all the time, electronics again), suspension (squeak), radio (another electrical glitch), leaking moon roof, uncomfortable ride, terrible fuel mileage (never got better than 17 ever), and no room in the box for my monstrous raghorns finally got to me. I so wanted it to work but the Ford dealership gave nearly as much as I paid for it if I bought the a new F150

I was at the repair shop over 90 miles away monthly with that thing...in 20 months I had to replace the electronics (something with a computer error they had to replace), transmission (shifting all the time, electronics again), suspension (squeak), radio (another electrical glitch), leaking moon roof, uncomfortable ride, terrible fuel mileage (never got better than 17 ever), and no room in the box for my monstrous raghorns finally got to me. I so wanted it to work but the Ford dealership gave nearly as much as I paid for it if I bought the a new F150
That's likely the only Tacoma in the history of Tacomas to require anything aside from oil changes and breaks under 200k... The one non Toyota truck I've owned, an F150, was the biggest POS I've ever owned. At less than 100k miles the one year i had it i spent more on repairs than the dozen Toyotas combined that I've owned in my lifetime. ridiculous. Fix those damn bearings after work and go kill birds this weekend!

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kgentry
Back