Can you provide some basics

Ben_BlueOx

New to the forum, completely new to hunting. Thanks to “Shelter-in-place” and discovering fresh tracks on amazon, I then came across this forum.

I noticed in the show and posts on here there are a lot of discussions about tags, points, and apply for a draw.

Can anyone provide a 101 breakdown?Where do you go to apply for tags etc?

If you go to Randy’s YouTube channel he’s got breakdowns by state.

I have been hoping from video to video of his so far. My issue is everything is referenced that you know what it is.

right now I don’t even understand what a tag, draw, points etc even are? Do all animals require something?

Well you still have Idaho this year and Wyoming’s left over draw. Be sure to buy points in Wyoming before oct 31. Or is it 1st? I always forget. That’s why I buy them as early as possible.

The western tag scene is much like peeling an onion...it is complex and has many layers... and the deeper you get, the more you cry! :ROFLMAO:

Just kiddin about the crying part. Welcome to HT!
No he isn't kidding one bit true story.
I agree with the above statement. What state do you reside in now? That is where I would start if your really fresh. You have most states that require safety classes etc if you have never been licensed. Kinda like driver's ed for outdoorsman.

Well you still have Idaho this year and Wyoming’s left over draw. Be sure to buy points in Wyoming before oct 31. Or is it 1st? I always forget. That’s why I buy them as early as possible.

I believe Wyoming draw regular draw is still open.

Have you taken hunter's safety yet? It is typically offered by the state game agency (Illinois Dept of Natural Resources for you). That class will answer some of your questions and will probably be a prerequisite for applying out of state.

First thing to do would be complete your state's Hunter Safety class. Then acquire a firearm and start hunting locally, ideally with mentorship from someone nearby. Jumping straight into multi-state hunting across the continent is like trying to run before you can walk.

I have been hoping from video to video of his so far. My issue is everything is referenced that you know what it is.

right now I don’t even understand what a tag, draw, points etc even are? Do all animals require something?
Ok I see where you could get confused now, having never hunted. I think it would be smart to take the above advice and stick close to home just to get your feet wet. It doesn’t have to be a big game hunt either I don’t think. There’s a lot that could be learned hunting small game. If you’re dead set on coming west to hunt. South Dakota rifle deer application will be due in July I think and Wyoming antelope and deer are still open. But it might be smart to start with one animal in one state and build from there. Don’t overwhelm yourself, the shits suppose to be fun. Good luck, there’s a lot of good people here that can help with some more specific questions.

The unfortunate reality is that every state runs their program differently. Terms like “point”, “license”, “tag”, “application”, etc do not always mean the same thing from state to state. But here are some general concepts that are true in almost all states.

Each species in each state might require some combination of the following things to legally hunt: license, permit, stamp, tag, proof of a class taken (like bow safety ed).

These hunts can further be restricted by weapon type, season, daily bag limit, geographic area, and specifics of the animal itself such as sex, antler points, and other physical characteristics.

A state’s annual published hunting regulations will provide the info of what is required and what is available for the various hunts.

Most large game require a tag to hunt. This is usually a piece of paper that you buy and/or are issued by the state game agency that lets you hunt that particular animal, in a particular area, for a particular set of dates.

Some tags are unlimited in quantity and are available “over the counter” (OTC), which means you just go to the vendor and buy one in person or online.

Some tags are OTC but limited in quantity. Once the agency sells a predetermined number of them, no one else can buy one.

Other tags are not OTC and require an application. These are usually tags with a higher number of hunters who want the tag than there are animals that can be killed that year. In this case applicants enter a drawing lottery to get a tag “drawn” (like a lotto ticket), or the tags might instead be given to people who have been applying for many years and didn’t get one yet. The preference for this is purchased by getting a “point” which is essentially a way to pay to keep yourself at the front of the line to get a tag. This is what people are referring to when they say “I drew a CO mule deer tag with 3 points.” It means for three years they bought a place in line, then cashed in and got their tag finally drawn to hunt that year.

Real life example:
Let’s say I want to hunt turkeys in the southeast Iowa hunting zone, in November, as a resident. I need to have proof of a hunter safety card, an IA hunting license, a habitat stamp, and a tag. The last three are bought together online. But since the tag is limited quantity, I buy it the day it goes on sale, August 15th, so they don’t all sell out to other hunters. If I shoot the turkey in November, I “punch” (fill out) my tag, attach it to the dead animal, and my turkey hunting is over until I get another tag next year.

Most Midwest states offer OTC tags for whitetails, so the process isn’t too crazy. The tough part of hunting whitetail where you live is having access to a place where you can realistically shoot a deer. This process may involve leasing private land, or applying for a permit that allows a limited number of hunters access to a particular block of public land.

Most western big game hunting for nonresidents involves applying for a tag. There is a significant learning curve here, and I wouldn’t bother to try and understand it all now. Eventually you’ll get an idea of a species you want to hunt. Pick a weapon type and a state, then learn how to get a tag for that hunt. At that point, it might be helpful to post again with the idea you have, and other members might have a suggestion of something similar to do, application deadlines to be aware of, etc.

Some good information. Hunt locally this year. Antelope is fun in any state you can draw. Next year, with a year on the forum and these experts, it will be far easier.

You are 30 to 60 days late for some states.

Welcome aboard and I hope you enjoy it

New to the forum, completely new to hunting. Thanks to “Shelter-in-place” and discovering fresh tracks on amazon, I then came across this forum.

I noticed in the show and posts on here there are a lot of discussions about tags, points, and apply for a draw.

Can anyone provide a 101 breakdown?Where do you go to apply for tags etc?
Honestly, if you are totally new to the community, you might best be served by trying to find (ask/beg) someone to mentor you locally. If you get past the hurdles of safety training, buying 1st licence, and obtaining a weapon of some type, experience can come on as fast as your desire and aptitude. Dont get discouraged by adversity, confusing regs, or individual attitudes. Its a journey, and life-defining fkr most of us. If you stick with it, you will make the best friends you ever had and probably one day be sheepishly embarrased by your first posts. But dont be. We have all been there and need new blood in the ranks. Good luck and enjoy and work hard and dont give up if this is something you want.

Some of this has been stated above, but to get to the very basics:

Each state manages wildlife populations within that state, other than there is federal oversight/regulations for migratory birds and endangered species. Each state has different laws and definitions regarding how they manage wildlife and hunting, these can be found by searching for that state's wildlife management agency (often called Department of Fish and Game, or Fish and Wildlife, but sometimes part of Natural Resources or Parks like Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks or Colorado Parks and Wildlife).

Typically you need hunter's education first. Then a hunting license. In many states a hunting license or small game license allows you to hunt things like rabbits, squirrels, racoons, maybe grouse, these usually do not require "tags". "Tags" usually refers to a paper document that is "tagged" to the carcass that indicates the hunter, species, and date killed, usually required for big game animals and in some places turkeys.

"Permits" usually refers to a document you carry with you that allows you to hunt a special area or species. For example, in Washington state, you can buy a deer "tag" over the counter, no limit on numbers anyone can buy one. But you can also pay extra to enter a drawing for a "special permit" for that tag that will allow that tag to be used for a different season or hunting area than everybody else's tag is good for. Some states you have to enter a drawing just to get the tag--most western states for elk. "Points" refers to every time you apply for a tag or permit and don't get it, you get (or buy for additional cost) a point that will make it easier to draw the next year. Some draws require 10 or more points to even have a chance. Every state does point systems differently.

For migratory birds such as ducks, geese, swans, mourning dove, etc. you need a migratory bird "stamp" which is just another type of permit, except it's a federal permit that doesn't require a drawing, you can just buy them.

Ben I was right where you are, I remember feeling like it was way to complex to ever understand. It probably is in its entirety, unless you form some more specific goals of the type of hunt that would be fun for you.

If I had to start all over knowing what I know now (which isn’t a ton), I would do these things in order:

1. Create an Excel spreadsheet- organization is key if you’re going to get into the points/application game. I don’t recommend skipping this step.

2. Narrow down the states I wanted to go hunting in/what for. Create a row for each state and species.

3. Determine what tag I hoped to get with my points, add that to the spreadsheet along with anticipated points required- this is really your end goal in this whole exercise. I use Top Rut a lot to see how many points are required for tags that are intriguing- some are pie-in-the- sky, some only take a handful, some only 1 or even none. Example: “it would be cool to hunt mule deer in the Henry Mountains in Utah“ =collecting points forever vs “it would be cool to hunt pronghorn somewhere in Wyoming” is a much shorter term goal. Be aware that just because something took 3 points last year, that doesn’t mean it won’t take more than that next year due to more people applying or less tags being offered- that’s referred to as “point creep.”

4. Add a link to each state’s specific website to purchase points in spreadsheet so you don’t have to figure it out every year. Keep your login/password and deadline date info there as well- this makes it far less of a pain in your ass. Add any relevant notes next to each state so you don’t forget important things you’ve learned along the way.

5. Long game- consume any info you can to continue to tweak your strategy, this is a hunting season in itself that lasts from December-June for me. Sounds daunting at first but after you get your feet under you, researching and playing the points game is sort of a perverse pleasure ($ not withstanding).

Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gauravsingh
Back