Yeti GOBOX Collection

Camping Elevations

plumber1969

Alright guys, need some input for myself and the wife. We are going to be in south central Colorado for the last week and a half of archery elk this year. 130 days out but who is counting. Being from Florida and coming from our low elevation, the question of camping is where we seem to be stuck right now. We have several spots identified on G.E. and they vary in elevation from 9000 feet to 10800 feet. Would we be best sleeping low and hiking uphill daily (we are road camping) or going higher and returning uphill nightly? Our biggest concern being any form of altitude sickness and we plan on taking it easy for the first day or so and take our time while sucking wind. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Stay hydrated and if possible, give yourselves a full day or two to get acclimated to the high country. Don't overdue it your first couple days of hunting. Get into the best shape of your life before the hunt.

As far as to what elevation to camp, I personally prefer to start high especially during archery. I would just plan on being mobile as you never know what the elk will be doing. Finding them is the first step. Good luck, you are going to have an awesome time!

You should be fine whatever you decide. I come from sea level every year and have camped as high as 12,000 ft. I have never gotten altitude sickness before. Stay hydrated. Taking it easy for a day or two will help. My personal preference is to make my climb in the morning and walk downhill back to camp every night, but I've done it both ways.

Have you experienced altitude before? Everyone seems to react a little differently. My friends and I were discussing our strategy for riding bikes at altitude after flying in from sea level and I know that I'm good the first 24 hours but usually crash hard the second day whereas some of my friends like a day to acclimate. Then there are the unfortunate people that get headaches and nausea regardless of hydration. I would usually break the issues down into dehydration related (everyone gets) and those that get headaches and nausea regardless because of altitude (only some people).

My experience last year in south central Colorado was that I would rather camp high and be able to roll out of bed to glass rather than get up early to climb in to glass. I have a bad habit of overestimating how many miles I can cover in the morning and not getting to where I wanted to glass in time.

No we have never experienced altitude previously and like you I would rather roll out up high and start hunting. That being said, we are very aware of the altitude issue and may have to camp lower and hike uphill daily and sleep down there nightly. We will be driving over so there won't be anything rushed in a sense. One stop in Amarillo for a nap and finish up the following morning because we didn't want to arrive in the middle of the night and try to set up camp. The plan is to use that first day as a rest day and the following as well with possibly some scouting that evening of the 2nd day.

I don't think there will be much difference in how your body reacts to camping at 9,000 ft vs 10,800 ft. My advice would be to camp as close to where you will be hunting as possible. What flatland said is true. Some people get altitude sickness and there is not much that can be done about it. The rest of us are usually alright if we stay hydrated and take our time to get acclimated. Hopefully you guys will be in the latter group.

Camping near a water source may or may not be an issue, depending on how much water you plan to bring with you. I drink very little water at home but in the mountains I drink a ton! Having the water bladder hose right there on my shoulder strap helps me drink a lot as I am walking. I do OK in the 8-9k range , but over that I can get altitude sickness. If you are nervous about it , and want to be proactive, talk with your doctor about getting a prescription for Acetazolamide, 125 mg, tablets. 2 tablets a day, start one day before you get to the mountains, and most importantly continue for 2 days after getting back to your normal altitude. I quit taking them one time after getting out of the mountains and not on the way home. I was super sick the next day! The only downfall of these pills for me is they make drinking anything carbonated taste like crap! which for me is a bad deal as I would love a cold beer 9or Pepsi) after a week in the mountains, but I can't do it.

Check out the "Wilderness Athlete" website. Get some Hydrate & Recover, and some Altitude Adjustment Pills. Both my wife and I use their products, and they really help. I live in New Orleans (sea level) and travel to Chama (7850 feet). The Ranch I hunt starts at about 8500 and it goes up from there. A Camelbak filled with Hydrate & Recover is my best friend on the hunt.

Assuming you are driving..that helps. Id plan on getting there early in the morning and set up camp that day and not plan on doing much else. Get a feel for how youll be with altitude. Drink water, and get in good shape.

I'm back to getting in shape. Had a horrible metatarsal issue that really put a 2 month damper on the training then just had surgery for a hard issue Friday. Legs and lungs were doing well until the foot issue and was up to 45 pounds in my pack 5 flat miles at a time. We only have sand and small hills over here. Going to look into the Wilderness Athlete supplements and try. Thanks for the ideas and input.

I lived in Flagstaff (7000ft elevation) for 40 years and when I hunted at 10,000 ft or more I felt it. I never got overt altitude sickness but still got a slight headache. I was at a FNAWS (WSF) convention and went to a seminar by an senior air force non-com (Peter Kummerfeld I believe) who supervised West Point cadets and
Annapolis midshipmen for summer high altitude training at over 10,000 ft. These guys and gals were in tip top shape and still got altitude sickness. The issue is a lowering of the pH level in the blood (becomes more acidic). He tried several drugs and preps and found the plain old Rolaids worked best to relieve the student's symptom's. He was and is right. Have one in your mouth as often as possible, just like candy mints. Other antacids didn't come close. Since then I always have some with me and guess what, no more headaches. It really works without side effects and no prescription needed. GJ

Your body is going to tell you which is acceptable. Some people could show up and camp at 10,800 feet and be fine. Some would crash and burn doing that. You won't know until you get there. Altitude seems to get me worse than a lot of folks. If I stepped off a plane in Denver and tried to sleep at 9000 feet (which I have done), I'd be uncomfortable and I'd probably not sleep at all. Even after several days of getting acclimated, I find it difficult to get good sleep at that kind of altitude. Chances are you won't have it that bad, but know that it's a possibility and have a scenario planned out where you sleep lower, even if it's just for a night or two. I'd stash away some Benadryl, or Tylenol PM too, just in case you are one of those who struggles to sleep up high. As everyone has said, stay well hydrated, skip the booze, etc. Whatever you feel on the first day or two, you'll probably feel a lot better soon. Have fun!

Living where i do there is nowhere to experience altitude, not even the highest mountain at just over 4000'
On my visits to Colorado and Montana i have never had a problem, neither have my kids, but my wife did.
After arriving in Denver we spent one night and day then traveled to our vacation home, over 10,000' for a week, my wife became ill, she said it was worse than giving birth, stiff neck and headaches, she actually wanted to fly home after 3 days, she stuck it out and the following week we stayed at around 7000', she was ok then, but she is no rush to go back.
Altitude sickness does not discriminate, you could be a world class athlete at sea level, but stick you up on a mountain at 10,000'+ and even you can become ill.
But you might be fine!
Have a good hunt
Cheers
Richard

FWIW, I don't want to scare anyone but at least once a year in Flagstaff someone would wake up dead in their hotel room. It was never announced if the deceased had any preexisting conditions but the assumption was altitude sickness. Usually deaths happen above 8000 ft however under the right circumstances!!! GJ

I live at about 700 feet elevation. My first trip hunting in Wyoming was in the Big Horns. The first night we got in the area we hiked in about a half mile and set up camp at about 9000 feet. I was fine walking in and during some evening scouting. I did not have any symptoms other than being a little short of breath during some climbing. What hit me was when I tried to get to sleep that night. I could not relax enough to fall asleep. My heart rate just would not come down enough to sleep. I decided to head back out and drop to lower elevation and hunt a different area the first couple days of season to acclimate. If I were to ever go back to higher elevation I would definitely give my self time to adjust to the altitude.

I hiked in NM as a Boy Scout in 1984 and we day hiked over Mt Baldy which I thought was 11,000 feet. No issues as I was 15 Y.O.

Fast forward to 2014 we took a family ski trip to Keystone Resort in Colorado, after a day of downhill from 11,200 I was very fatigued and my legs cramped.

No matter how much water I drank I felt like I had been on a 2 day drinking binge as was whipped.

Not sure what I could do to prepare again besides get in very good shape.

However after day 3 I felt pretty good, except my stomach felt very small and I could only drink 1 beer with dinner, water never filled me.

10Dogs

I have a hard time above 12k w/o acclimatizing...live at 5400'. I think you'll be fine at 9-10k. Most airplanes are at 8k equivalent. Most people are comfortable at that pressure.

Everyone has mentioned staying hydrated. This is good advice. You should also consider taking an aspirin. Altitude causes your blood to thicken. (body starts churning out extra red blood cells to combat oxygen deficit.) Aspirin acts like a blood thinner. It will help alleviate altitude sickness.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
malaskabound20032000@yaho
Back